Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.02.19, 02:29 AM   #51
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Hard to say, there's so many versions of Shinjuku now haha. But I take it you're going on the Mahou Ga version right...

The best version of this song is most lives, I love how she sighs painfully before saying Kyarys name.

There's another version which mentions Loft... So I think this song changes with her current life situation/she changes up verses for whatever reason.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.19 at 02:33 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.23, 12:55 AM   #52
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Yeah, what relase is Sayonara on? I only have her two albums, her stuff with Lai Lai Lai Team, and Kuro Rekishi. I'd totally give it a try if you told me where it is.

Do you guys know where I can find info on when her shows will be? I'm 90% sure I'm going to be studying in Japan for July, and I'd love to see her.
Old 2014.02.23, 01:11 AM   #53
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by s3r3nity View Post
Yeah, what relase is Sayonara on? I only have her two albums, her stuff with Lai Lai Lai Team, and Kuro Rekishi. I'd totally give it a try if you told me where it is.

Do you guys know where I can find info on when her shows will be? I'm 90% sure I'm going to be studying in Japan for July, and I'd love to see her.
The original version of Sayonara is on the debut EP "Pink" and there's version on all the live releases too.

As for live schedule, it's here http://oomoriseiko.info/live (only goes up to April right now)

I'm sure you'll be able to get a show in if you're in Tokyo area, she seems to be non-stop touring. If you do though, let me know cause there's always some weird cd-r's and stuff they have at her shows it seems.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.23 at 01:16 AM.
Old 2014.02.23, 01:19 AM   #54
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Awesome, thanks! I'll keep my eyes on the Live schedule and keep you updated if she posts something I'll be going to. I'll be in Kobe, but if it's on a weekend I can probably just take a bus to Tokyo or something the night before.

Also, Turtle, I've been starting to translate some info on her website and it looks like she (or maybe someone on her staff) talks a little bit about Shinjuku in it, so when I finish I'll post it here.

Last edited by s3r3nity : 2014.02.23 at 01:24 AM.
s3r3nity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.24, 07:29 PM   #55
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

ミッドナイト清純異性交遊

アンダーグラウンドから君の指まで遠くはないのさ
iphoneのあかりをのこして
ワンルームファンタジー
何を食べたとか 街の匂いとか 全部教えて
ときわ公園 空とぶ自転車
14才でみつけた桃色のうさぎ
ブルーな気持ちを食べて 歪にかわいい
プラスチックのステージで君はおどりだす

今夜しか見れない流星群
キャラじゃないなんて甘えてるから逃してばっか

春を殺して夢はひかっている
嘘でもいい 嫌いでもいい 私をみつけて
ストロー噛んでバスストップから睨んだ
狂ってるのは君のほう ミッドナイト清純異性交遊

君の気持はSNS ときに顔文字なくてSOS
めんどくさい夢 しょうがないファックユー
アイコンちがうかお 油性でかいちゃったから消えないI LOVE U
発売延期でぼくだけのキラーチューン

アンダーグラウンドから 君の指まで遠くはないのさ
iphoneのあかりをのこしてワンルームファンタジー
黒髪少女で妄想通りさ 君だけがアイドル

いつまでも大きい瞳で大丈夫な日の私だけをみつめてよ

派手なグッバイ けちらしたいストーリー
不評なエンディングでも好きだから守ってあげるよ
ストロー噛んでバスストップから睨んだ
世界だって君にあげる
ミッドナイト清純異性交遊
---------------------------------
Midnight Innocent Opposite Sex Friendship

It’s not far from the underground to your fingers
Reserve the light of your iphone
Studio apartment fantasy
Tell me everything about what you ate, the city smells, etc.
Tokiwa park, bikes flying (in the) sky
14 years old (when) we found the pink rabbit
Eat the cute, warped blue kimchi
You break into dance on the plastic stage

