Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.05.27, 08:54 PM   #1
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer
Default What is the most you would pay, for a music release you would otherwise never hear?

I'm talking about material nobody is uploading anywhere. You can't hear what it sounds like, without making a leap-of-faith purchase. Presumably it's from an artist you already know you like (because otherwise, why would you pay much for it?).

You could be referring to how much you'd pay for a deluxe package with bonus materials (DVDs, etc.) surrounding a core album. You could be talking about a compilation or anthology you're still willing to buy even though most of the material has been released before, but the release still contains intriguing material you've never heard before.

I thought about setting this up as a poll, but some of us probably have different-enough lifestyles to where there's always somebody the poll fails to represent. I'm more interested in the context or motivations surrounding the monetary amounts.

1.) Which album/edition is #1 on your wishlist of published material you haven't already heard, but would pay serious money to hear? I don't want to hear about things which need to be published but never have been.

2.) What's the furthest you have gone for material you'd never heard before, and which release/edition was it? Did it turn out to be everything you had hoped for?

3.) What is it about the releases(s) you're referring to, which demands the amount of money you're talking about? Why would you or anyone else have to pay so much - or want to?
3a.) Do/did you intend for these releases to fill a discography of yours, or are you willing to neglect other releases from the same artist?

4.) What's the most time you've spent searching for an elusive release? (feel free to differentiate between the time you've spent searching for downloads versus the time you've spent searching for the physical release, or go ahead and blur those together)

5.) Is there anything you want to hear and you've seen opportunities to buy it, but the material demands too ridiculous a price for you to justify? Is that only the specific release, or is that true about the artist in general?

6.) Would you spend more on the unknown (material you've never heard), than upgrading the kind of copy you've got for material you've already heard? If you're more serious about upgrading, what editions/formats are you intent on going to and from, and for which material?

I don't want you quoting USD unless that's relevant to you or the material in some way. Go ahead and quote your native currency, or the currency of the release. Either way, try to make it clear which currency you're talking about.

Report back to here in the future if any of these things change for you - especially if you make any progress in your quest.
Old 2012.05.27, 10:39 PM   #2
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Jun Togawa.

I have almost everything.

VHS, LP, DVDs, Boxsets, CD. Rare and non-rare.

All has been quite expensive/lots of it not available anywhere. For example, her album with Joe Jackson "Shijin no Ie" was a hefty US $50 for something I hadn't heard before. I have bought all her CDs that are only released at live shows too, the very first one "Togawa Birthday" was $45 AU for ONE SONG that wasn't all that well recorded.

$275 for Teichiku Works wasn't exactly cheap either, though it feels worthwhile when you see the prices it is at now. Although I already had about 50% of that boxset, it had a lot of live stuff that wasn't available elsewhere.

I own all 3 greatest hits, the Yapoos' greatest hits. Both Guernica boxsets and those same releases on vinyl. I even hunted down the collab she did with Tricomi.

I'm also willing to pay $$$$$$$$ for a few other things of hers that I haven't been able to locate, for example the Yapoos' 7" singles.

Let's not forget the related artists too, that I have bought on a whim. Her sister, Kyoko Togawa's CD of B.G. was 40 UK pounds and I hadn't heard anything from it sans the single. I recently bought O'Can too.

Also looking for a Guernica DVD that I have no idea where to even start hunting for.

Sorry I haven't answered back to your numbered question system, but you get the idea.

It would be nice if people had this stuff to just even listen to, it's not all about the collection either, just wanting to actually hear rarer stuff is what it's all about. Then of course there's the satisfaction of being an owner of this rare material.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.05.27 at 10:43 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.05.30, 04:06 AM   #3
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Work of Midori Goto. I can't find any recordings of her playing the violin other than her 1991 concert.

Billions for a recording of Ringo's farts.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.05.30, 08:29 AM   #4
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
Billions for a recording of Ringo's farts.
You have a recording of Ukigumo's farts in BB Queen. Is that close enough?
Old 2012.05.31, 02:07 AM   #5
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
You have a recording of Ukigumo's farts in BB Queen. Is that close enough?

We need to go...

DEEPER!!!
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.08, 10:00 AM   #6
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

*slowly retreats after dropping the link*
http://www.tonkoopman.nl/shop/1266422448

Yeah... I so want that though
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.15, 07:36 PM   #7
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

For single albums rather than box sets, I would say $30 to $50, especially when buying Japanese albums, premium pricing becomes somewhat a standard...

For most out-of-print English albums, $20 are enough to make me frown.

For most of the classic albums, I simply download them instead of pay for them, since they have absolutely no re-sale value and used CD stores take them back at 25 cents each (and they sell jewel cases for 50 cents each!)

Collecting CDs is a vain hobby (vinyls may worth investing) anyway. I should really waste money on something else!
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.18, 03:53 AM   #8
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

I like own physical release for the mere fact that I don't own a card that can play from an iPod yet. I think the most I'd be willing to do for mere singles and albums is max $30. DVDs I'll do $60 max. I'll buy a Taiwanese release of a DVD in a minute, they normally go for 2/3rds of the japanese import price.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote