Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists
View Poll Results: global domination?
Japan 15 32.61%
United States of America 6 13.04%
United Kingdom 15 32.61%
Australia 0 0%
Canada 2 4.35%
Scandinavia 4 8.70%
Latin America 1 2.17%
Central Eurasia 2 4.35%
South and East Asia 0 0%
Africa 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.05.03, 04:54 AM   #51
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Wait a minute. Canada is disqualified (Bryan Adams)
Feist more than makes up for Adams.
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.16, 03:46 PM   #52
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Welcome back to the land of the living, "What country homes the best music?" Thread! And oops. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the discussion for some reason... ?

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Fluffie, I'm a big fan of the Pumpkins!

And I gotta say, they seem to stick out a bit amongst your other selections. What Pumpkins stuff are you most keen on?
I actually have no idea what albums most of the songs are from TJ, but I do own Adore (own, not pwn), and I consider it to be a very nice album. I'm aware of all the disappointment / rage it caused among SP fans, but I think it's good nonetheless. I bought it mainly for just a few of the songs, one of them being "For Martha," which I was really crazy about at the time. I think if Adore had been released by another artist, its reception would have been a lot warmer. But unfortunately, nobody wants to hear Billy Corgan reminisce about his mom! (poor guy )

Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
Oh, I don't really know the artists of the Christian music I listen to other than Matt Redman, Jeremy Camp, etc. I have heard of the Newsboys, though!! I just can't remember which songs they did... >_< I think my favorite song is "Giver of Life" by Tim Hughes; I was so obsessed with that song for the longest time. o_o I also like this new song by Jeremy Camp that's playing on 91.9, but I don't know the song's name. T_T But anyway, I also didn't think anyone here would listen to Christian music, too!!

OOMG, you like Lena Park?!?!?!?! @_@ She has the most amaaazing voice ever!! >_< Have you listened to "Refiner's Fire" by her?? XD

Yay, you're my new friend, Fluffie!!!! I think I'm falling in digital love with... Just kidding... XD;;
I've heard some Matt Redman and Jeremy Camp songs, badtz, but I don't really know too much about those two guys. Did you ever figure out the title of the song on 91.9? I'll have to listen to that Tim Hughes song...

But yeah, the Newsboys have songs like "Shine," "Beautiful Sound," "Entertaining Angels," "John Woo (which I briefly mentioned in another thread)," "It is You," "Thrive," "Breakfast," and "Million Pieces." If you want, I could upload some of my favorite songs of theirs for you.

And Lena Park.. yesss she sure does have an amazing voice. I only have stuff from a couple of her singles and from Beyond the Line, but now I'm excited to check out Refiner's Fire too.

Oh, and badtz... [:-*]

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
I'll go ahead and come out of the Christian music closet too. XD Except I think I often like the sounds better than the lyrics, for some artists. Sometimes I'm listening and it's like "Hey! I don't agree with that" (cause I'm a bit of an unconventional Christian). Artists whose lyrics I DO like are Carolyn Arends and Ginny Owens. I've liked Michael W. Smith for a long time too. I'm kind of out of date with most of it though, and the albums I have are all from the late '90s cause I was stealing the music from my dad (and now he's all about the lame Christian rap/rock that I could care less about). Oh well!
Haha yeah, Christian rap can be pret-ty bad. My friend is really into it, but I happen to think rap is the worst thing ever. I do like DC Talk and their limited "rap" stuff, but Toby Mac is pretty lame on his own.

And ahhh, Michael W. Smith has been one of my favorite singers since I was little. I think I own everything he's ever breathed. I just counted an even 20 albums and a dozen singles / special albums.

If you don't mind talking about it, I'd like to know why you consider yourself an "unconventional Christian."

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
I used to listen to nothing but Christian music (I've kind of turned my back on all that in recent years, but that's a whole other discussion). The only Christian artist I still like is Five Iron Frenzy (which just happened to be the band that got me started on my ska phase). They've got some pretty unconventional lyrics (and an EXTREMELY unconventional sound) for a Christian band...
Haha, FIF is a great band too. I saw them a few years ago during their last tour at a little theater near my house. Have you heard any stuff by Brave Saint Saturn, another band created by Reese Roper (FIF's lead singer)? I do fancy their music even more than FIF's (though it's completely different).

Actually, a lot of Christian bands do surprise people who discover that they fit in that genre. Lots of my friends had no idea that Switchfoot was a Christian band with Christian-based lyrics. ....Umm... that's the only one I can think of right now, but I remember hearing my friends talk about other bands that I never expected them to know existed.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.18, 03:49 PM   #53
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

My vote goes to the UK

Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, deep purple, the rolling stones, the who and more..
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.18, 06:01 PM   #54
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Well, I had no idea the two I was waffling between were tied for the lead in the poll prior to my vote, but I finally went for the UK over Japan. To tell the truth, my musical tastes are all over the map and my iPod is filled with artists from every placed mentioned. But with every other region except for the UK and Japan, and possibly the US, I go there for a specific musical sound. What sets the UK and Japan off for me are the eclectic combining of styles by many artists. Sure they both have their share of throwaway music, but they have enough really good artists to keep it interesting for me.
Old 2008.02.18, 10:48 PM   #55
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Oh, and some other bands/artists that I like that are Christian but not overtly so about it are Eisley and Sufjan Stevens (and Sixpence None the Richer). Fluffie, you can PM me or something to talk more about my religious beliefs but I'm warning you, they're pretty convoluted and I still don't have everything laid down. But basically, I'm cool with gay people, premarital sex, a woman's right to choose, and all of those things that Christians are normally against. So being all liberal has made it pretty hard for me to really identify with the majority of Christians, and I'm really just kind of left floating about on my own!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.19, 07:48 AM   #56
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

My heart belongs to Scandinavia, but my vote goes to the UK. The US and Japan probably come in second and third for me.
Old 2008.02.19, 09:39 AM   #57
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Cosmo! View Post
My heart belongs to Scandinavia, but my vote goes to the UK. The US and Japan probably come in second and third for me.
You rate your heart pretty low then
well, relatively
Old 2008.02.28, 10:15 PM   #58
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

Scandinavia, I think. The best metal, for sure—some of the very best pop (Björk [not really Scandinavian, but under your definition they are], ABBA if you're into that sort of thing, The Cardigans, The Knife, Kent), excellent folk (Värttinä especially, and Kusumuun Profeetta).

Close behind is Canada, with Tegan & Sara and Feist and older Broken Social Scene and Metric/Emily Haines and older Alanis Morissette and Neil Young and JONI MITCHELL.

Japan has a lot of good stuff in a wide (WIDE) variety of genres, and Shiina Ringo, so I'd place it third.
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 07:28 AM   #59
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

The Cardigans! Because Magnus is sexy.

So I'll go for Scandinavia.

Japan is still number one though. Since Scandinavia is being underrated so I'll vote for it
Old 2008.03.04, 03:53 PM   #60
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'm confused by the divisions. How come some are single countries and some are regions? How can one say the UK or Scandinavia? Those are regions with several different countries. Music from England doesn't sound like music from Scotland or Ireland and music from Sweden doesn't sound like music from Norway.