Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.03.16, 08:52 AM   #21
old.boy

old.boy pleased at least somebody

From what I've read, everyone seems kind of "Meh," about it.
old.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.16, 09:36 AM   #22
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by old.boy View Post
You know, I'm kind of confused that there's so much mutual distaste for this album.

It was actually my favorite of all of theirs. I thought the kind of grungy-rock really suited the band at that period. It really grew on me the second I heard it. I kind of liked the fuzz and the feedback and static--hell, I would even go far enough as to say it was musical!

I feel like the chemistry of the band during the recording of this album was definitely perfect. I guess you could argue that the later albums were better put together, but there's something about this album that stands out that none of the other albums could try to touch.

My 2¢.
I love you old.boy.
You're my soulmate.
There will never be a better TJ than the Kyouiku/DO era one, and the later albums have proven that to us*.

*us: just me and you and a handful of other people who share the same sentiments about the band.
Old 2008.03.16, 09:54 AM   #23
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

No way, man. This album fucking rocks. It's so noisy and energetic and lively and high-wire and even when it gets to the point of cacophony, the melodies are so straight-forward and just beautiful. Gunjou Biyori, Nyuusui Negai, Sounan, Crawl, Genjitsu wo Warau, Service, Omatsuri Sawagi and Bokoku Joushou are some of the best Tokyo Jihen songs in terms of writing, playing and singing.

I've been so conflicted with this Education vs. Adult debate that my head's rattling. I think I lean slightly more towards Adult because I loves me the jazz, but Education (to me) is just as jazzy as Adult with more filters and obfuscations. The writer over at Musicwhore has described Ringo as an incredible jazz writer on more than on occasion and I really couldn't agree more.

I need to go back to sitting on the fence.
(But Variety still sucks mondo big-time.)
Old 2008.03.16, 10:53 AM   #24
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I love you old.boy.
You're my soulmate.
There will never be a better TJ than the Kyouiku/DO era one, and the later albums have proven that to us*.

*us: just me and you and a handful of other people who share the same sentiments about the band.
seconded /o/

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.16, 01:12 PM   #25
old.boy

@justriiingo
Haha.

I pretty much feel the same. Adult is more varied and jazzy, it's true, but I feel like (I guess I'll just say) Education had so much more of a punk-friendly attitude towards it that I love. Plus, the Dynamite Out DVD is great in every single way. (Plus, who besides me can get over the Ringo and Hirama duets?)

@Cosmo!
Like I said above, I agree with what you say. Her writing is pretty amazing (to me anyways) on both albums, but I prefer the abrasive nature of Education to the...maturity of Adult (lol, no one kill me for the shitty pun.)

And yeah, I definitely agree--Variety didn't sit too well with me. It's good, just not very listen-able to me.

@Lena-chan
:]

Last edited by old.boy : 2008.03.16 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Adding some Hirama love.
Old 2008.03.16, 01:42 PM   #26
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Cosmo! View Post
This album fucking rocks.
Yeah, that. Unfortunately rocking is so 2004
Old 2008.03.16, 06:11 PM   #27
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Does this make 2007 the year of Suck?
Old 2008.03.17, 02:26 AM   #28
old.boy

Lol, admittedly, I haven't been too smitten with any albums that came out last year.

I liked Japanese Manners, though. Better than Adult. ._.
Old 2008.03.17, 06:31 AM   #29
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

No, no, no. You misunderstand. The only meh reactions to the album are towards the poor recording and mixing done on the album. If they had taken more time to sort out the tin-can sound, it would be my second favorite SR album behind Muzai. I know they were going for a Number Girl type of sound, but somebody in the sound department doesn't appear too experienced with that kind of sound.

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Actually, rock was so 1990s. You only like 90s rock if you like Ye Olde Tokyo Jihen.

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I love you old.boy.
You're my soulmate.
*ignores JR's cheating ways*

I can save Tokyo Jihen and Shiina Ringo with the power of my Stratocaster. Gone shall be the twangy twink-a-tink and in shall be the dream pop/swing.
Old 2008.03.17, 10:29 AM   #30
old.boy

@Maou
Oh, haha. I see now. I could understand why someone wouldn't like that aspect of it, but I feel like this album is the best they've ever shown.

And hooray! Another Fender aficionado!

Last edited by old.boy : 2008.03.17 at 10:35 AM.