Meteor shower that cannot be seen tonight
Unlike a character, because I am a spoilt brat I set the idiot free (?)
The dream to kill spring is shining (OR: The shining dream to skill spring)

Discover me even with lies, even with hate
And glared from the bus stop chewing straw
The disarray (from this) Midnight Opposite Sex Friendship to you

Your feelings are a social network without smiley faces SOS
Bothersome dream hopeless fuck you
The wrong icon face, I LOVE U cannot vanish because I write it in oils
Only my killer tune for sale

It’s not far from the underground to your fingers
Reserve the light of your iphone, Studio apartment fantasy
By the black-haired girl delusional way, only you are (my) idol

Forever stare with big eyes only at me on good days!

I want to kick about flashy goodbyes story
Even though I like unpopular endings, I will protect you
And glared from the bus stop chewing straw;
Even in this world I’ll raise you up
Midnight Innocent Opposite Sex Friendship
-------------------------------------------
This one was quicker than Shinjuku, but I feel like it makes less sense. I can't even interpret it. I'm guessing it's just referencing events from Oomori's personal life?
The lyrics specifically use the word "isei" which means opposite sex, but the PV depicts a same-sex relationship *shrug*.
A bunch of lines that I have no idea how to interpret, a lot of guesswork. I'm trying to be less rigid but even though I can translate the phrase rigidly I don't really understand it. Part of the reason is because I don't understand how she's using "de" and "ni" particles throughout the song, because the way I was taught they are supposed to be used is very different to how she uses them here. So this isn't so much a translation as "slightly more legible than Google Translate".
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.24, 07:47 PM   #56
deadgrandma

^ I really wouldn't worry about not being able to interpret her lyrics fully, she, like Tori Amos and (the occasional) Ringo seems to have a writing style that is up to the interpretation more than being matter-of-fact. Well, give or take a few of the hard-biters on Mahou Ga/Zettai- these ones are usually the acoustic and voice only ones too. The more poppy ones all seem very vague when someone translates, and I think this is on purpose to just fuck with people- just like say, Cornflake Girl- look how many interpretations that song has.

A big problem I have with any translations of Japanese songs is how stiff everything sounds, I know it's not the translators fault but I guess the sense of flow is lost- for one, the rhyme and rhythm are gone. It's a reason I have a pet hate for fansubs in foreign films- sure, a lot of the time the translations in fansubs are more accurate/factual, but there's a reason for studio subs to be less accurate- if you're busy reading something that doesn't sound natural- you're gonna miss the tone of whatever they're saying. It's hard to express what I'm trying to get at and I'm blubbering off topic a fair bit now too.

I do appreciate your contributions/efforts though.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.24 at 08:00 PM.
Old 2014.02.24, 08:00 PM   #57
TurtleFu

I disagree. She uses very plain language, at least in the songs I have looked at. The issue is my skills in not understanding how the tenses are used and how she moves around clauses in a sentence.

I don't know, I think her lyrics are really important. She has that whole confessional thing going on, I appreciate that she can both convey the meaning of the song through her highly emotive voice and her lyrics. SHe seems like a diary-style songwriter, and I think parsing out her lyrics help unveil another layer of her songwriting.

A huge, huge part of translating is transliterating, keeping that rhythm. The translator for Murakami's works, for example, admits that he basically has to rewrite the novel. I'm not advanced enough and not a good enough write ron my own to even attempt to maintain a rhythm.

Also its fun and good practice. Though lyrics are not similar to typical Japanese speech.

Also, is "killer tune" a common phrase in Japanese or is that possibly a Ringo reference?

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2014.02.24 at 08:06 PM.
Old 2014.02.24, 08:13 PM   #58
deadgrandma

Yeah I have been wondering about "Killer Tune" for quite a while now, I've heard the phrase used in a lot of Japanese (mainly teen themed) movies or anime quite a few times now. I've heard Jun Togawa use the term in an interview too. So I'm guessing it's been around for a while now.
Old 2014.02.25, 11:52 AM   #59
Rhea

Rhea is headed in the right direction

I think her lyrics can be a bit vague in some songs, but she has some that are pretty straight-forward as well. But I think song lyrics are pretty difficult to translate in general. I found Midnight difficult to understand until I figured out that the song is about Michshige Sayumi from Morning Musume.

