Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.01.05, 04:50 PM   #7391
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
^ I just listened to my Siamese Dream vinyl today (not the reissue, the 2lp peach one. Secks)
I've been listening to the 24/96 remasters of Gish and Siamese Dream. They sound so damn good. I'm really looking forward to the MCIS remaster. Hopefully it's as good as the Gish remaster because it needs it.

The songs that get to me most on SD are Hummer, Soma and Luna. Love 'em.
Old 2012.01.05, 05:08 PM   #7392
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Haruomi Hosono - Laughter Meditation
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.06, 09:37 AM   #7393
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'm really looking forward to the MCIS remaster. Hopefully it's as good as the Gish remaster because it needs it.
For certain one of my most anticipated 2012 releases. Don't flake out on me Corgan!! I hope they put out the vinyl, with the original MCIS track order, so then I can nab it finally for under $100. ...Even if it has a less classic cover ='( (The Gish cover looked fine, but SD...)

And yeah, with each passing year, MCIS sounds messier and muddier than the year before.
Old 2012.01.06, 03:52 PM   #7394
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Are there any other Adore fans here
Old 2012.01.06, 04:19 PM   #7395
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Adore is awesome. It was my now fiance's first christmas present ever given to me. I had mentioned how when I was younger, when the album came out, I had always wanted it but my mom wouldn't buy it as it was too expensive ($17 at the time.) Easily one of the best Christmas presents ever received.
Old 2012.01.07, 09:30 AM   #7396
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Smashing Pumpkins - Bodies
Old 2012.01.07, 03:56 PM   #7397
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I wonder if Oceania is gonna suck as hard as other recent stuff
Old 2012.01.08, 01:23 PM   #7398
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I really know almost nothing about 90's American alternative rock, other than a little Alice in Chains and a little Nirvana.
I find stuff like shoegaze and progressive rock really hard to get into (which is why I still haven't listened to those Boris albums yet)

From what I've heard from Gish, I can't say I hate it but it doesn't draw me in to listen to more.
I think I can appreciate the guitar work, but I don't really like the songwriting. Corgan sounds like one of those incredibly overdramatic/immodest and self-indulgent musicians that turn me off.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.08, 03:51 PM   #7399
Tokyo Jihad

I'm really dying to know more about you Turtlefu. Like how old are you, where did you grow up, etc. I don't mean it to be smug or anything like that, I would just like to know where you are coming from. Its not anything like I can't fathom people not knowing anything about 90's alternative music (and then calling Alice in Chains and Nirvana alternative bands. hahah, sorry) its just that all the people I know irl that don't are significantly younger than me. That's the only reason I ask, because you're vocal and I'd like to understand your background.

Back to SP. See, theres nothing in "I am One" or "Rhinoceros" that sounds "overdramatic/immodest and self-indulgent." There just isn't. Billy Corgan the man is at the very least one or two of those things for sure, but there's nothing in the music itself (even today.) This is the same thing that gives me aneurisms when people talk about Lady Gaga. "Oh, she's weird! Oh, she wears stupid clothes, needs attention, is a man." How does any of that matter when listning to "Just Dance"? Its just a fun catchy song. Who cares if she was wearing a dress made of Kermits when she recorded it? That's not on the track.

When Shiina Ringo was at the height of her popularity, people slung very similar things as reasons not to listn to her music. Hell, most westerners would argue against listening because "she's japanese." I think we can agree that they would be missing out in that case.

Gish may not be a huge tentpole album, but it was and remains a very nice record that pointed forward. (And in the grand scheme, its not exactly a slouch.) Billy Corgan himself may not be the most pleasant of people at times, but none of that is heard on record (certainly not on the main six SP records.) I think letting external factors cloud music almost always leads to missing out on good things.

(And Alice in Chains and Nirvana are pretty archetypicaly grunge bands, just fyi. )
Old 2012.01.08, 04:50 PM   #7400
deadgrandma

Yeah but billy hasn't written anything good for almost a decade now. Just ok songs here and there