Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2013.07.01, 05:56 AM   #1
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community
Default Demo tape thoughts.

Another dumb thread time!

In this one, we explore Shiina's demo tapes: what song would you have liked to heard as a full release? what release do you wish were more like the demo version? why is this a thread? etc, etc.

As silly as it is, I've always wanted to see My Side of the Bed, her cover of the Bangles song, as a proper arrangement (go Utaite Myouri part deux!). Also, I think the demo arrangement of Gamble far outclasses either ZCS or HF, what with the piano intro and all.

Anyway, thoughts?
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.03, 04:46 PM   #2
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The demo version of Aozora is one of my favorites period, and I agree about Gamble.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.29, 11:17 PM   #3
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Really, the worst stuff on Ringo's demos are on par with what some other artists are coasting on. I wouldn't say that any of the tracks are bad, necessarily. But my favorite songs from the demo are mostly ones that were adapted into full studio versions very early in her career. I'm afraid my opinion may be due by the fact that I was already in love with these songs prior to listening to the early versions. These songs include "Aozora", "Headphone", and "Onaji Yoru". Her young vibrato in the demo version of "Rinne Highlight" gave me chills the first time I heard it.

There were other songs in the demo that made me really understand the appeal of the official versions, such as "Koko de Kisu Shite" and "Daijoubu". On the other hand, I feel that some songs were really improved with just minor changes, such as in "Don't you think" and "Sakana". I understand why she held out on a lot of material until her second album, as it made all the difference in some of the tracks. But I will say that I almost crapped myself when I heard the demo of "Honnou". All I could think about was how young Ringo was when she imagined that beast of a song. The English lyrics also pleasantly surprised me -- unlike "A New Way to Fly".

As for songs that were demo exclusives, I thought that "Sanso wo Kudasai", "How are you" and "Unconditional Love" had a lot of potential. That would be a single I would purchase.

Edit: I strongly prefer the HF version of "Gamble". What do you like about the demo version?
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.30, 10:14 AM   #4
hedgehog

hedgehog has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The only demo I preferred over the final would be 17. There was a certain charm to the lo-fi recording. These demos also make me curious about her personal beliefs. She has 2 songs with Jesus in the title. What's the history there?
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.30, 07:54 PM   #5
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Man, I gotta revisit these demos again. Can't agree with the Gamble demo being better than ZCS or HF though...
Old 2014.05.01, 07:34 AM   #6
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I like Shampoo.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.01, 10:14 AM   #7
kalmia

To me, it has always been Demo < ZCS < HF. I felt that each new version was an improvement instrumentally and vocally. Gamble is a beast of a song so the stripped down demo seemed awkward for me. The orchestra is a big part of the reason I fell in love with that song. But then again, it probably doesn't help that I listened to the versions in reverse order.

I like Shampoo too but I felt like the main ideas in that song could have easily been adapted to some of her other compositions. There are a number of solo and Jihen songs that have a similar vibe and sound. It specifically reminds me of a early prototype of Kenshou Naoshi. Of course the melody and tempo are different but the same types of instruments are present and they play similar roles.
Old 2014.05.02, 02:36 AM   #8
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

There is so much raw talent evident in these demo tapes, I wonder what it's like to receive something like that as a talent scout.
Old 2014.05.03, 05:38 AM   #9
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I love the poppy-ish arrangement of the Tsuki ni Makeinu demo. and Sigma too

Last edited by matan-san : 2014.05.03 at 11:53 PM.
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.05, 08:07 PM   #10
kalmia

Yes, that arrangement of Tsuki ni Makeinu is truly something. Those verses really pull at the strings of my heart. The change is something like what she did with the versions of Koufukuron, isn't it? The demo version of Sigma just irritates me though. That's like a different song, for real.