Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2012.02.28, 01:03 PM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default J-drama

Does anyone watch j-drama and feel like making some recommendations? To get Japanese listening practice I've decided to start watching raw j-drama episodes... but not sure where to start. Anyone watching or watched anything good?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.28, 04:59 PM   #2
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

One Litre of Tears made my brother and me cry together. Kinda awkward, but we both accepted it. I would rate the acting at about 4/10, but it was rather good at accomplishing its goal. I recommend watching it, although it's the only one I've ever seen, so I don't know how it stacks up.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.28, 05:44 PM   #3
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You could watch Carnation

Other than that, I don't know, never watched (nor intend to watch) any full series. Unless that crappy miniseries (MPD Psycho) by Takashi Miike counts.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.02.28 at 05:47 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.28, 10:35 PM   #4
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Or Atami thingy Investigators. The Tengoku e Youkoso one with Chiaki.

I watched a few back in the day. Great Teacher Onizuka. And one about some girl who gets bullied and it's nine episodes of her being endlessly bullied. And a silly one called Gal Circle of some circle of ghetto Tokyo girls and a cowboy, and they do para para in the ending. Oh, and there's Densha Otoko, about an otaku who falls in love with a woman on 2ch and it's nine episodes of him trying to stammer out his feelings while his internet friends root for him. It was quite charming, actually. I haven't found a The Sopranos or Mad Men of J-Drama (aren't many of them based on manga? MPD Psycho rings a bell. edit: yes it is) or anything but they can be fun, light entertainment.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.28, 11:14 PM   #5
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Carnation is good show but most part is spoken in Kishiwada (a south side city of Osaka) dialect.

Another series recently became a talk of was probably Kaseifu no Mita (Mita, the Housekeeper).
Though I can't recommend it because didn't watch it.

Last edited by EmilScherbe : 2012.02.28 at 11:40 PM.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 01:42 PM   #6
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe View Post
Carnation is good show but most part is spoken in Kishiwada (a south side city of Osaka) dialect.

Another series recently became a talk of was probably Kaseifu no Mita (Mita, the Housekeeper).
Though I can't recommend it because didn't watch it.
Yeah, exactly I don't think I could parse all the dialect. Plus, it's at like 70 episodes by now?! Toooo much of a commitment.

I definitely want to watch things that are culturally relevant so thanks for the tip

Also thank you to everyone making recommendations and sharing amusing drama-related stories. I like the idea of fluffie and his brother manfully weeping together. If anyone has any more keep em coming! Of course actually finding these is the real test...
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 01:52 PM   #7
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I just got through Quartet a short series about undercover cops busting a drug empire that exploits Chinese. Fun stuff, a late-late-night thing with pretty harsh violence and lots of lip gloss and high heels and tattoos and cell phones.

I've gotten through the first season of the mega-hit Ryomaden with Fukuyama Masaharu as Sakamoto Ryoma. 3 more seasons to go, and the only thing keeping me watching is the wild revisionist history and the promise of Yu Aoi as a geisha in Season 3.

Just saw the short series Shirasu Jiro, about the "man who defied MacArthur." Stars Iseya Yusuke and my favorite Japanese actress, Nakatani Miki.

I can recommend Hotelier and Rondo as well.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.29, 11:30 PM   #8
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Yeah, exactly I don't think I could parse all the dialect. Plus, it's at like 70 episodes by now?! Toooo much of a commitment.
Latest episode is 125 actually.
Ono Machiko acted protagonist's life from 14(1927) to 60s(1970s).
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 05:01 AM   #9
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Only thing I've seen recently was Orange Days and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Also Hana Yori Dango! As corny and exaggerated as a lot of these dramas are, there's a strange appeal to them that I can't quite explain.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.01, 06:06 AM   #10
rainmountain

rainmountain pleased at least somebody

Some that i like in the recent years...

Detective:
SPEC
Boss 1 & 2
Atami no Sousakan

Drama:
Last Friends
Jin 1 & 2