Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.03.14, 05:21 PM   #21
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The only Nicki Minaj song I like is the one that was written by will.i.am. The girl can't write songs, let alone rap. I wonder why Korea can have the most bad-ass female rapper (Tasha), but the west can't?

Abnormally Attracted to Sin was boring, but at least it had some parts that were a little adventurous. I really, really, liked her Seasonal Album though.

My vote? 0304 by Jewel. First she is part country, part folk, part indie (before it was even indie), part hippie love child, and then she releases the most generic pop drivel you can imagine. I think the fact that she even composed most of those songs makes it even worse. Intuition was shit. It doesn't matter if it was tongue-in-cheek, it was still shameless.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.16, 07:26 AM   #22
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
My vote? 0304 by Jewel. First she is part country, part folk, part indie (before it was even indie), part hippie love child, and then she releases the most generic pop drivel you can imagine. I think the fact that she even composed most of those songs makes it even worse. Intuition was shit. It doesn't matter if it was tongue-in-cheek, it was still shameless.
Even though 0304 is the only Jewel CD I actually own, I'm not even going to try to rebuttal your judgment there. This album would have been okay from some other artist who didn't already have their own niche - but not from her.

Considering that's exactly how a few people feel about specific Shiina Ringo or Tokyo Jihen releases - your inclination to hold your favorite artists to the highest standards, is an important quality to bring with you to this community.
Old 2011.03.16, 09:26 AM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

@deadgrandma: To continue what Maou said, Zeitgeist didn't have a particularly high bar to reach for many Pumpkins fans. It wasn't placed to be a follow up to Machina 1 and 2 so much as a continuation of what Billy Corgan had done since then. Zwan had some great songs, and then he apparently aimed to make the worst possible album choosing some truly bad songs and making them sound as crummy as he could. Then thefutureembrace was so misguided and then abandoned THE DAY BEFORE ITS RELEASE. So by the time we got to Zeitgeist, found it was just Billy and Jimmy, lots were just worried how bad "SP2" was going to be. If anything Zeitgeist just inched over my bar because it has some truly Pumpkin-sounding songs on it (Neverlost, Zeitgeist, Ma Belle -- and yet only one of these songs made the original damn album! ) To find Zeitgeist a heavy handed "I can make my guitars sound crunchiererer *pout*" mixed with out of place pop songs, ALL of which sound out of place in the Smashing Pumpkins catalog was no surprise really.

@turtlefu: A Jewel. I remember when her songs would be advertising poison. Fast forward to razorblade commercial, with product as the song title. Folk's not about green, and Jewel gots to get paid i guess. This doesn't sound at all familiar on this forum.
Old 2011.03.17, 08:22 AM   #24
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The weird thing is, I don't feel the same way about Shiina. I still like Shiina, and I don't think she has jumped the shark like Jewel has. I also think an artist can become really horrible (Tori Amos), and then get back on his/her feet and release good music again, which is what I think Jewel is trying to do by switching to country.

One of the reasons why I hate 0304 so much is because I think Jewel could have (and should have) released actually GOOD pop music, but the music in that CD is just bad. It's not that it's pop/dance music, it's that it is just bad music.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.03.20, 08:31 PM   #25
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
The weird thing is, I don't feel the same way about Shiina. I still like Shiina, and I don't think she has jumped the shark like Jewel has. I also think an artist can become really horrible (Tori Amos), and then get back on his/her feet and release good music again, which is what I think Jewel is trying to do by switching to country.

One of the reasons why I hate 0304 so much is because I think Jewel could have (and should have) released actually GOOD pop music, but the music in that CD is just bad. It's not that it's pop/dance music, it's that it is just bad music.
This seems to be happening a lot with lots of artists. Another example I can think of is Liz Phair and her last 3 miserable albums. The self titled was just wtf (in a bad way- how could she go from hard ass to avril lavigne in a split second), Somebody's Miracle was just... boring, and don't get me started on Funstyle. Not one redeeming quality apart from the 'I don't give a fuck" attitude. Doesn't make me give a fuck either woman.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.02, 11:34 AM   #26
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'm not sure if I'm ready to put it on my list yet, but I'm pretty disappointed by The Strokes new album Angles. Maybe it'll grow on me, but it isn't the classic Strokes sound they were selling before the album's release.
Old 2011.04.03, 08:03 PM   #27
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Logging on in the year of our Lord 2020 just because I saw EMF was back up and I had to change my answer.

I originally said BLACKOUT by the brilliant green which in retrospect is flawed in every way but musically. Though the "band" has turned into the Tommy show, at least she did a great imitation of the brilliant green one last time. It's solid, and a more than acceptable follow-up effort to Los Angeles and THE WINTER ALBUM (my first and fourth favorite albums, respectively). If only she could do a Kickstarter for the band's unfinished/unreleased albums instead of selling tote bags!

Now I would say Born to Die by Lana del Rey. I liked "Video Games" during its initial release, and the title track was great, but the album just didn't deliver. I've even tried it within the last year and it's still a mess. Fortunately every album since Ultraviolence has been great, but unfortunately I'm surrounded by people who think the exact opposite . . .

Last edited by BanFan : 2020.03.25 at 03:21 PM.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote