Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
View Poll Results: Do you like Heisei Fuzoku?
Yes! I love it!! 21 36.21%
Yeah, its a good album. 24 41.38%
I Don't hate it. 11 18.97%
No, I do not like it at all. 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.06.09, 12:27 AM   #21
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
See, i thought the vocals were bored and lacking. I just chalked that up to the style and not to Shiina, however.
Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Oiran is terrible and Gamble is almost ruined by him. Gamble would have been so much better without his guitar sucking the life out of the song.
This is a common reaction to jazzier styles, particularly show-tune jazz. The vocals (and to a smaller degree, Uki's guitar on Gamble) both employ a lot more tricks (vibratos, embellishments on the note beginnings and endings, a general smoothness in the delivery) compared to a more straightforward rock style. Many people, especially people less familiar with the traditions of jazz, think the use of these tricks makes the music less genuine emotionally. So I think you're right to chalk up your perceived "bored and lacking"-ness to style, but all the participants on the album (SR especially) were excellent in their delivery in this style.

I always use as this as one of the selling points for her music: you are guaranteed to dislike at least one of her songs for stylistic reasons.

While I am not a huge fan of Ukigumo's playing (especially his generally flat tone on electric), I think his playing on Gamble was tasteful. And he doesn't even play on Oiran...

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.09, 12:42 AM   #22
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by zach View Post
While I am not a huge fan of Ukigumo's playing (especially his generally flat tone on electric), I think his playing on Gamble was tasteful. And he doesn't even play on Oiran...
But Uki wrote it
Oiran is ok for me but I can't stand his guitar in Gamble HF ver.
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.09, 01:58 AM   #23
vayerism

vayerism is headed in the right direction

I always use as this as one of the selling points for her music: you are guaranteed to dislike at least one of her songs for stylistic reasons.

I think so, Gamble's guitar is nothing special to me (not my style) but I found it does not ruin the song up at least, and I think Shuraba (Adult) & Genjitsu wo Warau @ JCHI UKI's guitar is kind of impressed me.
vayerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.11, 03:45 AM   #24
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

Hey, I think I'm a bit slow to post anything here now but nvm..

Overall, HF sounds good, mature, grand and I love the atmosphere it brings about.

So i guess the reason I do not really dig it as much as I do to other albums might be because it sounds too adult and mature for my age.

Maybe in another next 3 years, I could give it more stars for the rating.

I like Sakuran the most!!! I usually fancy myself playing for my future boyfriend, showing him who's the boss ( I just don't know why the song gives me that impression)
baboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.11, 08:38 AM   #25
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by baboo View Post
Hey, I think I'm a bit slow to post anything here now but nvm..

Overall, HF sounds good, mature, grand and I love the atmosphere it brings about.

So i guess the reason I do not really dig it as much as I do to other albums might be because it sounds too adult and mature for my age.

Maybe in another next 3 years, I could give it more stars for the rating.

I like Sakuran the most!!! I usually fancy myself playing for my future boyfriend, showing him who's the boss ( I just don't know why the song gives me that impression)
I don't know, I'm 19 and I love this album. I think you might listen to it more when you are older but more than just 3 years
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.11, 08:45 PM   #26
baboo

Oh, hi, I'm 19 too...

But one problem is that I've always been thinking that I'm 17 since 2 years ago...Some sort of mental disorder.

HF also has some cute stuff like papaya mango so fairly speaking, I love it depending on my mood also...Haiz, just watched some phrase 1 TJ video and I could not wait to hear more from Shiina
Old 2007.06.11, 09:13 PM   #27
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Do old people really like slower music because they're old, or just because it's what they grew up listening to?
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.11, 09:21 PM   #28
baboo

Not really, I think tempo does not matter here....

It's the sound.

ANyway, that's also up to individual's taste
Guess that's why I don't like Morning Musume while my elder brother's totally crazy about them (other factors are involved here...so...your theory is not 100% wrong)

I grow up liking Capsule too. Check them out, poppish and kiddish at first glance but it's irresistiable to adults' ears
Old 2007.06.14, 02:51 PM   #29
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I voted for 'Yeah, it's a good album' because I like it and it's not one of my favorites.

And has no one yet commented on her voice on this album? She sounds way more mature vocally. Crisper, smoother, more polished, confident, like she's learned what she can do and what she can't, and that's added on to her usual fantastic vibrato control, her always-impeccable tonal control, and her consistently accurate emotional interpretation. And I seriously dig the new vocal tricks she's trying. To me the vocals are the high point of HF, making it thoroughly enjoyable for any fan of SR's stylistic journey.
Gah, I really like your reviews, Zach! >_< I wish I could give you reputation points for all of them.

I also like her different voice style, too, because it's interesting to see her cover and nail all these styles. But, there's just one thing that bothers me about her voice in "Gamble." It sounds like she went off key a few times, especially at the end of the choruses. (Especially in the BokuOngaku perf, it sounds like she had a hard time finding and keeping that one long note. I forgot what lyrics she's singing at the time.) But, is that because the notes are arranged that it's hard to sing? I noticed that even in the ZCS version, but because her voice seems more 'raw' there, it sounds like she got it okay. And, I grew to enjoy the squeaky 'ka's, too.

Oh, hi, I'm 19 too...

But one problem is that I've always been thinking that I'm 17 since 2 years ago...Some sort of mental disorder.
Omg hahahhahah, Baboo, you're so cute!! XDD
Old 2007.06.16, 09:54 AM   #30
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh, hi, I'm 19 too...

HF also has some cute stuff like papaya mango so fairly speaking, I love it depending on my mood also...Haiz, just watched some phrase 1 TJ video and I could not wait to hear more from Shiina
I get that way too sometimes....except I'm 22. I can remember listening to 17 when I was actually 17 and the impact it had on me then. Now I listen to it and it really pulls into focus how much 5 years changes you. I think Ringo really must have realized that when she dusted off these demos for b-sides and such.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote