Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: What is your favourite version of Koufukuron?
Album version 13 44.83%
Single version 16 55.17%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011.11.24, 07:08 PM   #21
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Album version. Because it is totally badass and the only song closest to Ringo doing a screamo.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.30, 10:46 AM   #22
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I prefer the single version for a lot of reasons. I love the opening guitar line, the softer verses, the song is slowed down more so you can really relish the melody, and I especially prefer her singing to be more clear and not so distorted. I used to hate the album version but it really grew on me after a while and it fits perfectly into the context of the album if you listen to it from start to finish, definitely more so than the single version would.

But yeah, the single version is just a very well-crafted pop song. It's one of my favorite early tracks of hers.
Old 2011.11.30, 11:13 AM   #23
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
I changed my mind. Ringohan version is the best.
^this!
I personally can't stand the album version, though live versions of it can be fun in the right mood
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.09, 07:10 AM   #24
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

100% single. I know it was all pop-ified and not the style Ringo wanted, but I just vastly prefer it. It was one of the first Ringo songs I ever heard and I'm just attached. In fact, I HATE the etsuraku-hen (album version) with a burning passion. I choose to never listen to it.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.19, 09:04 PM   #25
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Question? Are there 3 versions of this song?

1st version: the one on the mini CD single, very sugary pop arrangement and clean vocals.

2nd version: the reissue that contains an extra track. Noisier, more rock-oriented arrangement and clean vocals.

3rd version: album version, the one with distorted vocals.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.19, 11:17 PM   #26
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Are there 3 versions of this song?
There's the PV version (found throughout the singles), and there's the -Etsuraku Hen- version (found in the album and briefly in the Electric Mole DVD). The fact that the single and the album have been re-packaged in various ways, doesn't change the fact that there's really only 2 distinct studio versions. There's probably 3+ masterings of the Single version, and 2 masterings of the Album version.

the one on the mini CD single, very sugary pop arrangement and clean vocals.
That was TODT-5144, released on 1998.05.27.
This was also the version of the song used in the PV.
*nods*

the reissue that contains an extra track. Noisier, more rock-oriented arrangement and clean vocals.
Are you talking about TOCT-22011, released on 1999.10.27 (same day as Honnou)?

There's 3 tracks on that single, and only 1 of them is a version of Koufukuron. The one version of Koufukuron that you get on the reissue, is the same recording as the mini-CD, but with different mixing/mastering decisions. It's not different enough from the mini-CD or the PV, to be called a remix or a different arrangement.

The reissue A-side is different in arrangement, only from the album.

album version, the one with distorted vocals.
Muzai Moratorium (1999.02.24) actually came before the Koufukuron reissue, but you're correct about this being another version of the song.
Old 2014.05.05, 11:41 PM   #27
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

The album version grew on me after watching it performed live enough times. But if I don't have that visual aid to go along with the constant franticness, I prefer to listen to the single version.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.15, 12:41 PM   #28
xephyr

xephyr pleased at least somebody

I skip the album version when I can, heard it before I knew of the single ver., which I consider vastly superior and not such an earsore
Old 2014.05.20, 04:52 PM   #29
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

I thought the album version was far too noisy when I first heard it. Then I heard the single version. And I thought it was far too poppy when I first heard it. Then I realized that it's just a good song with a catchy melody. And you can hear that melody with less stress in the original single. The transition from the album to the single version made me appreciate the melody, I think. I was humming the chorus for weeks. Although, I wonder if it would have been better if she released Suberidai instead as a debut single like she wanted.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.20, 09:08 PM   #30
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
I wonder if it would have been better if she released Suberidai instead as a debut single like she wanted.
This guy seems to have the Japanese music industry mostly figured out, though you'll have to forgive his frequent and severe off-topic-ness.

Of particular interest is this section:
Originally Posted by Tim Rogers
2. [the artist] make[s] a song. It's usually not very good.

3. They make more songs. One of them ends up alright. One of them ends up as something handed down by God.
7. The [artist] records a demo.
8. The producer hears the demo, picks two songs -- the alright one, and the one handed down by God -- and decides to re-produce them as a single.

9. The just-alright song is the A-side. The God-handed song is the B-side.
This happens to be the truth with most of the Japanese artists I follow. When this isn't true for a particular artist, that's usually because none of their tracks on any of their releases have ever been handed down by God.