Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2010.04.06, 08:16 PM   #21
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

There's a demo of Public Sickbed...?

"Before You Walk Out of My Life" is amazing, both Ringo's and Monica's versions. I love them both, really. Speaking of which, some people think Ringo changed the lyrics of the song for her "version", when I don't believe this is the case. To me it sounds like Ringo is merely getting words mixed up between the first and second verses. Remember, this was back when Ringo was much less proficient with English than she is today.

Like when she sings "with the memories that won't hide" I think she's actually just getting two phrases from the original song mixed up ("with the memories that can't be erased" and "hung so high").

As for my favorite demo songs that didn't get recorded... Orgel, Shampoo, Aozora, Don't U Think? (which, like other people on the board have mentioned before, has a very school dance kind of feel to it), How are You?, Girl, and Marvelous Day(s). Aozora and Gips are kind of complicated, because I love all versions of the songs soooo much. I think they made the right move with the pop-rock versions of the songs getting the studio treatment because of their originality, but the demo arrangements are great too. Especially Aozora. The kitschy Bossa arrangement is just delicious, especially the cheesy segue into the verses. Hahaha.

The thing that freaks me out most though, is the demo for Yami ni Furu Ame. A little girl made this?
Old 2010.04.07, 02:43 AM   #22
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Negative. The music-box verse is almost the definition of an SR melody to me. It almost sounds like she revisited the instrumentation of this song for Tamatebako.
according to Ringo~Bingo this is a cover of a song called Hari no Nai Tokei by Terasaka Tomohiro. I don't know where he got this information... I wasn't able to verify it (maybe a Japanese speaker can?). I agree that the melody is very SR so I think he may have been wrong about this info.

Originally Posted by Cinders View Post
To me it sounds like a very generic 70s jpop song, which is why I love it.
you're probably right... I can't really tell the difference because it all sounds the same to me
Old 2010.04.07, 04:13 AM   #23
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
according to Ringo~Bingo this is a cover of a song called Hari no Nai Tokei by Terasaka Tomohiro. I don't know where he got this information... I wasn't able to verify it
I got that from a Japanese site if I recall correctly? I saw it more than once and the initial list seemed pretty comprehensive so I'm kinda confident in it's accuracy.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.07, 05:13 AM   #24
a_grumble_cake

omg it's Bingooooo

well, if it is true then I REALLY want to listen to the original. Google isn't helping, though.
Old 2010.04.07, 05:40 AM   #25
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I couldn't find it either I remember looking for info on those demos and I wanted to compare the two to confirm it was the same song but also had little luck.

Edit: a lazy search brings up photos of this guy so I'm guessing it's him! though judging by the fact I can't find any of his videos or records perhaps he doesn't have any out? might be one of those local guys who makes a living on the live music circuit.

His fansite... http://under.doghowls.com/

Name:  Terasaka Tomohiro.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  49.7 KB

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2010.04.07 at 06:05 AM.
Old 2010.04.07, 06:08 AM   #26
a_grumble_cake

Originally Posted by Archades View Post
Edit: a lazy search brings up photos of this guy so I'm guessing it's him! though judging by the fact I can't find any of his videos or records perhaps he doesn't have any out? might be one of those local guys who makes a living on the live music circuit.
that's true... if he's one of those guys she used to know/play with before her debut it makes sense that we can't find anything about him. What a shame...
Old 2010.04.07, 09:02 AM   #27
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Well I at least found out a few things... here's his name "テラサカトモヒロ" here's his official site here and you can buy a CD of his here at Amazon. His website had 4 audio samples none of which matches the Ringo song I can't find any mention of the song in question so perhaps somebody else would have better luck finding more on him?

I sent an email to the fansite owner too asking about the song but I'm not sure I'll get a reply.
Old 2010.04.07, 11:51 AM   #28
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

It would be great to find the original, but I can only offer elementary Japanese .

Hari no Nai Tokei ("針のない時計") means Clock Without Hands, which must be like the ticking clock in the SR demo.

Putting that into the search on the fansite Bingo found brings up several mentions of the song in live performances.

[edited:] Terasaka's biography on that fansite mentions the 1995 Teens' Music Festival, which I think is the same one Ringo also participated in with Marvelous Marbles [but I can't read it very well*]

Last edited by so_cold : 2010.04.07 at 03:34 PM. Reason: *there's no mention of her in that bio fwiw. *goes to sleep*
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.07, 04:42 PM   #29
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
There's a demo of Public Sickbed...?
Yeah, Denaosu Kara, right? I could be wrong, but to me the choruses sound identical in terms of melody.
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.07, 04:54 PM   #30
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I'd have to listen closer to decide whether or not I think they sound identical... but they definitely do sound similar. Great find!