Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.12.19, 03:47 PM   #11
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Some 2008 albums I've been enjoying, in no particular order.

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
We Started Nothing - The Ting Tings
Santogold - Santogold
The Virgins - The Virgins
19 - Adele
Pied Piper - the pillows
Detours - Sheryl Crow
No Sokute - Soko (just a 5-song EP, but that's all she has right now)

Walk, Don't Talk by Beats and Styles was going to be way up on my list, but I just recently found out it was released in 2007, not 2008 like I thought. Guess I missed the boat on that one.
Old 2008.12.19, 04:01 PM   #12
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

I have to choose "The Week That Was" as my favourite album of 2008. I clicked with it instantly. Also, Zazen Boys' 4, Portishead, and Deolinda - "Cancao ao Lado".
Old 2008.12.19, 04:23 PM   #13
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

This can still be a good year for me, upon review. I still haven't made the effort to connect with several albums, such as Bon Iver, M83, Fleet Foxes, Deerhunter, etc...

1. She & Him, surprised I didn't see this on the list guys, this is a great, consistent debut.
2. Los Campesinos, didn't know if I should include these guys, since I've never been able to survive an entire listen through the album. Taken in small doses, however, no one brightens up my day faster than these guys.
3. Flight of the Conchords, sure, there are definitive ver. of these songs elsewhere, but can you really leave these guys out in a year as lean as this one?
4. Crystal Castles, another great debut, another cd better taken in small doses.
5. Jenny Lewis, solid effort, very good songs spreadout although there's really nothing here that knocks my socks off.
6. Ladyhawke, she hasn't been getting the recognition she deserves in year end lists. This is a very catchy album. It's not just about "Paris is Burning."

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.19, 05:27 PM   #14
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh yeah, I love She & Him. Acid Tongue is also pretty nice, as well.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.19, 06:31 PM   #15
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm going to end my night by listening to a few of these albums while playing Counter Strike Source.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.19, 06:37 PM   #16
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

#1 Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
#2 of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
#3 Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
#4 Girl Talk - Feed The Animals
#5 M83 - Saturdays=Youth
#6 Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
#7 Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
#8 椎名林檎 - 座禅エクスタシー
#9 The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me
#10 Spangle call Lilli line - ISOLATION
#11 TV on the Radio - Dear Science
#12 Santogold - Santogold
#13 Lykke Li - Youth Novels
#14 Spangle call Lilli line - PURPLE
#15 Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
#16 Britney Spears - Circus
#17 the telephones - JAPAN
#18 フルカワミキ - Bondage Heart
#19 Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
#20 宇多田ヒカル - HEART STATION

And yes I included Zazen Ecstasy! I had to. lol
There's my synopsis of each album plus YouTube links to my favourite tracks here:
http://www.jessemallon.com/blog/2008...lbums-of-2008/
Old 2008.12.19, 06:51 PM   #17
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I'm totally ripping your blog off and making an oh-so-similar list on my blog too, Jesse. Not that end of year lists are uncommon on blogs but I only thought of doing it after reading yours. It gives me something to do; I haven't updated my blog in a long while aside from my recent post about goats I'll post it tomorrow; I still need to write up the top 5.

I'm already finding albums that will disrupt my list, such as 'Hercules and Love Affair'

Edit: A lot of these albums are so not Counter Strike soundtracks, Fluffie. But it humours me to imagine you playing it while listening to bare-bones acoustic folk
Old 2008.12.19, 08:06 PM   #18
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
I'm totally ripping your blog off and making an oh-so-similar list on my blog too, Jesse. Not that end of year lists are uncommon on blogs but I only thought of doing it after reading yours. It gives me something to do; I haven't updated my blog in a long while aside from my recent post about goats I'll post it tomorrow; I still need to write up the top 5.
Yeah, it took me hours to decide the order of the albums.. and then hours to write it all up and find all the youtube links. I managed to kill a fair bit of time. XD

I'll also be posting my most listened to songs/artists (from last.fm), on the 31st.
Old 2008.12.20, 04:34 AM   #19
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Your blog post is awesome Jesse! Easier to check what I don't know
Currently listening to Spangle Call Lilli Line's "Cast a spell on her"~ It sounds nice <3
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.25, 05:31 PM   #20
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Alright, I'm going to make a list. Even though I haven't listened to as many albums as most of you guys, I still think I've heard enough from plenty of different genres and levels of popularity, so hopefully it'll be interesting and not a carbon copy of what you've already seen. Oh, and I'm not going to put them in any particular order, because this is pretty much just a grouping of my favorite albums, and I don't have the time to rank them and what not (as if it makes a difference, anyway.)

Acid Tongue, by Jenny Lewis. It's a really different sound compared to what she did with those twin girls (forget their names) and I like the result. Acid Tongue and The Next Messiah are definitely the best songs on the album. Although, I hate that song called Black Sand, or something along those lines. Her voice is absolutely grating on it. Otherwise, it's an album I can appreciate.

Volume One, by She & Him. Zooey Deschanel is freaking hot, and she can sing too! The best track is definitely Why Do You Let Me Stay Here, but all together, its such a mellow and easy-listening experience. I love it. Sometimes her voice can get annoying, but I guess that can said about Shiina too, so whatever (Well, I can admit that, but I still love the lady to death.)

Reveries, by Pacific!. Uh, its more easy-listening, since that's just the kind of music I'm into. I discovered them through these Indie-playlist torrents I used to download (but stopped, because they were about 700MB each, and I eventually came to the realization that they are mostly full of crap.) Anyway, my favorite tracks on it are Number One and Hot Lips. I think the most popular song on it is Sunset Blvd., though, but I can't find a video that isn't a remix of it on Youtube.

Oracular Spectacular, MGMT.

Day & Age, The Killers. I'm a big fan of them, and Goodnight, Travel Well is just plain awesome. How can you truly dislike it? C'mon.

Made In The Dark, by Hot Chip. Strange, my least favorite song on the album seems to be the most popular with its fans (Ready For The Floor.) I had never heard of them before, so yeah. Although my brother has been in to them for like years, I guess. Shake A Fist is great, I love turning it up real loud while driving with my friends, especially at the "sounds of the studio" part.

Devotion, by Beach House. My favorite song is Gila. It's a good song to listen to when you're sad (I started to like it just after I broke up with my girlfriend, so I guess that explains it.) Wedding Bells is also a nice track, although I still don't know what the lyrics are even after 30 or so plays.

Með Suð í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust, by Sigur Rós. Gobbledigook!

VAMPIRE WEEKEND! My favorite album without a doubt! I have at least like 15 plays on each song (and that's a lot for me, haha.) Except for Boston, but that's because it wasn't on the version I downloaded or something. Truly excellent.

I'm still catching up with other top lists though, so I still have a ton of listening to do, but I basically mentioned everything. Other albums I like but that aren't good enough to be called favorites: Rockferry by Duffy, Heart Station by Utada Hikaru, Jukebox by Catpower, Does You Inspire You by Chairlift, Anywhere I Lay My Head by Scarlett Johansson (Falling Down is the best), and uh, Perfect Symmetry by Keane.

Favorite tracks: Love Comes and Goes, Bag of Hammers, Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?, Paris Is Burning (haven't been able to check out the rest of the album, yet, but it looks promising.), Paranoid (hate the album, hate him, but I have no problem admitting this is a good song.), Metal Heart (although I really prefer the original on Moon Pix)

Blah, I spent way too much time on this post. Oh well.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote