Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.10.22, 09:55 PM   #21
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Blackout: I accept Blackout as an alternate take on Sounan and not a ripoff. It's the live versions, you see -- the problem with the Adult version is that it stole Sounan's ambivalence. But when she performs it in JCHI and EXPO you feel that it IS a black out and that terrible things will get you.
I still fail to see Blackout as a ripoff of some sort, let alone that I barely find similarities between this song and Sounan.
I really like this song, specially the classy EXPO performance. I don't know of any other artist that can introduce salsa elements with such... elegance, and Blackout is the perfect example, it makes a nice contrast with the rigid drums of the verses and especially in that liberating ending: the wish for reaching it is so strong that the whole song feels like a postponement of that tonic instant.

Changing the subject, yes, I don't always watch Spa & Treatment, but when I do, Ringo's sexiness there (looks, attitude, singing, whatever) is surely one of the reasons why many of those performances are worth watching.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.23, 01:00 AM   #22
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
I still fail to see Blackout as a ripoff of some sort, let alone that I barely find similarities between this song and Sounan.
I really like this song, specially the classy EXPO performance. I don't know of any other artist that can introduce salsa elements with such... elegance, and Blackout is the perfect example, it makes a nice contrast with the rigid drums of the verses and especially in that liberating ending: the wish for reaching it is so strong that the whole song feels like a postponement of that tonic instant.

Changing the subject, yes, I don't always watch Spa & Treatment, but when I do, Ringo's sexiness there (looks, attitude, singing, whatever) is surely one of the reasons why many of those performances are worth watching.
Sometimes when I try to hum Sounan, it turns to Blackout. The Adult version sounds like Sounan on automatic. This doesn’t serve as the basis for any technical, objective comparison, but I do sympathise with the accusations at least. They can’t be too far off, can they?

In terms of sexiness, I will say that Tsukigime-hime’s live performance struck me because it was the first time I had seen Ringo being ’sexy’ and effeminate in the way that’s typically expected from female pop stars. I think it works in service of the song rather to titillate. If I were straight, I’d definitely think it was hot -- but mostly as an aside, a note to self rather than come here and sound like I jack off every time I hear or see Ringo. It’s a bit crude.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.23, 04:36 AM   #23
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I second those who mentioned blackout (especially the EXPO ver. which takes the song to a whole new level), Yukiguni (JCHI ver.) and Virgin Line's Gunjo, which Ilike much better than the original. Discovery's Kinjirareta Asobi is also a great performance which I feel is a bit overlooked here
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.23, 08:24 AM   #24
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
The word's overused, but whatever. Post moments during SR/TJ's career that you feel are underappreciated, overlooked, or that merely appeals to your personal taste.
Gekokujyo XTC: SR blows her nose on stage and gets pissed when she notices the cameraman filming it. She reacts by throwing the tissue at him.

Gibs (Electric Mole): Hirama delivers the best live guitar solo in SR/TJ's career. And he improvised it.

Denki no nai Toshi (Discovery): I'm shocked it doesn't appear to be a forum favorite. I'm going to assume it's because the heart and soul of the forum has still yet to see/hear it. It's intense and one of the better live ballads.

Morphine: Often under-appreciated because it's "not as good as" other album closers and it's on the pop-rock album.

Ishiki ~Sengo Saidaikyū no Bōfūu Kennai Kashō~: I just really like the ending and how it cuts the didgeridoo opening. It's much more somber than the album version.

And I agree with Handsome Sugite.
Old 2012.10.23, 08:51 AM   #25
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Gekokujyo XTC: SR blows her nose on stage and gets pissed when she notices the cameraman filming it. She reacts by throwing the tissue at him.

Gibs (Electric Mole): Hirama delivers the best live guitar solo in SR/TJ's career. And he improvised it.

Denki no nai Toshi (Discovery): I'm shocked it doesn't appear to be a forum favorite. I'm going to assume it's because the heart and soul of the forum has still yet to see/hear it. It's intense and one of the better live ballads.

Morphine: Often under-appreciated because it's "not as good as" other album closers and it's on the pop-rock album.

Ishiki ~Sengo Saidaikyū no Bōfūu Kennai Kashō~: I just really like the ending and how it cuts the didgeridoo opening. It's much more somber than the album version.

And I agree with Handsome Sugite.
Okay, that's pretty much my list. Especially Denki no nai Toshi on the Discovery DVD. Not that my review in the DVD thread was the be-all-and-end-all, but I hoped at least to spread awareness of how awesome it was/is.

And how did I miss that nose-blowing in Gekokujou???? Which song is it????
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.23, 10:31 AM   #26
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
And how did I miss that nose-blowing in Gekokujou???? Which song is it????
It's been awhile, but I think it was at the end of Koufukuron.
Old 2012.10.23, 10:41 AM   #27
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
It's been awhile, but I think it was at the end of Koufukuron.
Well I'm due for a rewatch anyway.

Gekokujou Xstasy as a whole is highly underrated. The Electric Mole versions of the songs are obviously technically superior but Gekokujou has the passion. Tsumi to Batsu, for example. And Love Is Blind. People who went nuts over Zazen Xstasy should be putting Gekokujou on a pedestal.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.23, 01:01 PM   #28
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Gekokujou Xstasy as a whole is highly underrated. The Electric Mole versions of the songs are obviously technically superior but Gekokujou has the passion. Tsumi to Batsu, for example. And Love Is Blind. People who went nuts over Zazen Xstasy should be putting Gekokujou on a pedestal.
Gekokujou is a masterpiece (minus the off stage footage etc)! More of a Halloween show though. Blood drenched Ringo crawling out of the morgue demanding audience to stimulate her...

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.10.23 at 02:17 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.23, 02:47 PM   #29
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think it's a rather serious problem where I can't tell the difference between the album and single versions of Meisai and Ishiki.

Yeah, the Gekokujou tissue bit is right at the end of Koufukuron.

Morphine is one of those songs where I listen to it and go "Great!" but ask me later about Morphine and a not a single bit of the melody pops into my head.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.23, 07:24 PM   #30
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I completely agree with the awesomeness of Morphine. As well as "Akane sasu..."
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote