Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.03.16, 12:50 PM   #51
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by merman View Post
Shinji, I'd just like to remind you no one was comparing her lyrics to Ringo's. Apart from the Honnou mention, which anyway wasn't "Ringo Japanese vs. Utada English" comparison, but an example of good lyrics with sexual content in Japanese.
That's one thing.
But then the discussion presented other arguments, mainly the fact that people may be looking at Utada's lyrics in a wrong perspective. Expecting them to be as "mature" or "complex" as the lyrics by other artists. One example I gave was Ringo's lyrics compared to Utada's. Utada talks about "Sipping Chardonnay on all working hours" or "Reading old e-mails on her pajamas" or how the way she rhymes "Is pretty darn clever". She's more "explicit", I guess. Like Katy Perry for example. She goes and says she kissed a girl and she liked it and there's no other way to see it. Ringo lyrics, on the other hand, are more about Benji smacking her head with his guitar.

Different artists mean different approaches to music and their lyrics. So people shouldn't label the lyrics as "bad" just because they are "slutty" and/or "silly". You don't label a comedy film bad because it made you laugh, or a drama film because it made you cry. I think the same can be applied to music. (You also shouldn't label a comedy bad if it makes you cry or vice-versa, btw.)

I understand that people may not like "slutty" lyrics or don't indentify at all with Utada's songs. But that doesn't necessarily mean the lyrics are bad, it just means you don't like the "category" they fit in. Unless I'm completely wrong and all these years Pop and R'n'B was not about love, break-ups, sex and parties.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.19, 10:43 PM   #52
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Utada shares her birthday with Edgar Allan Poe and cites him as one of her most important influences in terms of lyrics.
And my birthday toooo~ holla holla

But yeah I was kinda crackin up over the crazy sexual lyrics. "Love you long time"!!!! ahahahahhaa. I wonder if that was her way of playing on the 'Asian woman bad accent' thing. It felt very tongue-in-cheek. I really wonder if this album is actually going to be "the one" that helps her break into the western market. I have my doubts but we'll see... I'll definitely be interested to see what happens with it. Is this really U.S. top 40 radio material?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.19, 10:46 PM   #53
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I just wanted to say that Edgar Allan Poe has this whole Adolf Hitler meets Bill Murray thing going on with his face.
Old 2009.03.20, 12:16 AM   #54
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Well he surely didn't influence THIS IS THE ONE
But as far as my opinion goes she does have chances with the new stuff on the radio. If people don't have a problem with the lyrics (more with the form than their substance)
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.20, 01:50 AM   #55
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Is this really U.S. top 40 radio material?
Her first single out of the album, "Come Back To Me", debuted at #75 on Billboard's Pop 100 Airplay. Debuting in the top 100 is a first for any of her english singles.
She's been doing a lot of radio interviews, and very funny ones btw, receiving a lot of support from the interviewers and praising text message/mails from people who didn't know her but were listening to the radio. This is looking much better than what happened 4 years ago with Exodus.
She's going to be performing on a LA TV show as well (KTLA Morning News) and doing a bunch of listening parties at Sephora stores.
The girl is pretty active this time around, which is making her very tired as well. Comes with the business.

Oh, it's interesting to point out that in most interviewes the radio people ask her about gossips or scandals from her personal life and say that americans are really interested in a good gossip, noting how it has helped a lot of new artists in the past (ex Amy Winehouse). I don't see Utada as being able to do anything like that tho, and I prefer if she didn't. She's always saying how she's a normal person anyway, and wants to be known for the music.
Old 2009.03.20, 12:58 PM   #56
merman

I think Amy Winehouse's crackwhore antics are what made Back to Black sell like hot cakes, because after trying to listen to it and not being able to finish it, I've come to the conclusion that it sounds like X renditions of Rehab with varying success, but it's ultimately boooooring. Her purportedly GREAT VOICE wasn't enough to save it. Utada on the other hand, thanks goodness isn't tabloid material...
Old 2009.03.20, 05:32 PM   #57
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I want to hear Utada on the radioooooooo!
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.21, 02:05 AM   #58
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
I want to hear Utada on the radioooooooo!
If you travel enough, you can actually meet her!
And then I'll be jealous of you for my entire life, until I meet her as well.
Old 2009.03.21, 08:36 AM   #59
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

What kinda touring is she planning on doing? Maybe she'll make a stop to Cleveland..
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.21, 03:59 PM   #60
merman

She's doing some "listening parties" at Sephora stores, am I right in thinking it's a cosmetics chain? That's pretty off, it'd be better if she just did something like playing in Virgin stores or something like that. She only has a couple of stops anyway (three?)
However if you watch that horrible interview on Gossip Girls someone posted here (I'd feel so bad if I were her and I'd be interviewed by somebody who can't even look my name up on Wikipedia to know who they're talking to... not to mention how SHE did all the talking and the interviewer just went "oh that's great" all the time), she said she "ought" to tour in US, so maybe sometime in the future. More probably if the album is actually a success, I guess that'd be definitive only after May.