Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do you think that she should sing in English ?
Yes 66 77.65%
No 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.10.10, 05:23 PM   #61
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The SR I know would write all the lyrics herself.
Old 2007.10.10, 05:26 PM   #62
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Hedofloe View Post
The releases after ADULT prove that she SHOULD sing in English.
How does the fact that she is good at it prove that she SHOULD do it? If I was a musician and I became fluent in Japanese, I wouldn't WANT to sing the majority of my songs in Japanese. It's all about what she wants to do, not what she can do. If she wants to sing a song in English, she will. She shouldn't sing a song in English just because she can.
Old 2007.10.10, 05:38 PM   #63
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Yeah, that makes sense, but she does keep singing songs in English and she has gotten better at it, which is why I think she should keep doing it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.10, 05:47 PM   #64
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Well, if she's happy doing it, I have no problem
Old 2007.10.10, 08:17 PM   #65
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by CARMEN View Post
I think to me most important of all is not the fact that she sings in English but I admire her ability to write lyrics in that language....which brings me to the question (I think someone's asked it a little earlier on too), does she truly wrote these herself or does she get someone to translate it to English from Japanese lyrics she wrote? Saying that she didn't exactly wrote the English lyrics to her and TJ's songs would crush my dream.
all of the english tracks from this era (Variety), being Kaban no Nakami and Fukushuu (just those two right?) have had an english translator meaning ringo wrote the lyrics in japanese and he translated them to english, which is what you are hearing her sing. She has written songs in English in the past, although to my knowledge she hasn't included information about a possible translator. Maybe she was using one before and it was in the fine print or maybe she just used one for these few songs for whatever reason. Until she comes out and talks about it in an interview I guess we will never know (and why does it never come up? It is pretty rare that you have an artist who has lived overseas and consistently writes tracks in a foreign language. You would think if an American band kept on putting french tracks on all their albums someone might get around to asking about it)
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.11, 02:23 AM   #66
HEDOfloe

It was Kaban no Nakami Fukushuu AND Karada.
Old 2007.10.11, 02:45 AM   #67
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I vote a yes.

Makes me think if Ringo needs an 英会話 tutor - which I assume she indeed does need, she's just a normal Japanese girl after all.

If someone asks me to tutor her... I won't say no. :-9

Last edited by Jonny : 2007.10.11 at 02:48 AM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.12, 07:46 PM   #68
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh... So Robbie Clark translates the whole song? T_T I was afraid of that... I was hoping he would be more of an advisor/editor. That practically makes the lyrics written by both Ringo and him. T_T I thought Ringo was good enough to write her lyrics in English first, even if they need a little editing after. Didn't HF say 'English adaptation' instead of translation? Is there a difference?
Old 2007.10.12, 08:25 PM   #69
HEDOfloe

I was wondering about that too. I think that it would be that he translates the song and then she goes to work on it again to make it rhyme and things like that. Otherwise, Robbie must be a good lyric writer
Old 2007.10.17, 09:50 AM   #70
Canto

Canto has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Ringo did write some English lyrics all by herself, like Sigma and Genjitsu wo Warau and Konoyo. And she did loads of translation work in HF session. That proves she has the ability to adopt English as her tool to express herself. The reason why she needs a translator sometimes may be she needs some different flavor to her songs, just like why she asked other members to compose Variety.
Canto is offline   Reply With Quote