Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.06.17, 01:36 AM   #11
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Thread was loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong overdue.

Only listened to the 'latter' albums from Rubber Soul on (And, well, A Hard Day's Night). Abbey Road is my favourite, although Rubber Soul is just as good because it's hit after hit after hit after hit. Buuuuut White Album is brilliant despite being, er, inconsistent...I love MMT (Which was *not* a misstep) --

Oh, fuck. It's hard picking the best album. I have to say that despite Sgt.Peppers being one of the most important albums ever (If not the most important album ever), it's definitely my least favourite.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.17, 06:16 AM   #12
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Rubber Soul and Abbey Road are my favourites, Sgt Peppers is my least favourite out of the big 5 (though it does contain my favourite song (A Day In The Life)) and I love The White Album not only with it's inconsistencies but because of them. It wouldn't be the same if they tightened it onto a single disc. Having said that, having a best and worst Beatles album is almost irrelevant in my eyes (particularly in regards to the latter albums) because my worst Beatles album is still better than almost anything else I listen to.
Old 2009.06.17, 06:41 AM   #13
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yep. And I guess part of the White Album's appeal is that it's like a treasure chest/goody bag with all different kinds of songs, I can appreciate its inconsistencies in that sense!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.17, 07:23 AM   #14
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

^^ wow, you guys don't like Sgt. Pepper's?? it's probably my favorite. my feelings towards it are very similar to how i feel about kZK. i feel it's their best work, but i only binge on it for a while and then not listen to it for some time. i don't know if it's an unconscious fear of ruining it or maybe it's because the songs aren't more like traditional songs that are easier to take any time. still, any time i hear it, it's really eargasmic.

a day in the life is truly great. i remember when i first heard it, i had the beatles going on shuffle and i was doing some work and i stopped instantly when i heard "i read the news today, oh boy". it's exactly how i've always felt and i swore i hallucinated but i replayed it and, nope, john was saying it. =).
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.17, 08:31 AM   #15
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I adore Sgt Peppers. As I said, my worst Beatles album (it isn't my worst, it's my fifth favourite) is still better than the majority of stuff I listen to

Welcome back by the way
Old 2009.06.17, 11:08 AM   #16
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Sgt. Pepper's is a decent album by Beatles' standards. I feel it has more importance culturally than musically though. It was the first mainstream concept album (at least it would have been if John was as into it as Paul was), first to print all the lyrics on the album sleeve, and the recording techniques used were amazing considering the limitations that they had at the time. It was an ambitious effort and the songs on it were pretty good.

The only problem I have is that everyone makes it out to be the pinnacle of popular music. I personally find Rubber Soul, Revolver, The White Album, and Abbey Road to all be better albums. Sgt. Pepper's probably doesn't even make my Top 25. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Old 2009.06.17, 07:33 PM   #17
HEDOfloe

I don't know man, i'm sure there's people that could sit you down and explain to you why it's so revolutionary aside from it being a "concept album" (which the band themselves said was nonsense anyway, i think john said that he thought any of the songs could have been on another album save for the sgt peppers intro and reprise) or being culturally important.
and what do you think is culturally important about it anyway? more than any of their other works?
Old 2009.06.17, 07:37 PM   #18
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

for easy to answer questions, consult Wikipedia
Old 2009.07.02, 10:22 AM   #19
HEDOfloe

it's funny that that was the last post in this thread since i just went to wikipedia and apparently some bag of douche ruined their page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles
"The Beatles are a hard rock band from Knaresborough, England that formed in 2008"

do they have back-ups of all the previous posts?

anyway, i came here to post some scans from a magazine dated August, 1967. i have an old co-worker who got it from her father-in-law and since she knows i dig the beatles, she gave it to me. she said she'll check if he has any more lost in his basement.

it's an article where the writer got to go to two studio sessions while they recorded sgt. peppers. it's pretty cool to read about it as it happened. it's not as airheaded an article as i thought it would be (though she says that john wrote "when im sixty four"). i love a bit in the beginning where she's listing the people there:

"road managers mal and neil, producer george martin, two engineers, john's cousin stan, three people from the bbc....assorted engineers, and an unidentified girl."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (5.16 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (2.01 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (2.41 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (2.08 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (2.95 MB, 2 views)
Old 2009.07.02, 10:45 AM   #20
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

^more posts like this. Less posts like "I'm ok with poorly written songs" Hedo. =)