Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.10.06, 05:32 PM   #11
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yeah, I was thinking that if I dedicated a full 90+ minute episode to Ringo that I'd be playing stuff like Crazy Days, Crazy Feeling and stuff she wrote for other people just to avoid being too overwhelming. Her voice is absolutely an acquired taste and 90 minutes of it is a lot.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.10.06, 05:34 PM   #12
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by K__ View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that if I dedicated a full 90+ minute episode to Ringo that I'd be playing stuff like Crazy Days, Crazy Feeling and stuff she wrote for other people just to avoid being too overwhelming. Her voice is absolutely an acquired taste and 90 minutes of it is a lot.
Can you listen to the show via an archive? I'm interested to hear how this turns out/would be into listening in general!
Old 2015.10.06, 05:35 PM   #13
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You really think you can sell Ringo on drivel like Crazy Days, Crazy Feeling??? That's gotta be one of the worst things she's done
Old 2015.10.06, 05:39 PM   #14
tsukigimehime

While a fan of the song, it may be a hard sell because of the guy's voice (I am very very into the whole sound though). Amai yamai and Kira Kira bushi?
Old 2015.10.06, 05:41 PM   #15
K__

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
Can you listen to the show via an archive? I'm interested to hear how this turns out/would be into listening in general!
No archiving, sadly. There's licensing issues or something. We're Japan Alternative Sessions on Anime Radio UK though. Didn't really want to look like I was self-promoting so I didn't provide a link. Also there goes my anonymity but whatever.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
You really think you can sell Ringo on drivel like Crazy Days, Crazy Feeling??? That's gotta be one of the worst things she's done
I will fight you

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
While a fan of the song, it may be a hard sell because of the guy's voice (I am very very into the whole sound though). Amai yamai and Kira Kira bushi?
I'm not sure if KILLER PUSSY falls into the whole ethos of the show so I might have to take a rain check on that one.
Old 2015.10.06, 05:46 PM   #16
tsukigimehime

Nothing is more alternative than Ringo attempting to channel some kind of inner Beyoncé with a man in alien sunglasses, hakama, and a perm!! Nothing!!!

ETA I'll follow the twitter and sign up for updates, because time zone differences are hard.
Old 2015.10.06, 05:54 PM   #17
K__

You're in Japan, right? Sadly we're on at 4am over there, so it's probably a little out of the way if your sleeping pattern is in any kind of order.
Old 2015.10.06, 05:59 PM   #18
tsukigimehime

It seems like your show is over the weekend, and you'll be happy (?) to know that my wildly disordered sleeping schedule will definitely have me up long enough to listen
Old 2015.10.06, 06:49 PM   #19
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think you should give her the full hour. If anyone deserves it, Ringo does.

My selections, in no particular order (I've included enough for an hour):
  1. Akane Sasu Kiro Terasaredo (from MM)
  2. Koufukuron Etsuraku-hen (live from GX)
  3. Tsumi to Batsu (live from EM)
  4. Honnou (from SS)
  5. Kimi no Hitomi ni Koishiteru (from WtH)
  6. Kareha/Torikoshi Kurou (live from BX)
  7. Poltergeist (live from BX)
  8. Stem (live from Expo 08)
  9. Ryuukou (from SG)
  10. Yokyou (from SG)
  11. Hiyori Hime (from GK)
  12. Shuraba (from Adult)
  13. Kinjirareta Asobi (live from Expo 14)
  14. JL005-bin de (from HIT)
  15. Odaiji ni (from KSK)
Old 2015.10.06, 07:56 PM   #20
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Some good selections there, zeroryouko, but I dunno if going the full hour is the best idea for introducing new fans. It might be a little much. I think they've gotta be as accessible as possible.

You have to include at least 2-3 covers because people will have a direct basis of comparison with songs they already like and that will help them decide if they want to check her out or not. I'd start out with those in the program.

Autumn Leaves/Kareha from UM is a great place to start since she's singing in French and English so it directly shows some of her versatility. I'd also go with Kurui Orufe from either Utaite Myouri or Electric Mole, whichever you think would go best. I'd end with Get It Up For Love from Tokyo Jihen as it shows a little of Jihen and is kind of a fun song on its own.

From there I'd go to her stuff singing in Japanese. I'd just go with your instincts and your favorites to highlight what she's all about. My personal choices would be Izonshou, maybe some picks from Sanmon Gossip, maybe one or two Jihen songs.

You just want to make sure you build to something really good. I know you said that you didn't want to play it but I'd end with the KSK version of Souretsu personally. Everyone I've played that song for has had a haunted look on their face by the time it's over. It's definitely one of the best showcases of her works that will just floor you with how emotionally charged and chilling it is at the end. That organ works every time.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. People on here have made some good suggestions but I'd go:
1) Autumn Leaves
2) Kurui Orufe
3) Get It Up For Love
4) OSCA
5) Izonshou
6) Tsugou no ii Karada
7) Assassin's Assassin w/ Soil & "Pimp" Sessions
7) ZCS Yattsuke Shigoto
8) Kurumaya-san from Dynamite Out
9) Souretsu from KSK