Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.10.07, 02:24 PM   #381
boku belle gueule

boku belle gueule pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
Hmmm...I don't completely understand your point but I believe I should be offended in some way. Shiina "average" on stage? Don't like Kyoiku? Goddamn man.

Yes, Variety sounds like a bunch of third rate musiciens got together and aimed to regurgitate music in the Shiina style. that was your message in the second paragraph, non?
ho non! don't be offended. I don't have any part in the pro/cons Variety buisness going on around here . I don't have a precise opinion on it because it gets precise over the time for me. Things I really like are often not the thing I immediatly like. That's the case of Kzk, I was so into sousho trip that i was thinking shiina ringo couldn't do better, and when I listened to kzk first I said to myself "no she didn't do better" but after some listening it was an absolute "she did way better, what a genius!". So when I say I didn't listen much to kyoiku because I first found it mainstream that doesn't mean that it sucks for me but that simply means that I didn't really take time to listen to it .

You know we cannot debate on tastes, but we surely can on what tastes are. To make it short (which is often dangerous) to me everything is likeable, everthig is hateable, it is just a question of "context" and of "point of view", non?

P. S. : and for the "shiina ringo's average on stage" thing it is not her and only her, it is just that I would like to hear that close miking effect, that special fx, that overdriven violon or those background vocals on stage and instead of it, it's big reverb, clean violons and no choir... it's just a bit disapointing to me, I say average (which means ok) not mediocre!

Last edited by boku belle gueule : 2007.10.07 at 02:32 PM.
boku belle gueule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.07, 02:36 PM   #382
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by boku belle gueule View Post
P. S. : and for the "shiina ringo's average on stage" thing it is not her and only her, it is just that I would like to hear that close miking effect, that special fx, that overdriven violon or those background vocals on stage and instead of it, it's big reverb, clean violons and no choir... it's just a bit disapointing to me, I say average (which means ok) not mediocre!
Oh, I see what you mean. I wouldn't call it average though. I also miss some of the things on the recordings as well. Especially the clapping that is on several of their songs. I always miss it when I'm watching the live performances.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.07, 04:02 PM   #383
ophy

ophy pleased at least somebody

Well, I love this album. It has it's flaws, but I love it. No, really, hear me out. I'm not knee deep in this Ringo civil war crap, so I probably won't be up for a debate with you all, sorry.

Truth be told, it does seem flat, in terms of song composition, but I really like how all the tracks are different. I get pretty turned off when everything sounds like a rehash of the previous song, so this doesn't disappoint.

But something is lacking here. I don't know what it is, but it seems as though other artists could have sung the songs, and it would have the same impact...does anyone feel this, as well? I'm not too sure why it feels so depthless and, at times, stale. I know it was written by all the other band members other than Shiina, but that's no reason for the songs to be lacking. They just need a push, it feels. They need to be more fine tuned.

But I do enjoy it, a lot. My ears were hungry for SOMETHING, so it may just be that I was happy just to get some new songs from Jihen.
Old 2007.10.07, 04:32 PM   #384
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ophy View Post
But something is lacking here. I don't know what it is, but it seems as though other artists could have sung the songs, and it would have the same impact...does anyone feel this, as well? I'm not too sure why it feels so depthless and, at times, stale. I know it was written by all the other band members other than Shiina, but that's no reason for the songs to be lacking. They just need a push, it feels. They need to be more fine tuned.
I do not like to use the fact that the album was not composed by Ringo, but the guys can't help it that they are not as talented as her so if you think the songs are lacking it must be because their writing skills are lacking. I personally think this is a great work for them because after hearing the original OSCA, I think the new one is a HUGE step up.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.07, 06:52 PM   #385
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Well, to be fair it's not hard to vastly improve on the original OSCA. I mean, Ringo singing it automatically makes it at least 2.4 times better. Just reinstrumentalize and boom, you've got a good single/album track. I will give credit to the original, though; it is a good template (just badly executed by the Petrolz). The odd lyrics are awesome, too.

Still, the album comes off as a little too simple. I wouldn't have minded a little churching-up on quite a few of the tracks; they could've shielded a number of songs from outright hate that way.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.07, 08:04 PM   #386
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

ophy, I believe you are spot on.

I'm revising my earlier statement that Goldfish Box is the only memorable melodic hook on the album. Princess Monthly has been popping into my mind from time to time too. It's quirky and somehow charming.

The sad thing about that song is I think (at the risk of blasphemy) it would be better if Tommy heavenly6 did it.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.07, 08:09 PM   #387
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Which one is Princess Monthly?
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.08, 05:21 AM   #388
Silverrime

Silverrime is headed in the right direction

Tsukigime-Hime
Silverrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.08, 10:33 AM   #389
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

You guys are driving me nuts using the English names.
Old 2007.10.08, 10:44 AM   #390
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Silverrime View Post
Tsukigime-Hime
Ahh, thanks

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
You guys are driving me nuts using the English names.
Agreed
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote