Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.06.12, 01:51 PM   #11
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

She said that they're getting there, though!! But JAMOSA already has a very voluptuous body, anyway. @_@

(And, I meant 'both'!! XD)
Old 2007.06.12, 05:31 PM   #12
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

How do you define RnB anyway? Is the UK Craig David/Artful Doger thing also considered RnB? I like that kind of RnB as opposed to the US Destiny's Child type. In fact, I hate how those RnB/Rap people dress, I find it very vulgar.
Old 2007.06.14, 08:00 PM   #13
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I used to think Namie Amuro was really good (and I do still like some of her old stuff), but now I just think of her as another singer who chose the wrong musical path.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.15, 01:08 AM   #14
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

Since some of you seem to know a bit about Japanese RnB.... Are the artists interviewed in this show actually "some of the biggest RnB stars in Japan" as the show claimed when I read about it? Cause every time they say things like that about foreign music, it always smells kind of fishy to me I mean, why would the SUPERSTARS of Japanese RnB want to be on a small Swedish show?
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.15, 01:34 AM   #15
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm not that into R&B but the simple answer is probably: they are not the biggest names at all.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.15, 06:44 AM   #16
Ananda

Ananda pleased at least somebody

Very few japanese RnB artists manage to get some success. Besides, 90% of Japanese RnB production is cheap a copy of American RnB, and that's not exactly the kind of music japanese people are really into.

In fact, most things that have been labelled as RnB weren't. I even remember BoA being called a RnB singer.
Old 2007.06.18, 03:51 PM   #17
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
How do you define RnB anyway? Is the UK Craig David/Artful Doger thing also considered RnB? I like that kind of RnB as opposed to the US Destiny's Child type. In fact, I hate how those RnB/Rap people dress, I find it very vulgar.
I don't know how to define R&B, but I also don't like the revealing outfits. @_@ I was so disappointed when LISA left m-flo and started dressing like that. T_T

Originally Posted by Linnéa View Post
Since some of you seem to know a bit about Japanese RnB.... Are the artists interviewed in this show actually "some of the biggest RnB stars in Japan" as the show claimed when I read about it? Cause every time they say things like that about foreign music, it always smells kind of fishy to me I mean, why would the SUPERSTARS of Japanese RnB want to be on a small Swedish show?
Hmm, I think Foxy MissQ is pretty popular, even though I haven't heard any of their music. I think JAMOSA is pretty big in the 'real' R&B scene, and I've also heard of Miho Brown here and there and have only heard of Reggae Disco Rockers' remixes. I forgot who else showed up in the show. o_o

Originally Posted by Ananda View Post
In fact, most things that have been labelled as RnB weren't. I even remember BoA being called a RnB singer.
Yeah, I assumed Foxi MissQ was pop. o_o
Old 2007.06.19, 06:09 AM   #18
Ananda

Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
Hmm, I think Foxy MissQ is pretty popular, even though I haven't heard any of their music.
I doubt so. I assume 90% of the Japanese never heard of them They never did any TV show and they never reached 10.000 sold singles with any of their singles (it's usually around 5K/6K).
Old 2007.06.19, 06:31 AM   #19
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

It's no surprise. Because, whenever the topic is about Japan no one really knows anything, and moreso when the topic concerns music and Japan. The tv programming editors here just blindly say "okay we'll take it", because they really have no clue, and obviously very often don't the culture tv shows have any idea eiter. Which means that guys going with a camera to Japan can film a rock for one week and then sell it here saying "this is it in Japan".
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.19, 08:15 AM   #20
Ananda

Yeah, and the gap between the way Japanese music market is seen in the western countries and what it is really is huge. What sells the most and has been the most successful for several years now in Japan, the boys band from Johnny's, aren't what most japanese-music-listening western people usually listen.

In fact that's no problem, but it really pisses me off when people come and say "Yeah Hitomi Shimatani/sifow (or other craps that don't do well in japan) is Japanese music, that's what Japanese people listen to".