Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.04.05, 09:48 PM   #81
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

if you guys are going to hate on EXPO, at least do it in the right thread, sheesh.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.06, 02:06 AM   #82
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

So it seems EXPO did split the community some more
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.06, 04:38 AM   #83
merman

merman is an asset to this community

I guess anything is going to have the community split, since she's not the RRRRRRRingo anymore... I really love Expo, but I admit it might be because I have the songs far from overplayed, actually after Zazen it's the only concert I've seen in its entirety. I'm not sick of any of them, so if that's the reason I can understand why somebody wouldn't like it that much, but you couldn't have expected anything else than you got in the first place.
I'm getting ready to watch EM as a whole soon too.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.06, 08:03 AM   #84
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I mean, it is overrated for the time being...
*fails to see how something rated third at best out of 7 DVDs is overrated* Sorry mang, but the orchestra is completely muffling your ability to hear quality. The band is there playing just as well as any band she's had and you can hear them if you actually listen for them. The orchestra was barely in Tsumiki Asobi so I don't know why it bothered you so much. Let me guess, the orchestra ruined Gibs and Tadashii Machi as well, huh?

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Blackout was cheesy.
Says the dude who likes Botomin of all songs.
Old 2009.04.06, 08:08 AM   #85
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
So it seems EXPO did split the community some more
Ehh, I dunno. I'm only saying that I didn't think it was amazing. I know I'm the atypical example, but I still have a lot of faith in the current Ringo. I've enjoyed almost all of her recent music, and as long as she doesn't keep dwelling on the past (which she had every right to do in this particular case), I don't think she'll be disappointing me again anytime soon.
That is, of course, unless the new B-side is Yokiyou. :B

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Says the dude who likes Botomin of all songs.
Haha, tru. But Boutomin was actually written to sound that way. It's a funky song. Variety carries a lighthearted style all the way through. Blackout is from Adult, which, aside from Toumei Ningen, is pretty much the opposite. The new arrangement with the spy movie sound makes it lose any of the dignity it once had.

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2009.04.06 at 08:14 AM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.06, 08:25 AM   #86
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
but I still have a lot of faith in the current Ringo. (...) That is, of course, unless the new B-side is Yokiyou. :B
So you dismiss "Yokyou" and "Ariamaru Tomi"... How much faith are we talking about here? D:

Btw, I think some people here just don't like orchestras and when a song has a orchestra arrangement, quickly dismiss it. I mean, I read people saying "Oh mah gad, EXPO shucks, except when the orchestra doesn't play." But then again, they probably say a song sucks just because a particular person plays the guitar in it, regardless of the rest of the instrument players and/or singer.

OT, Electric Mole is awesome =)
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.06, 10:34 AM   #87
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
*fails to see how something rated third at best out of 7 DVDs is overrated* Sorry mang, but the orchestra is completely muffling your ability to hear quality. The band is there playing just as well as any band she's had and you can hear them if you actually listen for them. The orchestra was barely in Tsumiki Asobi so I don't know why it bothered you so much. Let me guess, the orchestra ruined Gibs and Tadashii Machi as well, huh?
Dude, the orchestra had no business in Tsumiki. When the song started, it was 100% true to the original MM version of the song, a way she hasnt performed in years. I was primed for it, and then the orchestra horns in on it. I did not think it worked. Gibbs however totally worked great! Tashi Machii...I would have liked a straight version with that band -- but we got it straght with phase 1 already so whatever.

Sure, 3 or 4 of 7 doesn't seems right, but the fact that this line of discussion is in the EM thread hints otherwise (plus some genuinely think its better.)

I know you have personal partiality to this show, but I'm just calling how I see it.
(the 1st half ofthe show is really good!)
Old 2009.04.06, 11:06 AM   #88
Maou

So do you want straight MM performances or not? You do for Tsumiki, but not Tadashii Machi? The Expo version of Tadashii Machi is more true to the MM version than the EM version even if it's not quite as good.

I have no more personal bias than you do. I still feel EM and Dynamite are better performances and better than anything she'll ever do in the future. Expo completely stalled at points (Yume no Ato, Kuki, Kabukicho, Tsumi to Batsu), but so did the other two. I just think you're overstating the impact of the orchestra on certain songs.
Old 2009.04.06, 11:39 AM   #89
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I said I wouldve liked a straight Tadashii Machi, but we got one in EM and I guess the orchestration wasn't as intrusive, so I gave it a pass. However, I the orchestration on Tsumiki felt "thrown in" even more so and I just felt totally deflated when Neko kicked in. I think it made the song feel so "showey", like they were going to pull back the curtains and have elephants posing. But Tsumiki and Tadashii Machi were just two songs where I felt the band was just playing the song straight, and the orcestra played along for no good reason, those were the only times I felt that way in the show. Sure there were other times I felt they weren't there too, but those were the only times it felt totally unecessary to the song.
Old 2009.04.06, 12:01 PM   #90
Maou

But, mang, there is orchestration in the studio version of Tadashii and, like Gibs, that's what they're playing at the Expo. :\

I'm not as upset about Tsumiki because I don't even like the studio version. I skip it most of the time. Phase 1 version or bust.