Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2013.08.03, 05:58 PM   #521
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Yeah, the child exploits her cute persona on commercials and singing career, but I wasn't referring to that at all: what she did in that drama Mother (the only one I dug all the way through) was memorable. She co-starred it at age 5 or 6, and delivered such powerful acting that I still come back to those scenes to understand how come this kid was able not only to understand the ins and outs of her character, but also to build up the drama, to change the mood when it was necessary... I don't know, I was surprised with the maturity she showed, and so did Del Toro.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.03, 06:03 PM   #522
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Hmm well, I dunno, I guess she fit the role she had in Pacific Rim pretty well; though this aint a movie you watch for performances. You watch it for giant robots beating the fuck out of giant lizards :-p Oh and Rinko Kikuchi in skintight latex suits.

Carlx, check out Sono Sion's work just before his latest, The Land of Hope and you will see a completely different, gentle (perhaps a bit melodramatic) side to his work that I hope he explores more. For a guy that brings out 3 movies a year on average, the constant level of quality is outstanding. The fact that his work just before Land of Hope, Himizu kinda sorta deals with the same kind of setting but in a much (MUCH) darker light makes it all the more intriguing. Both films are equally poweful but in different way. I don't think I've found a (modern) director from Japan that is quite as varied and gets away with so many artistic decisions (just look at most of his films running times for example) that he does.

The Land Of Hope

Himizu

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.08.03 at 06:09 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.03, 06:26 PM   #523
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
For a guy that brings out 3 movies a year on average
What?! And more importantly: Why?
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.03, 06:47 PM   #524
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno. Cause he can?
Old 2013.09.15, 05:44 AM   #525
deadgrandma

I fucking LOVE The World's End.
Old 2013.09.21, 07:20 PM   #526
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Excited about Fifty Shades of Grey coming out next year!
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.05, 02:57 PM   #527
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Excited about Fifty Shades of Grey coming out next year!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.05, 08:17 PM   #528
deadgrandma

The Grand Budapest Hotel

While I know there's a lot of people on here that are irked by Wes Anderson's movies... this looks pretty damn funny/amazing.

I love the choice of shooting it in 4:3 too, will be keeping my radar out for this one.
Old 2013.11.23, 02:16 PM   #529
deadgrandma

Just saw trailer for Lars Von Trier's Nymphomaniac. Be afraid, this looks fucked. Can't wait though.
Old 2013.11.24, 07:10 AM   #530
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The character poster for that movie with Charlotte Gainsbourg makes me feel all post-pubescent.