Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.03.25, 11:59 AM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default Ringo-han fan club mailings updates & translations

Here's where I'll put any updates, as well as translations of interviews, found in the monthly emails sent out to members of the "Ringohan" fan club.

October 2006
----------------------------------------------

November 2006

December 2006
----------------------------------------------March 2007
Translated by Brad and found on his blog

Track 1. “Gamble”
—Up until now, this was only available on CD as a live version (in Zecchoushuu) so this is the first time for this track to be recorded in a studio. It keeps the “Gyakutai Glycogen” arrangement while giving it a grander scale. It seems to make its depth stand out more.
R: Thank you. It’s hard to write that kind of track. The constant self-criticism becomes its own sort of muse. Saito Neko wrote the orchestral parts at first, so by the end it became a pretty proper self-demo.

Track 2. “Kuki”
—This number is the poster child for Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana. The original arrangement made you feel a very strong will while the leisurely tempo of this version gives you a clearer view of what’s behind that will.
R: Thank you. It’s a much rawer notion of motherhood. This song is also quite difficult to write. Neko did the string arrangements so it sounds like some sort of classic standard.

Track 3. “Sakuran (TERRA ver.)”
—A light song. Makes you want to wave your hands around and dance. The part where you sing “I’m crazy for” really gives the impression of madness. Personally, this track reminds me of the instrumental ending of “Lupin III.”
R: Thank you. Bingo!! It reminds me of Lupin too. When I write a ballad, my love for Lupin and “Key Hunter” comes into view. I have to fix my camouflage.

Track 4. “Hatsukoi Shoujo”
—When I hear the intro, I want to add some narration like “The eternal history of China” or something. I get this image of a celestial maiden, garbed in an angel’s raiment, floating in the sky.
R: Thank you. The image you get from this song surprises me. This is a plain, straightforward message from me, which is sort of rare. Love is always a beautiful thing.

Track 5. “Papaya Mango”
—The horns in the intro sound sort of like CNN’s “Showbiz Today,” which gives an idea of inclusion. I expect you to come out singing like Big Mama but you show us an unexpected delicacy and subtlety.
R: Thank you. I appreciate your kind comments. It’s just what I wanted to do…that’s how it ended up like that. I hope it matches with the mood that the movie creates.

Track 6. “Ishiki”
—It really brings to mind the scenes from Baishou Ecstasy.
R: Thank you. Right? Many people first heard my works starting with “Ishiki”, “Meisai” and “Kuki”, so I wanted to answer their requests and re-record them.

Track 7. “Yokoshitsu”
—A merger of the Shosou Strip version and “La salle de bain”. Inoue Uni-san’s technique is really obvious here. I heard you only re-recorded the vocals?
R: Thank you. Yes, we re-recorded the lyrics only. We wanted to make a world where Japanese and other languages mix, with Neko’s arrangements as the ingredient that brings that world to you. This is one of my favorite tracks.

Track 8. “Meisai”
—Neko’s violin and your vocals seem to be eloping together. His performance at the end is fierce.
R: Thank you. This is my theme song for went I want to feel like leaving it all behind with Neko. I always feel like running away so even when I get old I’ll sing this song.

Track 9. “Poltergeist”
—Even without planning to, the lyrics seem to match with Sakuran. It’s like it’s about the relationship between Tsuchiya and Narumiya’s characters. Thinking about that, at one time you said that this song would be perfect for singing at a wedding, but actually maybe it’s not very proper.
R: Thank you. I did think I wanted to sing this at a wedding. But since it’s sort of a pretentious kind of song, I didn’t want people to get critical of it, so I’m trying to avoid singing it at a wedding. But I still would like to.

Track 10. “Karisome Otome (TAMEIKESANNOH ver.)”
—The violins start crying right from the beginning. The accordion and bass brings back memories of secrets in forbidden places.
R. Thank you. It doesn’t have to be a forbidden place. A room in an apartment building or an inn is fine. I don’t really know any, but if I met my type of person, I’d want them to listen to this.

Track 11. “Oiran”
—Ukigumo wrote the music for this. The pounding and flowing strings are oddly in harmony and it has a very stylish sound. Tokyo Jihen played this at the COUNTDOWN JAPAN festival and it seems to fit perfectly with an indoor festival.
R: Thank you. This is a snapshot of my love for Ukigumo. This is another one of those rare, straightforward messages from me. I’m jealous of how complete Ukigumo is when he does his adaptations.

Track 12: “Yume no Ato”
—If my memory serves me, this song is used during the best part of Sakuran. Even though the arrangement is different from the Kyouiku version, it’s still traveling on the exact same vector. The theme is universal.
R: Thank you. I’m trying to change myself so that I will never be able to write this kind of song ever again. I had a dream that my child had been drafted. I don’t want to feel that kind of restlessness.

Track 13. “Kono yo no Kagiri”
—Thinking of the theme of the song and the beautiful harmony, there could be no other duet partner aside from your brother, Junpei. The euphoric feeling is perfect for a movie’s ending theme. Viewers will feel completely satisfied at the end.
R: Thank you. Hearing you say that makes me very happy. This is the happiest song ever. It makes me want to write my own “Tamanegi no Happy Song” (from Utaite Myouri).
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 08:30 PM   #2
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Thanks for these (and future) translations, Frecklegirl!! <3

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Q: Now, please give a few words full of hope to all of the members.
They say if bad things keep happening, then that will be a signal for you to await nothing but good things to come. I wonder if it’s true, I don’t know but I believe in it now. Good luck.
Ah, this makes me worry if something bad happened to Ringo last fall... T_T
Old 2007.04.04, 02:46 AM   #3
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

there has been a new fan club mail, along with about 100 images taken during Countdown Japan, including shots of Hata before he saved his head. They also have a video of Kameda seeing Hata for the first time with a shaved head.

I wonder if his shaved head has anything to do with maybe a potential role in a Kabuki production?
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 04:39 AM   #4
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
including shots of Hata before he saved his head.
so his head was in danger?!
I knew it!!!
XDDDDDDDDDD

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 04:44 AM   #5
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

Can you upload those pics somewhere, kuro_neko?

And frecklegirl THANK YOU x1000 for these translations, and all the others.
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 05:29 AM   #6
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yes, please upload the pics kuro_neko (and perhaps the video as well?)!

And thank you, frecklegirl, for all your translations. Your contributions to this community are invaluable.
Old 2007.04.04, 06:24 AM   #7
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Freckle, as always, thanks a lot!!

kuro-chan, can you upload these pics? They must be hilarious X3!!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 10:40 AM   #8
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It's time to thank you /o/
I think I never said how I have to thank to you two for all that you already made for us :3
thank you!

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.05, 08:22 PM   #9
Roberto Herrera-Art

Roberto Herrera-Art pleased at least somebody

hehehe well I cannot upload pic here, but i like the vids, the nezt link is my channel of youtube, I have some Shiina Ringo's vid:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ManzanitaAmarga
Roberto Herrera-Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 02:53 AM   #10
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Found a March 2007 interview Brad had translated where SR went through each of the HF songs and talked about them, so that's up there in the first post now. Enjoy!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote