Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.16, 11:29 PM   #31
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Since we're on the topic of skipping tracks...

MM: Sid to hakuchumuu, sometimes Onaji yoru; I NEVER skip Tadashii machi, Marusa or Keikoku

SS: Identity, benkai debussy, sometimes Gibs, Tsumi to batsu and stoicism. Never skip Kyogensho, Honnou, or Izonsho. Of all of SR's albums I think this has aged the worst; it does feel about 10 minutes too long half the time these days.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.17, 01:02 AM   #32
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I actually really like the Redbull article. It's refreshingly not racist at all in comparison to most other articles I've seen written about her (not an ounce of "Japan is SO weird, guys!"), and it looks at her work in context of SR's life, ideology, and musical tastes. I think it gets a lot of it right because it's written by a woman for once, to be honest. My biggest issue about the article is that I think it exaggerates how powerful she was in the early 2000s. Even though Ringo explained Honnou was meant to be a kind of feminist statement about the autonomy of feminine sexuality, it came off looking like fake lesbian softcore (she claims it was supposed to have taken place on a cyberpunk spaceship?). Her view of her later work is obviously very dismissive, but it's interesting to hear a Gaijin [woman!!!] talk about her work with the attitude towards Ringo shared by many native Japanese people in the alternative music scenes. I really like the article - harsh and yet idealistic, and always frank. It's melodramatic, but I feel like it at least reflects the personality of the international SR community itself. Besides, she was a huge fan of SR back in 2003 and actually attended EM - how many of us can claim that? (Respect.)

This is a forum for fans of SR to talk about her and her work. Social and artistic analysis should be welcomed, but it rarely is posted or welcomed. I feel alienated from EMF because of how often SR is sexualized, when I'm a homosexual man who views her as a personal inspiration and artistic muse. I feel like I'm one of the very few who attempts to discuss her work with a social justice context. People dis others for liking certain works without ever giving justification, and no one discusses her lyrics in spite of their brilliance and the many wonderful translations (that were very difficult to make) of them by Frecklegirl. Every time I've posted a topic about analyzing her lyrics or music, I've been profusely thanked by some and ridiculed as a "mad scientist" trying to quantify her work by others. So many regulars of EMF have left, and there's a decidedly different flavor of discussion here now.

SR will always be, to me, a genius... an enigma... a woman who is strong and weak... a kindred spirit... an eccentric... a human. I think even her recent work is feminist, but not the kind of feminism people think all feminism is. Her work is very intelligent and idiomatic, and more people would know that if they contextualized her work (reading lyrics, reading about Japan's culture and history, studying her musical influences, etc.) and allowed it to be what it is, which is indisputably more than just visceral musical satisfaction.
Old 2014.11.17, 03:32 AM   #33
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It would be nice to read a gaijin article that isn't so entry level sometime though.

A lot reads like any given thread on here tbh.

Oh well, better an article about Ringo than another stupid article trying to convince people that kpop is revolutionary.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.17 at 03:42 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.17, 08:08 AM   #34
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ don't think it's revolutionary but a lot of it is very, very good. Am constantly surprised by how much I enjoy shit by Bigbang (for instance). Lol.
Old 2014.11.17, 03:44 PM   #35
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
...Social and artistic analysis should be welcomed, but it rarely is posted or welcomed. I feel alienated from EMF because of how often SR is sexualized, when I'm a homosexual man who views her as a personal inspiration and artistic muse. I feel like I'm one of the very few who attempts to discuss her work with a social justice context...
Justice, smustice. Good for you if in your mind you have that special relationship with her. I'm not ready to elevate the relationship to that level yet. I'm just a regular customer who would only see her at work. The relationship is extremely casual. Anyone who has tried her or simply looked at her is entitled to an opinion. If a girl is that special to me, I keep her to myself. Never feel alienated for not sharing.

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.11.17 at 06:04 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.17, 04:21 PM   #36
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Umm. Not going near that discussion....
Old 2014.11.17, 04:49 PM   #37
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Justice, smustice. Good for you if in your mind you have that special relationship with her. I'm not ready to elevate the relationship to that level yet. I'm just a regular costumer who would only see her at work. The relationship is extremely casual. Anyone who has tried her or simply looked at her is entitled to an opinion. If a girl is that special to me, I keep her to myself. Never feel alienated for not sharing.
I really appreciate your support. Me and Ringo spent a long time discussing it before she felt comfortable with me posting about our relationship on an internet forum... now I guess the cat is out of the bag! Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go read some art magazines where every critic also knows the artist they're critiquing personally.
Old 2014.11.17, 05:52 PM   #38
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Guess I'm going to have to go near that discussion...

Entry№1, your thoughts and opinions are appreciated and valued by some of us, and you shouldn't shy away from expressing them merely because they might occasionally evoke a baffling, inexplicable comment from one or two other people.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.17, 06:13 PM   #39
gekokujyo

Yes I will defend to death the right of anybody to irrationally love Carnation even if I will also vehemently shit on that opinion every chance I get =p
Old 2014.11.17, 06:38 PM   #40
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

We've discussed it before, but I disagree with DG regarding lyrics.

Your 3 favorite musicians are incredibly famous for their lyrics. Like, it's an integral part of their music. I agree that they need to be more than JUST their lyrics (after all, a song with good lyrics and bad music is not a good song), but the fact is that their lyrics are noted to be atypically transgressive.

I once had a discussion once with why Togawa Jun is not "guro-kawaii". And it goes back to what Entry No.1 said, because placing her work into a larger context illuminates that she's not just going for the shock factor or the gross factor, she's making deeper social commentary.

I'm not saying that you have to go learn Japanese right this minute DG, but it'd be nice if we could talk about Oomori's lyrics honestly. After all, she IS saying something, and it's great that you feel a deep emotional connection with her even with a language barrier. But I think there is value in what she writes and says as well.

How do you feel about the English-language lyrics that Shiina has written? I was listening to Put Your Camera Down and those might be the strongest she has (maybe alongside Kao). Incredibly moving, and they are natural sounding as well, unlike Kaban no Nakami and others.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote