Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.08.23, 07:02 AM   #21
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Taiwan??? Well, that was more crawling back to her feet, but still, she was on all fours there...
I really hope you get that clip. XD

--

Back to OP, I'm don't really put the contextual intent as something to consider (above other things) when listening to music. So it's a song about young girls or a lover, who gives, but then again, maybe because I'm in a foreigner perspective who don't even understand the lyrics? But no, I think I am like that in songs I can understand. Music first, then enjoy the other stuff like lyrics after.

GIPS and KOKO are simple rocks songs that I enjoy greatly. Yeah, I would definitely not use it as an introduction to Ringo. But it's moving despite its simplicity. That I think is what A LIFE SUPREME is aiming for, but isn't at par with the two.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.23, 10:19 PM   #22
harry4567

harry4567 raises the standards of what a community can offer

I am also a new fan, who started to listen Ringo's catalog around 2013, but I started my listen from MM. I like all older material (but NOT with their original deafening mastering which can still apply to the new materials) -- MM, SS, KZK and Watashi no Houden (the compilation of the older singles). Some of my favourite songs are Marunouchi Sadistic, Izonshou, Yokushitsu etc.
harry4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.24, 03:49 AM   #23
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I got into her around the time Shouso strip just came out. I remember being terrified of Tsumi to batsu and hopelessly in love with Gips. These days I love both equally.

I'd say when I first got into her my 'music education' was fairly nascent and I had to learn to like a lot of things.

That said, my very first listen to MM was magic, especially when she starts the verses of Tadashii machi. My Japanese knowledge then was probably like, 5 months old, but everything sounded like catchy poetry. And then I would go on to learn about what she was actually singing about, and started to love her more.

Many people consider KSK as the "holy grail" album but for me, it's always MM for what she accomplished with so little. It's philosophically almost like what she did with Jihen - less complex production, but stellar songwriting + performance.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.24, 11:41 AM   #24
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Gekokujyo Ecstasy sucks.
Ooh yeah, just like that.

Now, say something about SS being overproduced compared to MM.
Old 2015.08.24, 02:23 PM   #25
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Ooh yeah, just like that.
You sayin' you want a piece o' me? You got it!

It's totally cool if you enjoy all the technical guitar work being crapped on. Go ahead and compare the chorus of Izonshou to the SS version let alone the ending solo. The solo in Kyogenshou? The chorus that doesn't repeat on the album? The guitar break in GX Aozora? Riveting stuff. All the intricate synth and electronics from SS? Gone. I'd take the album versions of almost any MM/SS song over the GX version.

If you want to say you like it for other reasons, go ahead. I mean, I respect this:

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Okay, fine. As pure music, GE doesn't rank well.
and the rest of that post more than whatever bullshit you're trying to imply with this:

Now, say something about SS being overproduced compared to MM.
An impossibility when the opposite is more true. Still, wouldn't it have been nice if I had mentioned something in the same vein in that very post you quoted...

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
It's very hard to separate MM and SS since the majority of the songs were written at the same time. You can take almost any song on one album and put it on the other without blinking.
Oh. I guess I meant to say if the production wasn't so different, right? And in case you're wondering, it's Yami ni Furu Ame and Tsumi to Batsu that I feel wouldn't fit on MM as well as the rest of the songs.

*shrugs* Whatever. If you think I'm being nitpicky and hyperbolic, you don't need to try to be so cute with it.
Old 2015.08.24, 02:31 PM   #26
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I was saying that your statement piqued my interest and tried to direct you in a way to further inspire me.
Old 2015.08.24, 02:32 PM   #27
Tokyo Jihad

Like a phone sex thing. ya dig
Old 2015.08.24, 02:45 PM   #28
Maou

I was saying that your statement piqued my interest and tried to direct you in a way to further inspire me.

Like a phone sex thing. ya dig
No. Stop messing with my head. I'm too old for your young shenanigans.

All I got to say is that I'd rather endure another decade of Ukigumo than listen to Yayoshi.
Old 2015.08.24, 02:50 PM   #29
Tokyo Jihad

I think thats just EMF PTSD bro.
Old 2015.08.24, 05:57 PM   #30
Maou

I think thats just EMF PTSD bro.
Gives some real context to me quoting Frank Costanza.

"Maou, eat a Snickers."