Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.03.31, 05:07 PM   #81
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

has it really been 10 years.
wow.
Puts me in the mood to listen to some SS, and maybe watch some GX to celebrate the day!
Would probably still sound as fresh as ever.
Old 2010.04.03, 06:00 AM   #82
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Happy anniversary, fantastic album.

Shouso Strip's one of the records I've listened to most in 2010. It still sounds like the future.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.03, 03:57 PM   #83
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Oh, I remember years ago waiting for some friends to arrive at a convention center, back when I had to take buses everywhere, and I only had a CD player with one CD in it (guess which one?) and my bus got to the waiting spot way too early, and I passed the time listening to the CD over and over.

Thanks Ringo!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.12, 12:47 PM   #84
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I didn't notice this until the other day, but Ringo is flashing the victory sign on the classic SS disc cover picture. Before I thought it was just a kind of "booyah" to match the album's playfulness and sass, but now I realize it is also an allusion to the concept/name of the album.
Old 2010.06.15, 04:55 PM   #85
persongirl

persongirl is headed in the right direction

Well, the translation of the album title is like lawsuit winning strip right? I really like this album. My favorites are probably Tsumi to Batsu, Identity, and Yokushitsu. I love the lyricism in both the English and Japanese versions of Yokushitsu. Ringo needs to take a break from music for a while and come back with the same quirky spunk that she had up until Tokyo Jihen.
persongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.16, 07:07 PM   #86
yulio

yulio pleased at least somebody

Hello everybody. i have a question. since this album speaks about "Crime and Punishment" so in this criteria 'Honnou' could be about being a Stalker? Raped? Pedo?

Last edited by yulio : 2010.06.16 at 07:11 PM.
yulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.18, 03:31 AM   #87
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

Well, my take on Honnou is that she's using sex as a means to fill her loneliness. Of course I'm far from fluent in Japanese so I could be wrong, but the song, coupled with the steamy video, rather than being "sexy" was meant to highlight the loneliness in the song.

In the video, she's doing all this sexual stuff to a patient whilst dressed as a nurse. Now yeah there's the fetishism toward nurses, but at the same time it's rather clinical isn't it? I mean the body on the bed isn't really doing anything other than just lying there whilst Ringo does all this sexytime stuff to it...

Sooooo, I came to the conclusion that both the patient and the nurse represent Ringo in the lyrics. The nurse is the fiery, sexually suggestive lyrics who is saying stuff like "I hate things that never end" and then the patient represents her isolated loneliness who "longs for the morning that never comes".

So, to summarise (and get back on point), I feel that the song is pretty much about using lust and sex to try and fill loneliness.

(Using the translation here).

Throughout the lyrics she's saying stuff like "longing for a window upon which a morning never comes" and "make me climax", which sort of gives me a feeling of "I can't wait for this to be over", of course, without knowledge of the original Japanese I can't be certain.

On the surface, Honnou seems like a really playful, seductive song, but even though the video is pretty hawt I've always got a sense of pathos from it.

But yeah, that was my... badly drawn conclusion on Honnou. XD
I would love for someone to clarify and/or rip into my theory!
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.18, 09:11 AM   #88
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

First let me make these statements about the music video itself: Ringo once stated that the video was representative of female empowerment through sex, and that female sensually can exist independent of men (lesbianism). She has also stated, however, that the video didn't turn out exactly how she wanted it to be (she claimed the video took place on a cyberpunk spaceship, a detail most people seemed to miss lol) and had previously considered creating a purely surreal video inspired by Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity".
Also, Ringo has had a long medical history, and was actually in the hospital when "Gips" was supposed to be recorded as the album's lead single. Since she was sick, her company chose "Honnou", which had already been recorded, to be the lead single instead. Her fascination with medicine and sexuality is a theme that has re-appeared many times in her earlier work, from "Honnou", "Byousho Public", "Odaijini", to the set of Gekokujyo Ecstacy, and packaging of ZCS, among others.

Lyrically, there are competing interpretations of Honnou in my mind - one which is close to how zyoeru describes it (A), and a slightly different one (B).

A. Having philosophically reduced reality to nihilism, the only stimulation left for the character of the song is sex and contemplation (similar to the lives of many poets and philosophers, it seems). The character of the song embraces this, and balances messages of seduction with musings/judgements of reality itself. The merging of explicit sensuality with emotion (the ambiguous "bring me to a climax" line is a great example of this) and philosophy is brilliantly implemented.

B. That it's all bullshit. The line "I love your sharp [or 'penetrating'] gaze" implies the character could be doing and saying the things he/she does for the attention of the character he/she is communicating with, which also seems consistent with the histrionic nature of SS and other works of her early career. It's important to note that in the original version of the song, the verses structure was gone, so she wrote those parts in later (I assume). The verses, in my opinion, are the most surreal moments of the song, lyrically, and I think were thrown in later to make the song even more bizarre, extreme, and aesthetic.

Either interpretation is an amazing character study and exemplary of her lyrical skill.

(P.S. Sorry for not citing many sources, these are just bits and pieces I've gleaned over the years and some of it might be nothing more than hearsay.)
Old 2010.06.19, 10:05 AM   #89
momeraths

momeraths is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
and had previously considered creating a purely surreal video inspired by Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity".
Holy crap that would've been heavenly.
Old 2010.06.20, 08:09 AM   #90
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
First let me make these statements about the music video itself: Ringo once stated that the video was representative of female empowerment through sex, and that female sensually can exist independent of men (lesbianism). She has also stated, however, that the video didn't turn out exactly how she wanted it to be (she claimed the video took place on a cyberpunk spaceship, a detail most people seemed to miss lol) and had previously considered creating a purely surreal video inspired by Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity".
Yeah, I've heard that. Wasn't there also a huge backlash over the Honnou video? I don't know how much of it is true versus a rumour...
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote