Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.03.10, 05:13 AM   #31
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Two items (FFXIII CE EU and CE Official Guide by Piggyback... Fuck Primas, Piggyback still makes the best non-japanese guide-books) added to my little FFXIII-collection... still not quite complete though (next up's the CE Soundtrack).

PS: YES I smuggled this Elixir Set back home in my suitcase... and YES, my back kept hurting for another 2 weeks afterwards
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.10, 08:20 AM   #32
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

What's the difference between the CE official guide, versus the non-CE version? I wasn't aware there were different ones for XIII (then again I haven't been following the Final Fantasy XIII accessories very closely at all). I have the CE guide for Final Fantasy XII, but it's from Prima, so that's not really saying a lot. The RPG guides I respect the most (for their content - not their packaging), have been from DoubleJump. It's basically the size of a manga, crammed full of information far beyond the scope of what Prima guides ever bother to mention. DoubleJump doesn't cover any Square-Enix games though - they mainly cover the games from Nippon Ichi, which I couldn't even imagine Prima or Brady handling very well at all.

The Final Fantasy XIII CE soundtrack is very nice from a packaging standpoint, but it and the regular version soundtrack aren't so special from a listening standpoint. I'm hardly a Nobuo Uematsu fanboy, so my criticism toward the Final Fantasy XIII soundtrack isn't based on "It should've been another Uematsu score". Granted, the Japanese releases (CE and regular) aren't infected with Leona Lewis, but.. I have to say that Final Fantasy XIII isn't Masashi Hamauzu's best. His contributions for Final Fantasy X were consistently better (he basically did a quarter of that soundtrack), and his best songs in Dirge of Cerberus were far better than his best songs in XIII. Buying the CE soundtrack for Final Fantasy XIII, is like buying the Heisei Fuuzoku DVD when we'd rather buy something like that for KSK if we could. If you're on a mission to own all the bells and whistles related to Final Fantasy XIII, then go ahead and buy the CE soundtrack anyway. If you happen to like the material, then I strongly recommend you listen to the Dirge of Cerberus soundtrack if you haven't already.
Old 2010.03.10, 09:01 AM   #33
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Where did you get that poster at the back? I've been trying to track down a big one like that for my brother.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.10, 09:16 AM   #34
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I got a couple of full-size posters from CD Japan, but they were available only as pre-order items. They were basically made-to-order - as were a lot of other Final Fantasy XIII goodies offered by CD Japan.
Old 2010.03.10, 10:08 AM   #35
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

That's that then I can readily get that poster where her leg looks elongated but I don't want it.

Edit: managed to get an alternative poster for XIII the ones that the game shops put up! also picked up an FF IV one for myself cheap!

Name:  XIII.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  32.7 KB
Name:  IV.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  35.3 KB

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2010.03.10 at 01:04 PM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.11, 03:28 AM   #36
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

@Glath Well, the CE guide book has a (really high quality) hardcover and the regular edition doesn't ... I wasn't able to compare the contents yet, so I
can't tell if there are any differences regarding that, too.
Piggyback have been covering all the regular FF series in Europe, starting FF VIII and I can recommend pretty much all of them - they also cover a lot of other big franchises here, like Soul Calibur, Legend of Zelda, etc.
They always provide a high print and paper quality and usually cover all the topics, you'd want for the specific game.
Wish they had done something for The Last Remnant as well =/.

I own the Dirge of Cerberus Soundtrack and I totally agree that some of it's tracks are superior to most of the FFXIII ones, but I still appreciate the ingame music a lot and I like the atmosphere it creates... so I'm not only going to buy the CE OST for it's packaging.

@Bingo that's not a poster, it's the inside of the lid of the Elixir Set.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote