Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.07.02, 08:28 PM   #11
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Wow yoru na3x was so awesome. As I examine it, the molecular components of that video are largely win based, superceding the inferior carbon based fodder around it....

I enjoyed that video too much. I really liked the way the kanji was displayed, it was cool. It really reminded me of a MAD I would see on nico nico.... It looked more fan made than professional, which is a huge compliment, imo. Oh yea, the deformed armless kawaii ningyo doll thingie was also win, just incase you were wondering!

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 09:09 PM   #12
kamikaze

kamikaze is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
On the topic of 歌謡曲

This is taken from the dictionary at http://www.alc.co.jp

And Edict just says "popular song". I think the meaning of the term seems to be quite varied depending on source. With one saying enka is a kind of kayoukyoku.
From what I was told from a few Japanese friends, there is a open and narrow definition to the term. In the same way that in the south in the US we refer to soda as "Coke" or at the same time just actually "Coca-Cola." Like "Hey, what kind of coke do you want" or "Just give me Coke"

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
It's not like J-Pop is not influenced by western music...
J-pop is heavily influenced by western music which is why it's excluded from the narrow definition...

Last edited by kamikaze : 2008.07.12 at 09:16 PM.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 09:33 PM   #13
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

-OFF TOPIC-

Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
From what I was told from a few Japanese friends, there is a open and narrow definition to the term. In the same way that in the south in the US we refer to soda as "Coke" or at the same time just actually "Coca-Cola." Like "Hey, what kind of coke do you want" or "Just give me Coke"
Actually that "soda" stuff is a whole bag of worms. And your "Texas"-ness is showing by your usage of "Coke" to be a generic term for cola. "Coke" in that sense is not so common throughout the rest of the states. In the northern states they say "pop" -- which totally drove me batty when I was briefly in Ohio.

"Hey, you wanna go get a pop?"
--"WTF is that? You asking me to fight?...ooohhh you mean a coke"

Ok I didnt verbally say that part before the ellipsis, but it did take me a while to catch on what on earth a pop was.

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

I've trained myself not to say "cokes" in preference to "soda" since using brand names as generic nouns is a bad thing (i guess.) and actually the map I linked surprises me. The last time I saw data about this, "soda" was the term of choice throughout the south, with "coke" being almost a strictly Texas-Louisiana thing.

Soda/Pop/Coke: serious business.

(EDIT: after re-reading your post, i see you did mention the "south" saying coke. Buut, I like my rambling on the subject enough to keep this posted)
Old 2008.07.12, 09:38 PM   #14
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

ha.. i was raised to call it *pop* which really annoys people.. most people i know call any canned drink *juice* be it Coke Pepsi or whatever... or it's also called *Ginger* though it's mostly the older generation who give it that term (50's/60's)
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 09:45 PM   #15
kamikaze

yeah, whenever I travel around the US and people say "Pop," it still sounds really strange everytime, even though I know exactly what they are talking about. I didn't know Brits called it Pop also, I guess because I don't really drink sodas anymore and when I have around English friends, they will refer it by brand name.

but yeah I was just trying to use another example of how a word can be used in a broad and narrow sense.

Last edited by kamikaze : 2008.07.12 at 09:48 PM.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.13, 12:25 AM   #16
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I guess the technical definition of "Kayokyoku" (歌謡曲) is Japanese music with lyrics, like a ballad. But the more precise definition, and in this case, would be Japanese music with a western influence outside of J-Pop or Enka.
It's not like J-Pop is not influenced by western music...
J-pop is heavily influenced by western music which is why it's excluded from the narrow definition...
So you're saying that Kayokyoku has western influence and J-Pop has MORE western influence than Kayokyoku. Is that it?
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.13, 05:28 AM   #17
kamikaze

So you're saying that Kayokyoku has western influence and J-Pop has MORE western influence than Kayokyoku. Is that it?
I guess it depends on which definition. But J-Pop in essense is western music. Sure it's unique in it's own way, but really it's just Japanese people making "western music," and of course I'm generalizing so there is probably some exceptions.

It's like when I eat Italian food in Asia. Many restaurants use local ingredients and fuse the taste to fit the palate of the people it's serving. Like in Korea, it's Koreans cooking their version of Italian food but for Koreans. So, it's very different, but it's still Italian food in essense.
Old 2008.07.16, 07:16 AM   #18
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I guess it depends on which definition. But J-Pop in essense is western music. Sure it's unique in it's own way, but really it's just Japanese people making "western music," and of course I'm generalizing so there is probably some exceptions.

It's like when I eat Italian food in Asia. Many restaurants use local ingredients and fuse the taste to fit the palate of the people it's serving. Like in Korea, it's Koreans cooking their version of Italian food but for Koreans. So, it's very different, but it's still Italian food in essense.
YOU COULD HAVE JUST SAID "KAYOKYOKU = KOREAN-ITALIAN FOOD" FROM THE START!

NICE EXPLANATION, I THINK I GET THE TERM NOW *NOD*
MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS STUCK. And I'm too lazy to rewrite all that, sorry.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.21, 05:44 AM   #19
Ryorinin

Ryorinin pleased at least somebody

When I listen modern kayokyoku musicians, I had a impression of something old, nostalgic, a 60's and 70's feelings... Really I love this kind of music, specially if you think about the crap you have nowadays in Japan.
Recently, this nostalgia feelings are getting quite popular in the Japanese independet scene. In undergrounds clubs in Shinjuku and Koenji, you can listen a plenty of bands with strong influence from the music of 50's, 60's and 70's, specially kayokyoku.
So, if you guys like Kurahashi, try Salome Lips (サロメの唇), Kikoko Hotel or Thee 50's High Teens
Ryorinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.21, 10:46 PM   #20
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

I'm glad this thread was bumped, because it's my new favorite thread.

Also, Yoeko Kurahashi is pretty good.
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote