Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.06.27, 09:13 PM   #41
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Was the box Hata tapped on connected to a speaker? I loved his usefulness in that song.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.07, 07:10 PM   #42
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Wow! Last post was June of last year! Yay for reviving a dead thread!

Anyway, after finally seeing this concert, I have to say I was pretty impressed overall. After reading justriiingo and Maou's stories about falling asleep while watching, you might say that my expectations were pretty low. XD

I doubt anyone is going to actually take the time to read all of this, but....

1. Kareha
- Nice introduction overall. It was cool seeing her and Neko walk out onstage while she sang the small portion of this. But the segue into...
2. Kabukichou no Joou - ... is utterly awesome. The way the curtain opens and you see the orchestra behind her with the strings hitting those staccato notes has to be one of her coolest introductions at a concert. It's just so full of intensity. Not to mention hearing the crowd reaction, especially since they were quiet for practically the rest of the concert. And I also find this performance to be superior to the one from Baishou Ecstasy. I just love this version of Kabukichou. Probably even more than the original. But yes, truly a fine performance even if it wasn't completely new.
3. Ishiki - Now this was rather "blah" for me. I do love Ishiki but this version is exactly like Baishou AND Heisei Fuuzoku. I mean, I've heard this version so many times. So while it wasn't bad, per se, it definitely wasn't a highlight for me. I'm not particularly fond of this arrangement in comparison to KSK/Electric Mole either. So yeah, just a meh.
4. Stem - A good version but this is another song that I've grown VERY accustomed to hearing from Ringo. She has done Stem so many times I've practically lost count. This was more of a novelty than anything else. But I can't say I don't love how the last verse/chorus just builds and builds then finally explodes. I adore the lyrics to the English version of this song so that certainly helps as well. There's something about them that make me get really emotional. I think they're some of her finest.
5. Dynamite - NIMH Rat said it best. This is THE best version of Dynamite easily. I originally gave that title to Dynamite Out's but the orchestra just shines in this song. I especially love the horn section. It's the way it was meant to be played, plain and simple. Her English was especially nice. So nice, in fact, that when I played around my parents they didn't even notice it was "my girl" (what my mom endearingly calls Ringo ). So yeah, another stellar performance. Definitely kept me awake after the previous two.
6. Le Salle de Bain - Nice version of this one too. The orchestra really helped emphasize the turmoil rampant in this song. I actually felt tense just watching it. And, of course, Ringo gets very emotional. I loved that. Completely seemed genuine. A very nice version, I must say. But I have to give the edge to HF's version of Yokushitsu and Le Salle de Bain together just because that is copious amounts of awesome. But it was nice to see at this concert, nevertheless.
7. Papaya Mango - I know practically everybody on this forum hates this song but I can't help but love it! It's just so fun and infectious. And the way she says "nook" has me and my girlfriend perpetually amused. But it's pretty much just like the one on HF, which isn't a bad thing for me. I love the jazzy feel of this song. No, it's not her most brilliant work (especially since it's a cover) but it is a nice fun song bordering on guilty pleasure.
8. Yume no Ato - What's there to say? Good performance but Dynamite Out did it better. The orchestra definitely makes this song dramatic but there's something about Tokyo Jihen's spin on it that will forever make that the definitive version in my mind. And this is coming from someone who heard the HF version of the song first. So yeah, not bad, but not the greatest either.
9. Sid to Hakuchuumu - OH. MY. GOD. This is what I've been waiting for. I have always preferred the single version of this song over the album one. You can guess my delight when I hear the orchestral version of it on here is similar to that style. Definitely my favorite live performance of Sid. Yeah, I know I'm a sucker for showtune-style music, you don't have to tell me. But she just glows in this one. Awesome way to end the show.
10. Meisai - I have to say that Meisai is a pretty good encore. It makes a nice transition to orchestra. But while Saito Neko's violin masturbation was impressive, I feel like it completely dominated the song and made her look like she was just casually singing in-between his wanking. This isn't to say I didn't like this performance, but when everyone except for the pianist, bassist, and drummer walks offstage while he continues, that's a sign to me. That being said, she still was nice vocally but it wasn't as good as the version of Sid, IMO.

1. Koufukuron
- I was a little confused when I first saw this. I kept thinking "Is this Shiina Ringo singing her first single and playing on a really shitty organ that you can barely hear?" It was practically a capella. She didn't sound bad but it wasn't anything that blew me away.
2. Gibs - Same feelings with this one. By this point I was beginning to understand that it was just her and the organ. Good vocals but I have to say that there wasn't much there as far as instrumentation goes. It was cool hearing a "stripped down" version of Gibs though.
3. Fly Me To The Moon - Very nice. Hasegawa's guitar playing is just amazing. He's not a bad singer either. I especially liked Ringo's little organ solo. Go, Shiina! And solo more often, damn it! She almost never shows off, which may make me like her even more considering people that do (*coughYngwieMalmsteencough*) are almost always pretentious douchebags. But I did really like the version of this song. Beats Hikaru Utada's anyway...
4. Keshou Naoshi - Awesome. They both sounded great in this. But I'd expect this song to make a nice transition into this style. It's practically acoustic already. But they both did a great job and Hasegawa showed off some more nice guitar playing here.
5. Ringo no Uta - Oh, this was just amazing. I felt robbed when I couldn't hear the full version on Electric Mole and this almost made up for it. This is a great version of Ringo no Uta. I loved the flute too. Everything just falls into place so well.
6. Omatsuri Sawagi - Holy shit! This came out of left field! Nobody told me that one of my favorite Tokyo Jihen songs was performed at this concert! And you know what? I really liked it. Sure, it lacked Hirama's guitar scratching, HZM's really cool piano fills, Hata's awesome drumming, and Ringo's jazzy wails, but it was still a great performance. And if you told me that they did Omatsuri Sawagi acoustic before I saw this, I probably would have laughed at the idea. To me, it's just such a high energy song. But they really did pull it off. Definitely impressive.
7. Haiiro no Hitomi - It was nice to see Shiina take another from UM after Electric Mole just because I feel those songs are underperformed, even if they are covers. As others have said in the thread, this was great.
8. Wakare no Samba - Seeing Hasegawa do this one was neat but it wasn't a highlight. Just a pretty good guitar and vocal performance.
9. Rakujitsu - I really like Rakujitsu so it was nice seeing Tokyo Jihen come out and help perform this one with them. Not exactly what I'd call the definitive version, but it was a good performance.

If you're still reading this, then you know that as a whole I thought this was a good DVD. While it may not be Dynamite Out or Electric Mole, it still shows a side of Shiina Ringo that I enjoy. No fancy stage lights, no gimmicks, just Ringo playing good music. That alone makes it worthwhile in my book.
Old 2008.11.08, 09:59 AM   #43
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'd just like to point out that, while this version of Dynamite is interesting, her english is better and probably the instruments are more fit for the original (non-Ringo) version... I think DO's version is the way it was meant to be =P
Also, your comment for Sid to Hakuuchumu was nice! I've been listening a lot to this version, recently, and it's getting pretty high in my "best StH version" list. Actually, StH itself is already one of my favourite solo Ringo songs, along with Tsumi to Batsu.

Ah, nice review btw. I read it all, but just wanted to talk about those two songs
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.12, 03:07 PM   #44
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I can't believe it's taken me two years to complete this, but here's a Wakare no Samba translation.
(I haven't actually been working on the translation that long, I just started it on my desktop and then it got taken apart and it took me this long to be able to transfer the file back. But it doesn't look like anyone minded as I never got a request for a translation of it in all this time XD)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.11, 09:41 PM   #45
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Ive had this for years- is it me or is there some weird ringing sound on the first set? I recently bought new stuff and watched this just now- yep, there is definately a ringing there. Wtf
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.12, 06:27 AM   #46
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah, when this was released there was talk about that. not just you, kinda annoying to be honest, it makes watching it/listening to the first set kind of a nuisance.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote