Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.08.16, 12:42 PM   #21
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
When you've committed war crimes against your neighbors, I'd say it's a bad thing to try and forget all about it. I'm not saying I want Japan to live in shame - I'm just saying I want their ego averaged out at a healthy level from the complete set of legitimately positive and negative reasons. That's kind of how I feel about any country - including the United States. We've done some bad things. Germany has done some bad things. Japan is in more denial than both of us combined, and when their PMs or cabinet MPs are in denial, then I have to wonder about the future of their country and the world, just as I'm scared of any neocons over here with an "America can do no wrong" attitude when it comes to foreign policy.
Thought about this thread when reading this AP article. Below is the beginning of the article.

Japan PM voices deep regret over WWII suffering
(AP) – 1 day ago
TOKYO — Japan's prime minister expressed deep regret over the suffering his country inflicted on Asian countries during World War II in a solemn ceremony Saturday that marked the 64th anniversary of Tokyo's surrender.
Prime Minister Taro Aso joined some 4,800 bereaved families to pay respect to 3.1 million Japanese war dead — 2.3 million soldiers and 800,000 civilians — at the Nihon Budokan hall in Tokyo. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko also attended the ceremony, leading a one-minute silence at noon.
"Our country inflicted tremendous damage and suffering on many countries, particularly people in Asia. As a representative of the Japanese people, I humbly express my remorse for the victims, along with deep regret," Aso said in a speech at the nationally televised ceremony.
The prime minister vowed that Japan would never repeat the tragedy.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.16, 01:15 PM   #22
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ THAT is awesome. It takes a lot of guts to actually go out and say that they did some bad stuff back then when for years a lot of their population grew up oblivious of any wrongdoings because of the denial.

Thanks Japan PM.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.08.16 at 01:20 PM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.28, 11:41 AM   #23
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by JimmyKoria View Post
I hear quit a few Japanese artists are like that. I think I remember hearing Ayumi hamasaki talk about "Ayu" being a different persona. In public she is Ayumi but in privet she is Kumiko(I think that's her real name).
Ayu's real name is in fact Ayumi...in kanji her name is written 浜崎あゆみ but originally it was written 濱崎歩 (said the same).
I think with the Kumiko you're thinking of her pre-Avex pseudonym Kurumi, but Kumi Koda's real name is Kumiko.

I've always thought that Ringo was eccentric but really polite.

Last edited by zyoeru : 2009.08.28 at 11:51 AM.
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote