Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2007.06.28, 04:56 PM   #161
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I agree that once GTA gets old, that part of the franchise is pretty much dead. Once you get sick of it, it's hard to go back to... you just wait until the next one, however it doesn't get old for me until at least 30-40 hours in which is a great amount of play time, I think. As for the controls... yeah, they were pretty second rate. If it were a racing game, it would suck, if it were a shooting game it would suck, but combine it all together in such a vast sandbox with a decent story and voice acting and it feels perfect. Considering this is the first time they've did a major overhaul of the engine since GTAIII I expect a perfectly tuned driving and shooting engine.
Old 2007.06.28, 07:49 PM   #162
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

GTA 4 looks amazing. The Brooklyn Bridge? What?!

I hope you can go to other places outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn, like Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx, Newark / Jersey City, etc. You better be able to ride the subway too. Also, bury bodies in the marshlands or landfills in Jersey, because that's where I go to... Ooops never mind.
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.28, 08:18 PM   #163
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Rockstar has recreated four of the five boroughs in New York City, as well as parts of New Jersey. Broker is the GTA IV equivalent of Brooklyn, Manhattan is now called Algonquin, Queens is now Dukes, the Bronx is Bohan, and New Jersey is Alderney
Old 2007.07.03, 02:46 PM   #164
Inaudible-Whisper

First Rock Band video. Awesome. This game shall take over my life.
Old 2007.07.03, 03:45 PM   #165
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

Poor Staten Island. There is no bridge from Algonquin so I can't drive my Toyola there, or take a subway from Algonquin, and that's all that counts for me. Of course there are bridges from Broker and Alderney but that doesn't count. And really, who wants to take the ferry? Rockstar won't upset too many people for leaving Staten Island out of Liberty City. I can't wait to go sightseeing. Oh wait, I don't have a PS3.
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.03, 03:55 PM   #166
Inaudible-Whisper

Get a 360 then. 360's win anyway, and it has exclusive content the PS3 will never see (And I'm talking about full game content, not just new clothes and stuff). It cost Microsoft $50million. An investment I can't see them making any profit from... but meh, it's not like they can't afford it.
Old 2007.07.03, 06:14 PM   #167
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

*continuing the GTA:SA rant*
OK. Now I've been part of this "San Andreas went the Godfather roleplay" game from http://www.godfather-rp.com/ for awhile.
I'm not a roleplayer at all. This seems to be a roleplay to the extent that they usually link to definitions of roleplay at wikipedia and other dictionaries; with avoidance of metagaming as one of the key ideals.
You start off with a nobody, and have to work your way up. But it's not like that's really the point, the point is just to try to lead the life of your character, and not go deathmatching and so on (which is not allowed). To even enter the game you have to read through pages of background history, rules etc and then take an exam about this which you have to score 100% at. The world has some clans (Cosa nostra, Yakuza, some latin gang and so on) and also a police force (very corrupt), and lots of other jobs like taxi drivers, car rentals, lawyers (people hire lawyers to try to get out of prison..) and so on. Admins run around and if they see you do/act out of roleplay they give you a warning, with five warnings you're banned. You have to obey the rules in order to not get stopped by the police, like driving on the right side, keep the speed limits and all that stuff.

In theory, this is all so cool. But in practice, I don't know. Everyone starts off without even a f*cken driver's license. ("In a game called Grand theft AUTO?", I ask myself). Turns out driver licenses are given out after you take part of a driving runthrough at a small village out in the middle of nowhere. So the first task is to even get there, the next one to even have the timing to catch one of the runthroughs. Which means the police force (all this played by people) show how to drive, what to do when being pulled over by the cops and so on). Of course I couldn't find a taxi or any ride for my first visit to that place, so I ended up late, after RUNNING the whole damn way. And the guy handing out the licenses after the run through decided to not give me a license cause he thought my name was not roleplayish enough (What's wrong with MUGG???). Before I actually got to object (I tried some RP comeback line "Please don't mock my name. My mother was high as a building when she named me", my character died, OUT OF STARVATION. Damn ,there went some hours. So I had to re-register, take that test again, what a truly annoying procedure. So then, back into the game, I run across two guys going around in a car, they told me they sell licenses (driving, flying, motorcycles, and so on). Illegaly, of course. I thought, maybe I'm actually gonna buy a car + bike license, it seemed like a good tradeoff after what I went through. They drove me to the bank so I could get a huge money sum out, then I got back into the backseat of their car, and they drove off. Now they started being very twitchy about how much I should pay for those licenses, and to whom. I should have understood something's not right at least as early as here. Anyway, I ended up paying 10 grand to the one guy and then 5 grand to the other. With me still being a noob at this mod, they totally had me of course, and it's likely this isn't a first time for those guys. They never gave me any licenses, it just looked that way to me first, but it's just a UI hickup that allowed them to do that. I got pissed off of course realising that, so I started saying something like. "OK, now you're getting into trouble." "My boss will be coming shortly", I lied. The driver instantly stopped, the other guy jumped out, drawing his pistol and popped two bullets in my head and end of story. :-\
Not sure I'll play this anymore, but it sure is a huge step in the right direction from the "A->B" original single gameplay.
If I do play some more, those guys are officially part of my hitlist. Money on their heads!
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.04, 10:06 AM   #168
redstuff

redstuff pleased at least somebody

Are there any notable games that were only released in Europe? I´m not going to actively look for game shops while I´m here, but in case I do find any I´d like to know what euro exclusive stuff is out there. I´ve got several systems but I can really only play imports on my GBA, PS1, and Dreamcast.

...wasn´t vib ribbon released in Europe? I always wanted to play that...
redstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.04, 01:52 PM   #169
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

vib ribbon isn't that great. It's so hard, that I can't enjoy it anymore. And the patterns are very random. Don't expect that it really analyzes the songs...
And I don't think that you will find any europe only game. I don't know any...

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.04, 02:18 PM   #170
Inaudible-Whisper

Vib Ribbon was quite fun playing the 6 songs the game came with, but yeah, the patterns created with a CD were very hit and miss and the difficulty was all over the place. Completely unbalanced. Still fun though. You won't find it anywhere other than eBay though.