In the liner notes posted on the Zettai Shoujo site, Seiko writes that one time she was watching some compilation video of Sayumi's career on YouTube, and she was really annoyed that the person who made used some random Sakanaction song instead of one of hers. Because no one loves Sayumi like Seiko loves Sayumi, apparently. So she decided to write the ultimate Michishige Sayumi song, so that next time someone makes a Sayumi compilation video they'll have to use her song. This is paraphrased, but that's basically what she wrote in the liner notes lol

With that in mind, Midnight seems to be a song about an idol (specifically Sayumi) from a fans point of view (specifically a male pov. Maybe). The "pure opposite sex friendship" in the song title might then refer to the relationship between female idols and male fans, which many of the fans would characterize as something "pure" (though I don't know about that).

Also, the mentions of iphones and "tell me about what you ate etc" in the first verse makes me think it's probably about following your idol on twitter.

As for the lyrics you were having trouble with, TurtleFu, I think I can help with some of them. Though my Japanese is hardly perfect either! >.>

ブルーな気持ちを食べて 歪にかわいい
Eat the blue feelings, a twisted kind of cute
I think her she uses blue as meaning something sad or melancholy. Eating blue feeling might refer to the way an idol will cheer up fans? I'm not sure, honestly. The twisted kind of cute probably refers to idols/Sayumi.

今夜しか見れない流星群
キャラじゃないなんて甘えてるから逃してばっか
A meteor shower that can only be seen tonight
It's not in your character, I'll spoil you so just let loose
It's not your character, you act spoiled, then you keep missing out

Edit: Changed this line a bit, but still not sure about it.

春を殺して夢はひかっている
嘘でもいい 嫌いでもいい 私をみつけて
ストロー噛んでバスストップから睨んだ
狂ってるのは君のほう ミッドナイト清純異性交遊
Kill spring, my dreams are shining
It's fine if it's a lie, it's fine if you hate it, please find me
You glared from the bus stop, chewing at a straw
You're the one going mad, Midnight Pure Opposite Sex Friendship

Not 100% sure about these lines...

黒髪少女で妄想通りさ 君だけがアイドル
A black-haired girl exactly like my delusions, you are my only idol

派手なグッバイ けちらしたいストーリー
不評なエンディングでも好きだから守ってあげるよ
ストロー噛んでバスストップから睨んだ
世界だって君にあげる
ミッドナイト清純異性交遊
Flashy goodbyes, a story of wanting to kick things about
Even with a disgraceful ending, I love you, I'll protect you
You glared from the bus stop, chewing at a straw
I'll give you the world
Midnight Pure Opposite Sex Friendship

Not sure about the first line here, especially the けちらしたいストーリー part.

Aah, this post turned out really long... I've spent a lot of time thinking about this song so yeah

Last edited by Rhea : 2014.02.28 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Japanese is hard lol
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.25, 02:45 PM   #60
TurtleFu

Ah weird, that explains a lot though. The lalalala pipipi at the end is a sort of characteristic tune that Michishige sings, wondering why that was there.
But I'm kind of annoyed Oomori is a Sayumi fan. I kind of consider her the worst member of Morning Musume ever. I guess I was wrong about Oomori being a sustained idol parody and she's actually a hardcore idol fan. I mean, it's sort of a critical look at being an idol too.

Thanks for the help, you are obviously much better at this than me! I can see the connection between what I find and what you find, it's like I have the puzzle pieces but you just make them "click", once I've seen your translations everything is much more understandable.

I'm a bit disappointed that that is the actual meaning of the song.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2014.02.25 at 02:58 PM.