Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.08.07, 02:38 AM   #141
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Thought I'd bump this one.
I was thinking of buying a turntable. Now I realize that the good ones are on the pricey side and I can't really afford them. I'm not really an audiophile and some terms mentioned here about ohms, impedance etc. is black magic to me.

My questions: will buying a cheap turntable be a total waste of money (considering I'm not that picky about sound as some of you guys)? Will it completely ruin my analog experience?
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.07, 04:59 AM   #142
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

My friend, look no further than the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Best you're gonna get at an entry level price. (US $399 last time I heard) I've seen others spinning stuff on similar price ranged tables and nothing's really come close to the sound I've heard from this particular table. I had one for quite a long time and loved it. Remember, the Carbon is very upgradable too, and you don't have to stick with the cartridge it comes with (but the Ortofon 2M Red is not too shabby for a newbie).

A little bit fiddly to set up for beginners, but it's all part of the learning process. You need to get a preamp if you don't have a phono input on whatever you're hooking it up to also. I'd go with the Pro-Ject Phonobox if you need to get one.