Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.08.02, 07:37 AM   #121
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal
Default moved from "Killer Tune thread"

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Well, I've given up looking for the quote where Shiina explains why she's "concentrating on her singing" by citing something along the lines of some of her fans said her singing was under par as of late. I like to think that some of that sentiment came from RJ/EMF. I know we're a pretty early google hit, so its not so far of a stretch (take that for what it's worth tho...) Meaning that it's just so probable my posts get read by people "who matter" (no offense guys! =P) -- Some of us spoke lacklusterly to her singing in JCHI, and certainly more so about HF. So maybe..juuust maybeee.
SR had already said in some interview when releasing 'ADULT' that She would not intend on composing on the next album. It means that the current position SR is on is not a abrupt or quick decision. "concentrating on singing" just may be the different expression of not composing, not meaning she is REALLY concetrating on singing.(Anyway I think She will come back with her own piece on the next next album.)

I don't have any disappointments or rejections to the two new singles and no need to be disappointed even before its releasing, so I expect TJ's 3rd album.
pariscombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 09:20 AM   #122
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
if Ringo's singing has been under par I would blame the cigarettes more than anything, her voice is already harsh enough without that shit cutting up her anymore.

and about her concentrate on singing, are you sure you don't mean the quote about her asking the band to write songs she got a lot of letters saying fans enjoyed songs penned by band members with ringo's vocals?
As for the ciggs. While sure, they'e certainly not vocal enhancers exactly, I don't think they're the cause of Shiina's less than "not annoying" singing in Osca/Killer Tune or winded sound in HF-Gamble. Shiina sounds the same. The singing in Killer Tune is exactly like Shiina's vocals in Mellow. The key difference being that her voice matched that song's style in Mellow, and maybe Shiina was just singing out of her range in KT. As I said, she's never tried to croon like I (at least think) she's trying to in the song. If you really wanna see cigarettes in action, consult my other fav mortal band. If Shiina starts croaking like a frog, then no doubt.

And I dont know if that's also part of the quote I'm thinking of, but I know she said, in so many words, "concentrate on singing." --And I still don't see how that means "don't write, Shiina!" =P

And thats not a slight Fluff! "Cool dude, liking Shiina. Maybe idolizing her recent guitarist" whats wrong with that? =(
Old 2007.08.02, 09:27 AM   #123
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by pariscombo View Post
I don't have any disappointments or rejections to the two new singles and no need to be disappointed even before its releasing, so I expect TJ's 3rd album.
I think I agree with pariscombo is saying here, if I get his drift correctly.

What I find most annoying on these boards is the implication that liking the new stuff is just being a Shiina lap dog, and uncritical. I guess when it comes to critical thinking, I try to reserve my energies for more important things, war, poverty, etc. I try to not be too hard on things that make me happy these days. I'm too old to want to ruin these things for myself. I have an extremely eclectic musical palette, and that is perhaps the primary thing that drew me to Shiina's stuff. I honestly don't see what others do as far as her doing anything that is too disappointing, but then again I'm not looking for it. I still have a strange taste in my mouth about the whole HF project, it did seem like two steps back, but hearing the instrumental version of the album put it in perspective for me, it is, no matter what she or the label says, still soundtrack music. I guess I'm with those who feel that it does not quite count as a "real" album.

But this woman made SS. She is not doing, and has not done anything that has shaken my faith in what will most likely be amazing music down the road. I have no problem accepting what she is doing now, because I still look at it within the continuum of an entire body of work, a celebration of all she has done, is doing and will do. Stepping aside to let TJ really be it's own thing is a wise and pragmatic move for her at this point. And her singing? Not any more or less strangely unique then before, just different shading. I think the choices she makes vocally are very deliberate. Listening to the second half of dai ikkai made me realize how much control she has over some very fine nuances in her phrasing.

I've said this before, I'm just not that into obsessing over the minutiae.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 10:32 AM   #124
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Natsume, if you were still a girl I'd marry you. ( but I guess Natsume isn't just a girl's name, is it? :| )
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 01:15 PM   #125
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by natsume View Post
I think I agree with pariscombo is saying here, if I get his drift correctly.

What I find most annoying on these boards is the implication that liking the new stuff is just being a Shiina lap dog, and uncritical. I guess when it comes to critical thinking, I try to reserve my energies for more important things, war, poverty, etc. I try to not be too hard on things that make me happy these days. I'm too old to want to ruin these things for myself. I have an extremely eclectic musical palette, and that is perhaps the primary thing that drew me to Shiina's stuff. I honestly don't see what others do as far as her doing anything that is too disappointing, but then again I'm not looking for it. I still have a strange taste in my mouth about the whole HF project, it did seem like two steps back, but hearing the instrumental version of the album put it in perspective for me, it is, no matter what she or the label says, still soundtrack music. I guess I'm with those who feel that it does not quite count as a "real" album.

But this woman made SS. She is not doing, and has not done anything that has shaken my faith in what will most likely be amazing music down the road. I have no problem accepting what she is doing now, because I still look at it within the continuum of an entire body of work, a celebration of all she has done, is doing and will do. Stepping aside to let TJ really be it's own thing is a wise and pragmatic move for her at this point. And her singing? Not any more or less strangely unique then before, just different shading. I think the choices she makes vocally are very deliberate. Listening to the second half of dai ikkai made me realize how much control she has over some very fine nuances in her phrasing.

I've said this before, I'm just not that into obsessing over the minutiae.
Very well-expressed. As I stated in the "Third Album: Variety" thread, I love artists who are able to conquer new sounds relative to themselves. The sound itself doesn't have to be revolutionary or new, but if it is something that the artist has not yet explored, then it shows maturity and open-mindedness. The latter being the most admirable quality in anybody. I love to sit back and see where the artists take me, instead of expecting the artist to stay within a defined structure.

The quality that drew me to Shiina is that she does escape that structure. She doesn't want to try new horizons because it would give her work variety, she wants to do it cause she WANTS to explore them. That's what gives me faith that all her moves are intentional and for herself, rather than pleasing what the public wants to hear.

That's what makes Shiina an artist, not a performer who writes songs.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 03:15 PM   #126
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

(and on a completely different note!)

Ooooh.... I really like this song/PV, actually. @_@!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 04:46 PM   #127
aniComplex

aniComplex pleased at least somebody

teitaku wa miteta, motto
hoshigarimasu na tedate katta
de kono GANDORA furukanai no mazushisa kousou, mateki*

teitaku suru ni wa kitto
saifu dake ja tarinai ne datte
furuwashi no wa sara ni nai no wa nani to chuui

hora! hora ne! waza to aetanda!
kisetsu wo tsukaisute iki
kedo yoru mo, aki mo, yusurenai yo
anata wa watashi no issho mono

teitaku suru ni wa kitto
de tamarenakya ikenai ne, chotto
kagu ha shinu wo niramanai de
hoshigaranai nara

kyou wa ichidokiri, aa
muka ga nakenai, mi no mae, zettai**
utsukushii no wa hagarenai no
afuredasu kara

kora! GERACHI-!*** koko de aetanda!
sagashidashite kurete arigatou
sora mo, koi mo damasenai yo
watashi wa anata no isshomono
Rough lyrics I came up with after listening a few times. The three stars indicate something I'm not too sure of.

* Mateki is the name of Mozart's opera "The Magic Flute," and I'm not sure if that's what Ringo is actually saying, but that's what I keep hearing.
** muka ga nakenai is probably a japanese saying, because I don't get it. At first I heard mukada nakenai but ga was more sensical and I started to hear that.
*** This word is definitely foreign, but I'm not sure what it is. I hear a distinct 'ge,' and its hard to distinguish whether it's 'chi' or 'shi'. The closest word I can think of is "JEALOUSY," but that wouldn't fit the context of the song much and I don't hear 'je' no matter how much I listen.

Have fun fixing this. If I perfect it I'll translate it, but I have no use trying to make sense of translating a Shiina Ringo song whose lyrics aren't perfect; they're hard enough to translate as it is.

I don't think anyone else posted lyrics on the web anywhere so let this be the first.
aniComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 04:59 PM   #128
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Lyrics haven't been posted anywhere... because they aren't out yet.

I'm personally not a fan or advocate of posting lyrics to a song before official lyrics have been released. I can GUARANTEE you those have errors in them, and you know that, but that doesn't mean you should post them. It just encourages the spreading of inconsistent/erroneous information.

So yeah. I'm not going to say 'don't do this again' or anything, but I--as an admin of this forum--do not support this sort of thing. :X
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 05:09 PM   #129
aniComplex

aniComplex pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Lyrics haven't been posted anywhere... because they aren't out yet.

I'm personally not a fan or advocate of posting lyrics to a song before official lyrics have been released. I can GUARANTEE you those have errors in them, and you know that, but that doesn't mean you should post them. It just encourages the spreading of inconsistent/erroneous information.

So yeah. I'm not going to say 'don't do this again' or anything, but I--as an admin of this forum--do not support this sort of thing. :X
Eh, it's fine. I probably won't do it again anyway. I signed up to post the lyrics for other people who might want them or might not want to do the whole thing. I respect wanting official lyrics, just thought maybe people wouldn't want to wait. No big deal.
aniComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.02, 05:13 PM   #130
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't see why it's a crime for him to post the lyrics . . . even if they are incorrect.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote