Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do you think that she should sing in English ?
Yes 66 77.65%
No 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.09.02, 02:49 PM   #51
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Changing style/sound for anything other than musical progression = sell out. She should use English only when she deems it necessary, and not for the sake of more widespread acclaim. As much as I'd love her to be famous here in England, if the world can't accept her native language, that's their loss. I have no idea why the Japanese market is ignored when critics and western music fans widely accept the likes of Bjork, Sigur Ros and Rammstein.

And welcome, by the way You should introduce yourself properly in the New Members Thread.
How is language changing your style/sound and being a sell out? It's a normal goal for a musician to reach as much people as they can with their music.. without changing who they are and their personal style.
Old 2007.09.04, 12:15 PM   #52
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Yes, but a musician wants to reach as many people while playing the music as he/she originally intended. If Shiina deems the majority of her songs to be played in Japanese, then to change the language for the sole purpose of spreading out and selling more records, yes, I'd class that as selling out.

The original quote I am combating is

I think that Ringo-sama should sings in English. Singing in Japanese, she won't be able to be famous out of Japan
Which is wanting Shiina to sing in English for the sole reason of being an international success. I have no problem with Shiina singing in English. In fact I think she does it rather well and I like her English-speaking songs. That isn't my problem. My problem would be if she released an English album just to sell in America or Europe regardless of if she thought the songs suited, or needed to be sung in English. To me, that is no different than changing an aspect of a song to make it sound more commercial and saleable.

As I've said, if Shiina can't get international success with her already brilliant catalogue, then that is the rest of the worlds loss.

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2007.09.04 at 03:23 PM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.04, 03:09 PM   #53
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Well, since she doesn't even seem to want that (international success), I don't think we have anything to worry about.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.04, 03:23 PM   #54
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

Ehh. Whatever. I like that she's got depth but I don't think it would be a sellout to make an all English album. I don't think she would tho. Is "Monkey Majik" selling out because they couldn't make it in the west, singing in English?

Off topic:
Where is the thread to compliment Inaudible-Whisper on his creative signature images?
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.04, 03:38 PM   #55
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Don't get me wrong, if Shiina felt that she needed to make an all-English album for musical reasons, and was happy to go in that direction it wouldn't bother me. As long as she wasn't doing it for the wrong reasons. As freckles (Can I call you freckles? You do like Lost after all Do you like Kate? Anyway. I think it's a cute nickname)... where was I? As freckles said, I don't think Shiina is interested in international success at all. It only bothers me as a closer tour would be nice.

And thank you for the compliment about my sigs

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2007.09.04 at 03:42 PM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.04, 05:36 PM   #56
freshevryday

freshevryday pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
ringo's english is really spot on

sometimes I need to follow along with the lyric booklet, but I have to do that for English speaking artists as well.

I also don't imagine Ringo has much time to brush up on her English so I would say the amount she has retained from what education she has had is pretty amazing.
i completly agree with you, shiina sings great in english especially compared to other Japanese singers. I think by her changing languages every now and then it allows her to create different feels. I too have to check up on the lyrics sometimes, but i do that for native english speakers too.

Blog: Just Can't Help it!
freshevryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.04, 07:19 PM   #57
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
As freckles (Can I call you freckles? You do like Lost after all Do you like Kate? Anyway. I think it's a cute nickname)
I don't mind at all. I've been using this name for years and on other forums and it usually gets shortened to something like that (frecks/freckle/etc).
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.09, 11:11 PM   #58
Izam

Izam pleased at least somebody

I haven't really minded any of her English songs (her pronounciation really isn't bad!) but I don't think I'd like it very much if she does a lot of it. Everyone once in awhile is perfect.
Izam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.10, 03:05 PM   #59
CARMEN

CARMEN pleased at least somebody

After listening to many JPOP artists over the years, I say....let the woman sing in English!!!

I think she tends to sing English in a special way that makes me not mind it. I mean you know that she's not native but you don't mind it....I appreciate the fact that she takes the effort to learn how to pronounce words the right way and she does it fairly good. JPOP artists might be able to get away with things like 'I love you' and single words but when they need to say a string of words they are absolutely horrible, which is something that does not happen with SR.

I think to me most important of all is not the fact that she sings in English but I admire her ability to write lyrics in that language....which brings me to the question (I think someone's asked it a little earlier on too), does she truly wrote these herself or does she get someone to translate it to English from Japanese lyrics she wrote? Saying that she didn't exactly wrote the English lyrics to her and TJ's songs would crush my dream.
CARMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.10, 04:08 PM   #60
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

The releases after ADULT prove that she SHOULD sing in English. She has improved greatly and gives the language a nice twist. Kaban no Nakami, Karada, and Fukushuu are great examples of this.

Granted, this poll was not made after the releases, but still
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote