Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2012.03.09, 10:39 AM   #1621
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I haven't played a schmup since 2008. It was Deathsmiles in a Japanese arcade. Back in the day, we'd play shmups on the Saturn/Dreamcast and flip a monitor sideways to play them in tate mode. I've been trying to convince my brother to flip the 50" plasma for some Ikaruga action to no avail.
Old 2012.03.09, 07:51 PM   #1622
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I haven't played a schmup since 2008. It was Deathsmiles in a Japanese arcade.
I played Deathsmiles on a friend's 360 and was impressed with it. I prefer vertical shmups because I have an easier time centering my focus with the symmetry of the screen, but horizontal shmups always have better artwork and are more visually inventive.

Back in the day, we'd play shmups on the Saturn/Dreamcast and flip a monitor sideways to play them in tate mode. I've been trying to convince my brother to flip the 50" plasma for some Ikaruga action to no avail.
I know absolutely nothing about tate-ing monitors/TVs, but I can't blame your brother...
Ikaruga's one I want to play down the line. I've got a Wii that I haven't used in some time just asking for it.

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Which bullet hell games did you play, they're just hypnotic to watch...?
I played more indie danmaku than mainstream danmaku. I absolutely love Touhou even if I loathe its fanbase, particularly because ZUN focuses more on the aesthetic qualities of his bullet patterns than studios like Cave.

But one of my favorites is an esoteric and rather complicated game called Hellsinker that's actually quite easy if you sit down and learn it.

The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.22, 08:38 AM   #1623
Maou

@My Shmup Brothers
The 360 has a surprising amount of good shmups. It's really weird to see the Japanese developers releasing all those games on the 360 of all consoles. Mushihime-sama HD is coming at the end of May.

For other games I've been playing:

Silent Hill Downpour - Not bad. It has it's own feel instead of feeling like "Western developer fails to copy Silent Hill 2" again. It does some good and some bad things. Great atmosphere, terrible performance, and an even more predictable story than SH3. I really, really hope this is the last SH game to feature breakable weapons. Good pickup at US$40 and under.

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Some of you guys know that NG Black is my favorite hack-n-slash game. NG3 is an abomination. It's beyond horrible. It looks good, but that's about it. All depth from NG an NG2 has been stripped and it controls terribly. Hayabusa is unresponsive and his attack tracking often goes in the complete opposite direction of the enemy. It has cheap difficulty as well. You will only die in this game because of cheap off-screen throws that take 25-75% of your health.
Old 2012.03.22, 09:30 AM   #1624
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Ninja Gaiden 3 - Some of you guys know that NG Black is my favorite hack-n-slash game. NG3 is an abomination. It's beyond horrible. It looks good, but that's about it. All depth from NG an NG2 has been stripped and it controls terribly. Hayabusa is unresponsive and his attack tracking often goes in the complete opposite direction of the enemy. It has cheap difficulty as well. You will only die in this game because of cheap off-screen throws that take 25-75% of your health.
If you are really disappointed by Ninja Gaiden 3, see this to make you want to slap the developers.

http://www.play-mag.co.uk/general/ninja-gaiden-producer-bayonetta-is-outdated/
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.22, 03:26 PM   #1625
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I almost got the collectors edition of NG3 too... sounds like it can't even be saved by a Sigma version. What a pity. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is also awful too. Oh well, 2012 has at least had a good start with music at least.
Old 2012.03.23, 02:43 PM   #1626
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

It's really weird to see the Japanese developers releasing all those games on the 360 of all consoles.
This has puzzled me, because the ratio of Wii : PS3 : 360 sales in Japan is 7.86 : 5.10 : 1. I think the 360 may be easier to develop for than the PS3.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.23, 04:43 PM   #1627
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
I think the 360 may be easier to develop for than the PS3.
This is overshadowed by a much larger truth. Windows is also by far the easiest OS to develop new PC applications for. Any developer who shrugs off a Microsoft platform, really DOESN'T know the power of the dark side.

On the topic of specific games...
I'm playing the new Shogun 2 standalone expansion, Fall of the Samurai. It's the same time and place as the film The Last Samurai (with Tom Cruise). If a bunch of samurai charged up a hill against gatling guns, the battle would pretty much end the same way in this game. There's some much slower and less-accurate artillery you get access to long before gatling guns, though.

I kinda see parallels between 19th century Japan coming to terms with guns and railroads, and 21st century Japan coming to terms with Microsoft. Oh, it's ALL evil in SOME way, but it's also a much more effective use of peoples' time.

I've still never owned a Microsoft console system, because I've more strongly preferred Sony exclusives over Microsoft exclusives, and because I don't feel any compelling urge to do online multiplayer (which Microsoft has always implemented better). And it IS weird to see so many Square-Enix games on the 360, but I'll come to terms with that eventually - whether I end up doing any game development or not.
Old 2012.04.18, 02:58 AM   #1628
Izam

Izam pleased at least somebody

In terms of RPG, I really love Skies of Arcadia. I own 3 copies of it. 2 dream cast version (because 1 of the disk didn't work so I had to buy a 2nd copy), 1 game cube version. I love both! Great game. In fact I want to play it again soon.

I like Shenmue I and II also. I'm glad I could play the 2nd game on my dreamcast.

I also finished Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity (エンド オブ エタニティ) at the end of last year. I'm not so much as an addicted gamer like I was because I picked up a new hobby a few years ago LOL, so this game was difficult for me to play! It took me 1-2 hours to figure out the battle system. I felt really dumb because I didn't understand it quick enough. But I do feel pretty accomplished after I beat it. However, Neverland I couldn't defeat a single enemy. I didn't level everyone up to the max for all their skills....I hope there will be a 2nd one soon. I really love this game.

I recently finished the Musashi: Samurai Legend (never got around to play it until 2 weeks ago). It was great too!

I also really love all the Silent Hill games (but I stopped buying after they stop using Japanese team ^^)

I also really like RE series when it wasn't so much about shooting. I remember playing the 1st RE game on my friend's console and he didn't have a memory card. I managed to beat it without being able to save.

I also like the Yakuza series a lot. I haven't played the zombie one though. Maybe I will buy it soon.
Izam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.05.14, 11:55 AM   #1629
Maou

We are less than 12 hours away from the Diablo III servers going up. I'm ready. I can play co-op later in the week if anybody is interested.
Old 2012.05.15, 07:30 PM   #1630
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So, I just bought myself a PS2!
I've NEVER owned a Sony console before, and I'm really excited.
I also got a PSP for free! (1st Gen)

I was going to buy a PS3 (1st Gen) that could play PS2 games, but I decided I didn't want to play twice the money when all I really want to do is play PS2 games.

Hey! I waited ~10 years to get a PS2, I can wait a couple more for a PS3

Any Recommendations? PS2 and PSP
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote