Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.01.11, 07:38 PM   #61
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
It wasn't my intention for the post to be "snobbish" at all. Maybe a little pretentious.

I'm still trying to figure out what I like. My tastes have changed a lot in the past year, but it's also been almost completely focused on Ringo. I continuously get music and then delete it or get rid of it. Something I like one week, I'm bored with the next. So I'm trying to figure out what I like and focus on music that has staying power.
That's fine. Just don't get caught up with stuff like "this looks weird on my shelf next to this!" It really doesn't matter. Wear the guilty pleasures or lesser albums as a badge of honor. At least you tried.

I'd also say to come back to Bonnie in the spring. It's pretty much the only time of the year I listen to her stuff. It just resonates better then.
Old 2012.01.12, 10:37 AM   #62
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Really now. That was one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum and I've made my share of ridiculously silly posts. Pure snobbery. Though I do like that.

Are you trying to learn me sensei or prove you're even more arrogant than me?

I don't need to prove common knowledge!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.12, 01:06 PM   #63
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

After Hikaru Utada went on Hiatus, I moved onto Shiina Ringo, after Shiina Ringo, I'm thinking either Bonnie Pink or Angela Aki or Chara.
Have you looked into much of her music yet? I love me some Bonnie Pink, but I find Chara's music to be much more engaging. Her pre-Junior Sweet albums are a little grating, but I'd highly recommend (in this order) the Caramel Milk compilation, the glitchy Yoake Mae, and her fantastic 13th album CAROL.

But it does make me feel like weird to have Bonnie Pink to be between The Beatles and Bruce Springsteen in my library...
How about having aiko next to Animal Collective or Sufjan Stevens before Tommy february6? Welcome to my iPod.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.12, 02:57 PM   #64
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by BanFan View Post
Have you looked into much of her music yet? I love me some Bonnie Pink, but I find Chara's music to be much more engaging. Her pre-Junior Sweet albums are a little grating, but I'd highly recommend (in this order) the Caramel Milk compilation, the glitchy Yoake Mae, and her fantastic 13th album CAROL.
No one ever recommends Union ;_; I love Tear Drop. I never got around to listening to Carol, but I was real hype for Dark Candy last year- I really like Rachel when I first heard it. The album turned out to be spotty but Naive and Innocence is still sticking with me.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.12, 03:20 PM   #65
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Bonnie Pink's new song "Tsumetai Ame" sounds good so far. It doesn't sound as great as I'd expect another single produced by Tore Johansson to sound, but I still have yet to hear a snippet not drowned out by loud actors.

Originally Posted by LoBFCanti View Post
No one ever recommends Union ;_; I love Tear Drop. I never got around to listening to Carol, but I was real hype for Dark Candy last year- I really like Rachel when I first heard it. The album turned out to be spotty but Naive and Innocence is still sticking with me.
Haha, don't worry, I love UNION too, I just had to set some kind of limit. She's got about fifteen albums at this point so I thought listening off my top five or six favorites would be too much . . .

Maybe you'll like CAROL though, since it seemed almost everyone in the microscopic population of Chara fans on JPC seemed to gravitate towards CAROL or Dark Candy, but not both.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.15, 07:49 AM   #66
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

For those who said BP is too boring/normal/unexceptional, there's at least the lyrics. Even when she's writing about romantic relationships, which is the majority of the time, there is clever wordplay and phrasing. And she's had some biting social commentary lately--I'm serious! The "Tsumetai Ame" single lyrics are like a feminist tour de force. "Kite" was also about feeling constrained by society.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.15, 11:09 AM   #67
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

BTW, I like Bonnie Pink now.

She's not revolutionary or experimental or whatever, but her music is super emotional. I'm really into the Daisy EP (especially Hang Glider), and OMG the first minute of Only for Him is GENIUS.

What I find really amazing about her lyrics is that even with a happy song about how much she can depend on the person she loves, she makes it sound really sad. Like, Bonnie only has two settings: post-breakup depression and dating meloncholy.

@frecklegirl
LOVE it. The lyrics to Tsumetai Ame: I wish Japanese female musicians had more of this bravery. In the anglophone market, you have a lot of women singing openly about patriarchy and such, but I find this is a lot rarer in Japanese music. Even for Ringo, she doesn't talk openly about such subjects often.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.15, 12:02 PM   #68
Maou

BTW, I like Bonnie Pink now.

She's not revolutionary or experimental or whatever, but her music is super emotional. I'm really into the Daisy EP (especially Hang Glider), and OMG the first minute of Only for Him is GENIUS.

See, you even have the same taste in Bonnie Pink as me. So wonderful.

Have you watched any of her live DVDs? She's really good live. Really, really good when Aida Shigekazu is the tour guitarist. One of the DVDs has terrific renditions of Only For Him and Do you crash? on it.
Old 2012.03.15, 01:29 PM   #69
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I saw a live version of Tonight The Night that is just great.

Actually, I've mostly only listened to the songs that you recommended!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.28, 01:12 PM   #70
Maou

Oh my... Had a great occurrence of ASMR listening to Bonnie today. The ending of Hang Glider got me good. The way she sings "You make my day" the last couple of times is pretty much the most passion she ever sings with. It's incredible.