Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.10.25, 04:48 AM   #11
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

... I love Ringo's rough voice. I just don't think it suits the song, well at least not the first chorus, maybe the last one. Plus I just don't like the melody, I find it annoying.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.25, 06:00 AM   #12
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Akagaminosteven View Post
Shiina singing like a male cat with its testicles in a bear-trap. Or a female cat with a bear-trap in its vagina.
Was that intended to be strongly negative or strongly positive? If that is in fact what cats sound like with their genitals in pain, cats should be placed in these situations regularly. It sounds great.

There are so many more boring ways in which she could have sung it.

And, in keeping with the tempo and slight Broadway/cabaret feel, I would have liked a horn section on this song. SR's multi-instrumental right? Or perhaps Uki secretly plays saxophone.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Killer Tune. It's good, but it doesn't quite live up to its name in my estimation.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.25, 06:18 AM   #13
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Shiina singing like a male cat with its testicles in a bear-trap.

Or a female cat with a bear-trap in its vagina.

Take your pick, either way it's not a song that plays to her vocals. It's a wannabe broadway musical number that refuses to differentiate between regular verses and chorus, with not enough instrumental flare to cover it up.
And here I used to think that the main criticism was that it was JUST flair and no substance.

Originally Posted by baboo View Post
I don't understand some few things you guys mentioned
- So Broadway music should only be done by Broadway people? What's effing wrong with Tokyo Jihen playing it that way? If you are music teacher and very displeased with what they did. I tell you to be more considerate to the rest of people who like it. I know it's the matter of personal taste but you make those who like the single appear like idiots.
This is how I feel as well. I think if you want to criticize the band you definitely should, but examples like cats with testicles tied or extravagant things like that are just unnecessary and only show that you can't really explain why you don't like the song other than you just don't. In Steven's case, he just does not like the vocals and that could have done instead of having to add the cat "joke".
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.25, 07:17 AM   #14
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Looks like Akagaminosteven might be on his way to claiming one of the vacant spots in the Trio of Terror. Hate on when you don't like something, bro.

I myself love the song. It's true that SR doesn't sound her best, Hata is pretty much MIA and the solo is bad, but other things make up for it. The bass line is great and the guitar in the chorus sounds good.

I wonder where's the admin....I know you guys are open-minded and stuff...but to speak like that, It's really unacceptable
No, it isn't. She sounds bad on some of the songs on this album. Her voice is more scratchy now and she just can't carry some songs anymore. She sounded much better during the TV live performances, but she doesn't sound good on the album.
Old 2007.10.25, 07:19 AM   #15
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Wow, I'm actually surprised at people's extreme reactions to these comments. Akagaminosteven was obviously joking to prove his point. And while it's not my kind of humor, much worse stuff has been said by others in the past, and it hasn't been treated this harshly at all.

Anyway, I like Killer Tune -- it's not my favorite thing on Variety, but I think the music is really good. I do enjoy the vocals, but I understand that they're too strong for other people, so I don't usually use the song as an example when presenting the band to others. It's kind of like my driving -- when I'm in the car alone, I don't worry about slowing down around turns or putting on the brakes at a stop until I'm a few feet behind the car in front of me. But when I'm driving with other people, I try to be more "careful" so they don't get turned off from my driving. [/unnecessary analogy]

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2007.10.25 at 07:23 AM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.25, 07:31 AM   #16
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

- If you claim yourself to be her fans, why you keep effing rant about how much you hate her works?...Give a break please...Imagine how horrible it is that you are saying that stuff to a person you love. Don't think the fact that she'll never read this thread to know all this can give you enough excuse to bathmouth about her.
So let's say you have this a kid who used to do really well in school, a well rounded individual with a bright future. Suddenly she starts hanging out with idiots, taking drugs, wasting her life. Are you still going to lavish praise on her ALL the time or are you going to do something to make her life go back on track again?

I really really liked SR. I never thought she could do any wrong and I wished she hadn't done anything that I would consider disgusting, but she really has and I can't be delusional about it unlike some people on EMF.

KT's not a bad song, but it's not godlike either. I'd say Tsumi to Batsu is more of a killer tune than KT is. If there's anything wrong with KT, I'd say it doesn't feel exuberant enough. Plus, the SR I remember would be the one dancing in the video instead of a whole bunch of office workers.
Old 2007.10.25, 07:55 AM   #17
Akagaminosteven

Akagaminosteven is headed in the right direction

Um, the thread opened with, if taken seriously, an elitist invite to give "valid musical criticism" of the song, and saying people who don't like it should suffer some kind of internet-based imprisonment. It's obviously a joke. I dislike Shiina's vocals in the song, maybe not to the extent that I described it as, but either way I made a wisecrack about it. If you like her vocals in it, um, wow that's great. Realize that some people do and some people don't, that's music, that's life. This isn't a relationship. I don't see a problem with knocking the song of an artist I like, and if I do so, I don't see how that ranks as some twisted moral treason. People can lavish Shiina with praise and call her a goddess for making a good song, and you can bet that people can compare her vocals to those produced by painful stimulation of the genitals for doing the exact opposite.

As far as music goes, it unfortunately needs to be stated that everything comes back to opinion. I don't think I'm invalidating the opinions of those who like the song by dissing it, and those who worship it aren't taking anything away from the view of those who like it. Please understand, when someone says something about a song, no matter who they are, and whether it's positive or negative, they're expressing their own opinion and not speaking for others. Some people write essays on it, some make jokes on it.
Akagaminosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.25, 08:08 AM   #18
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

with not enough instrumental flare
I think the song is loaded with instrumental flare...particularly in the guitar and bass. My favorite guitar work on the whole album occurs from 2:00 to 2:15 in this song (if I remember the times correctly). I think Uki should stick to the clean guitar tone employed in this song (and many others); I could do without the "psych" effects used on tracks like "Mirrorball."
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.25, 08:11 AM   #19
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
...and I can't be delusional about it unlike some people on EMF.
Why do people continue to make comments like this?

Which reminds me, what happened to Tokyo Jihad?
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.25, 08:21 AM   #20
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

Good hello!

Ya, be more direct in your comments too....

About my post...if you think it's too hars...My bad, I'm easily worked up by such thing and become quite vulgar. I myself regret behaving "uncivilizedly" too.

Make peace please...
And make better joke ...too..please
baboo is offline   Reply With Quote