Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.02.11, 08:51 AM   #241
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

Maou, you mention that this is a "double A-side." Do we know if either/both of them are on the album?
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 09:07 AM   #242
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

SR. It used to be her image that was controversial.
Now, it's her music that is causing us to be up in arms.

She's not really a peaceful person is she?
Old 2011.02.11, 09:07 AM   #243
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
Maou, you mention that this is a "double A-side." Do we know if either/both of them are on the album?
My guess would be that only Sora ga Natteiru will be on the next Tokyo Jihen album along with Tengoku e Youkoso (and maybe Dopamint). Onna no Ko for the next solo Shiina album.
Old 2011.02.11, 09:10 AM   #244
oh opeo

oh opeo pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
...will be on the next Tokyo Jihen album along with Tengoku e Youkoso (and maybe Dopamint).
Well shit.
They'd might as well throw in another remake of "Marounochi Sadistic" while they're still at it.
oh opeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 09:11 AM   #245
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

You gotta remember that we're just observers to someone else's art.

We arent entitled to anything.

If theres music you're dying to hear and you arent hearing it, grab a guitar or sit in front of a keyboard and start writing. thats what drives creativity.

Its been 7 years since she made the music most of us know her for. And some of us are waiting and waiting for a train thats never coming back. The torch has been passed on. I dont like showtunes either, but thats where her heart is. Thats where she's coming from in her life now, I guess? a happy happy joy joy land.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2011.02.11 at 09:20 AM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 09:16 AM   #246
Andikki

Andikki is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
<loads of haughty crap>
... says a person with Muse in his top 5. Which humbles your judgement at least for me. And I wouldn't resort to notions like this if it wasn't for your tone.
Andikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 09:29 AM   #247
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Note: Please please do yourself a favour and don't refer to Onna no Ko... as "jazz". It's insulting to Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans and Bobby Hutcherson. Onna no Ko is more like a Broadway or Disney showtune.

Actually, I recall that SR wanted to be a songwriter for idol girl groups.
I think it's a good opportunity for her to go do that now...
Old 2011.02.11, 12:23 PM   #248
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
You gotta remember that we're just observers to someone else's art.

We arent entitled to anything.

If theres music you're dying to hear and you arent hearing it, grab a guitar or sit in front of a keyboard and start writing. thats what drives creativity.

Its been 7 years since she made the music most of us know her for. And some of us are waiting and waiting for a train thats never coming back. The torch has been passed on. I dont like showtunes either, but thats where her heart is. Thats where she's coming from in her life now, I guess? a happy happy joy joy land.
This a load of crap, no offense. The old "if you don't like the soup, make your own!" defense. Its bull crap. I am not a chef or a musician or a songwriter. I don't know how to make a song I will like (I am using the inclusive "I".) I do know Shiina Ringo used to be pretty adept at it though. So wtf happened? Why shouldn't I complain? Its like you open up a Coke and it tastes like swill, or it tastes like Pineapple juice. "But I don't like Pineapple juice! If I wanted Pineapple juice, I would have gotten a can clearly labeled as Pineapple juice." What if Coke decided they don't like making cola anymore and wanted to make Pineapple juice all along? (As some allude to Shiina wanting to make showtunes.) "Then they shouldn't have been making cola in the first place if they didn't want people to complain when they started making mainly pineapple juice." I don't need to make cola to know I like cola better, and it's pretty darn difficult to just wake up and make some of your own. If I have bought a coke for many years, I have grown a certain expectation of coke.

Fuck da pineapples.

We are entitled to say something because, yes its her art, but it's also public product. If someone stole a cassette tape of this song that Shiina never intended a wide audience to hear -- then of course criticism of this level would be audacious. But as far as I know, all the music I and my brood bitch about are all published, widely available work. This means a whole committee of people said "yes, this is fit for the world to consume." So the whole "its my art you aren't entitled to jack" sentiment is lost. And to that, we can't tell her what to record and what not to, as much as we may like to. But to say we can't complain is silly.

(and being happy for Coke now that it's making pineapple juice is equally silly.)

And also, no showtunes or no, Princess and the Frog and Tangled were GREAT movies. And c'mon, "Almost There" was an awesome sequence!
Old 2011.02.11, 12:26 PM   #249
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Broadway isn't one spin-off of jazz?
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 12:39 PM   #250
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Almost There was good, but then it went downhill..from there (daaaaaaaw haaaaaaaaaaaaw).

Mother Knows Best from Tangled was also good. That's it though.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote