Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.05.03, 11:28 PM   #41
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

She suffers from every song sounds the same syndrome (AKA Kornitis)
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.04, 08:48 AM   #42
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

My favorite BP tracks at the moment are:

Only for Him
Hickey Hickey
Bubblegum
Friends, Aren't We?
You Are Blue, So Am I
Sleeping Child
Love is Bubble
5 More Minutes
Daisy
Not Ready
Hang Glider
Sweet
No One Like You
Farewell Alcohol River
Mad Afternoon
April Shower

And the best part is none of them sound the same!
Old 2011.10.14, 09:46 AM   #43
Maou

Yesterday I watched the Golden Tears DVD and today I listened to Just a Girl. It never really dawned on me how bitter some of the songs on Just a Girl are. The title track, Sweet and Building a Castle in particular. Sure she has other downer songs, but these sound like she was going through a desperate stretch.
Old 2011.10.24, 02:15 PM   #44
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Yeah--to me she kind of alternates between breakup albums and happy-in-love albums. And a lot of the sentiments are really bitter!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 07:39 AM   #45
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
She suffers from every song sounds the same syndrome (AKA Kornitis)

I don't agree....but she cannot NOT say the song title within the song more times than not. I've heard people say the same about early phase 2. I feel it's just that her style is just very recognizable.

I didn't care for the self-cover album much or Dear Dairy. I started listening to her around Golden Tears and I recalled the wave of emotion I felt the first time I hear Cotton Candy. It does seem to be a trend of "FUCK YEAH LOVE IS GREAT" and "the days are long, the night is dark and I can't fucking stand experiencing any of it" tones to her albums. I really like her songs were she is just rambling about human interactions from her earlier albums. kako to genjitsu was really eh to me when I first heard it back in 2006, but then 4 yrs later I would listening to it at least once a day

Asada seems like she falls in love real hard when she does fall. She can't write without having a strong feeling about whatever the subject she choose was. I think she really enjoys writing in English more though. I however don't think she can express her sadness well with it. I don't think their will ever be a another English song from her like Evil and Flowers or Kingyo.

Last edited by LoBFCanti : 2012.01.11 at 01:13 PM.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 09:32 AM   #46
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Well, with Ringo seeming to go on a hiatus, I'm going to listen to Bonnie Pink.

After Hikaru Utada went on Hiatus, I moved onto Shiina Ringo, after Shiina Ringo, I'm thinking either Bonnie Pink or Angela Aki or Chara.

Anyways, She has even more albums than Shiina! Where should I start? What's considered her "Kalk Zamen Kuri no Hana"? I can tell her early style is very different from her current style. What was the turning point?

I've already listened to forget me not, and I love it.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 09:49 AM   #47
Maou

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Anyways, She has even more albums than Shiina! Where should I start? What's considered her "Kalk Zamen Kuri no Hana"? I can tell her early style is very different from her current style. What was the turning point?
She doesn't really have a KSK. Most of her early albums are about the same quality. Start with Evil and Flowers, Heaven's Kitchen, Daisy or Let Go. Or you could just scroll up a few posts and check out the songs on my list. I make lists for a reason, y'know?

I'd say she become more of a pop artist with Golden Tears. He pop side shows up on earlier albums, but that's where it started becoming the majority.
Old 2012.01.11, 12:51 PM   #48
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Even So is very popular as a favorite, so I'd start there. Present is my favorite.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 01:23 PM   #49
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Even so had Last Kiss. Though I've grown tired of it now, song is timeless. I think if I ever saw it live I'd love it again.

Present had shitloads of re-playability. There was a time where I couldn't listen to the album straight without listening Tonight, the night 3 times. Need you and Rope dancer are 2 of my top faves from her. The live album "Pink in Red" had an astounding Need you rendition. I recall putting both the live and album version on my mp3 player after hearing the live; April Shower as well! The Pink in Red version and the album version stand very strongly apart from each other.

Daisy, Present or Even so are all a real good start.

I remember back when all I had was limewire and a dial-up connection, I had gotten hold of bits and piece of Reminisce, So Wonderful and Fallen Sun(the version featuring Suga Shikao)- I was a fan from there on out. I remember watching the Guyver anime simply to see what sequence they put to Cotton Candy as the ending.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 02:10 PM   #50
Andikki

Andikki is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I'm thinking either Bonnie Pink or Angela Aki or Chara
Funny how your options include what I consider to be the two most overestimated artists in Japanese music. Well I do have tremendously more respect for Bonnie Pink than for Angela Aki, but still not too much. Seeing how many cool people love Bonnie Pink, I suspect it's just my ears that make her voice sound boring. But Angela Aki... fake glasses for the smart independent woman look and some unexciting piano playing for "artistism" - is that really enough for people to fall for her?

Chara, on the other hand, is love love love.

Sorry for the angry personal opinion post.
Andikki is offline   Reply With Quote