Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.05.29, 06:50 PM   #61
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Cusp of Eternity

Well, regardless of metalhead opinions (NO Gr0wlz, gay!), I think this new track sounds pretty neat... Keen to hear what else Opeth have on their new album. Just will have to avoid the shoutbox when it hits haha.

Not so sure on the artwork, it's a bit Creedy/90s.... (I prefer the stand in Steven Wilson artwork on the youtube video tbh)

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.05.29 at 06:53 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.31, 08:04 PM   #62
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Reviews of Boris's NOISE are pouring in. Seems like we're in for an awesome album. Can't wait to hear it !

http://thesludgelord.blogspot.com/20...um-review.html

http://blackinsectlaughter.blogspot....ris-noise.html
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.01, 07:30 PM   #63
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Have been spinning Maron Hamada's Mayakashi no Blues maxi single a lot the last couple of days. Some impressions:

First up, this could have been sold as an EP, it clocks in at over 20 mins and feels like an EP when you listen to it. Wouldn't it be nice if all MAXI singles actually meant MAXI like this?

The songs on this disc obviously have had a LOT of work put into them. They are no doubt Hamada's strongest and most elaborate compositions yet. The production is second to none, and her voice is focussed, controlled and definitely the best she's sounded to date. Her backing band play with a restraint that really brings Hamada to the spotlight, and listening (particularly in a set of good headphones) feels like you're at a private gig.

The songs themselves are great, and blend a bit more rock than usual into the preceedings, hell, there's even a brilliant guitar solo in here. I don't think Hamada intended to break new ground with this single, but to refine and perfect her already focussed, no messing around approach to jazz/cabaret- and she achieved this wonderfully.

It's well worth the addition to the collection and I hope this is indicative of what to expect on LP2. She obviously has 100% creative control and has put a lot of love in here- releasing it so independently is indicative of this. While this is great- I hope her website eventually allows for international shipping.

Anyway- great stuff, I have no reservations giving it a solid 8.5/10.
Old 2014.06.02, 09:54 AM   #64
FadedSun

Fantastic idea incorporating some rock into her music. Really enjoyed it. Haven't disliked a single thing she's put out yet.
Old 2014.06.04, 11:11 AM   #65
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

New 宇宙人 (band who wrote Flower of Evil soundtrack) album, August 6th

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%9C%AA%E5...t_mus_dp_dpt_1

New Gusya Ningen on August 6th, price implies it's either a single or 3 song ep

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%AC%BC%E3...BA%BA%E9%96%93

Also, second song パラシュートに願いを込めて on the new 浜田マロン single is one of the best songs this year!

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.06.04 at 01:18 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.09, 06:03 AM   #66
FadedSun

NPR is streaming Boris's Noise.

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/08/318582...en-boris-noise
Old 2014.06.09, 05:50 PM   #67
deadgrandma

Album is a beast. So much to take in, will have to listen a few times but I'm 95% positive it will be best metal/heavy rock album of 2014. Definitely the best Boris album since Smile.

Waiting to hear it in high quality now.
Old 2014.06.09, 07:08 PM   #68
FadedSun

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Album is a beast. So much to take in, will have to listen a few times but I'm 95% positive it will be best metal/heavy rock album of 2014. Definitely the best Boris album since Smile.

Waiting to hear it in high quality now.
Yep. Same. I listened to about half of it before I decided to wait until my vinyl comes in. I want the full experience. That NPR stream quality is poor.

Yeah - everything they've put out since Smile has been solid, but there was something missing to push it over to greatness. What I've heard of Noise so far has been amazing.
Old 2014.06.10, 12:32 AM   #69
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Ai Otsuka is coming out with her first solo album is six years on July 16th.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.13, 07:06 AM   #70
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Yep. Same. I listened to about half of it before I decided to wait until my vinyl comes in. I want the full experience. That NPR stream quality is poor.

Yeah - everything they've put out since Smile has been solid, but there was something missing to push it over to greatness. What I've heard of Noise so far has been amazing.
I've caved and given into the low quality stream a fair few more times.

Not only is it the best Boris album since Smile, it could very well be the best Boris "rock" album, period. There are riffs on this thing that rival the peak of Flood. It has Wata's best vocal performance yet. It is all encompassing and makes you really pay attention to it.

Press play. Be crushed under its awesome weight. Repeat.

There is so much to absolutely love here. I imagine this will become a fan favourite. I see a lot of disillusioned older fans coming out of the woodwork and praising the hell out of it on last.fm. This is massive.

And we haven't even heard it full quality yet.

Be excited~!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.06.13 at 07:09 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote