Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.12.09, 11:58 PM   #11
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It's really more interesting when people post non-SR related releases...
Old 2009.12.10, 12:19 AM   #12
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'm a littlte one-dimensional though

I vote for Syrup 16g's Mouth to Mouse. I love that album.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 12:27 AM   #13
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I think the 00ies were less album oriented for me, than the 90ies. Maybe because of digitally downloaded music. In the 90ies, you still had to wear your mittens, take the train into the city and buy the cold hard album.
Not so much physical contact these days, which leads to not remembering albums as much as songs and artists.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 07:22 AM   #14
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Finally a thread worth posting in!

However, I have to muddle this over a bit...
Old 2009.12.10, 07:41 AM   #15
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

One of them would definitely be Goldfrapp's "Felt Mountain". Maybe The White Stripes' "Elephant", SR's "KZK" and Björk's "Medúlla".
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 08:08 AM   #16
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Gagle - Big Bang Theory Shuffle (2006)

Sample:
Gagle - Love Note (not in album)
Gagle - 屍を越えて feat.cro-magnon
Gagle - Big Bang Theory

A pretty recent discovery for me, this is made it to my top albums list because, after 8ish years of thinking that hip hop is rubbish, this album completely changed my mind. This is a fine hip-hop jazz record. I should thank jazzmates cro-magnon for this discovery!
Old 2009.12.10, 08:41 AM   #17
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Was gonna go for Travis' The Man Who which I thought was 2000. It's 1999 unfortunately
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 02:42 PM   #18
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

A tip of the brim to Cornelius. Such excellent stuff.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.11, 02:36 PM   #19
darkdisco

darkdisco pleased at least somebody

I've started trying to compile a list, and every time I think I've got it done, I think of something else.

SR/TJ aside, my top ten would probably look something like this:

Bjork; Vespertine / M.I.A.; Kala / Number Girl; Sappukei / The Breeders; Title TK / The Knife; Silent Shout / Sleater-Kinney; One Beat / Dengue Fever; Escape from Dragon House / múm; Finally we are no one / Pretty Girls Make Graves; Élan Vital / Le Tigre; Le Tigre
darkdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.12, 10:20 AM   #20
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

When I saw this thread, I inherently knew I HAD to make my post. So I got to reflecting, what albums have I burned a hole though in a decade? Lets see...Mellon Collie..no, 90's. Morning Glory of course! Come on, that's 90's too, duh. Beth Orton, but her best stuff was in the late 90's as well. I got it! The Soft Bulletin! ...Dammit! Ok, this was going to be more difficult than I had thought.

I went from 8th grade to Bachelor's of Science in the 2000's which meant I spent most of my time traversing school halls, waiting for buses and rides, with headphones fixed to my head. How could I have such a hard time finding albums from the current decade I constantly returned to? I know I advertise I enjoy living in the past, but really now. Which albums were best? A-ha!

I've touted many times before, I know, but Tatu's debut album 200 po Vstrechnoi remains one of the best pop albums of this decade and I don't think it had any real competition until Lady Gaga came along. Like her, with Tatu you may have had to look past some "shenanigans" and stigma to hear the great music -- but it's there. It may not be the smartest album, but it is certainly one of the catchiest, admit it. If you dig Lady Gaga, you gotta check out her Russian predecessors.

The best pop album west of the Atlantic (and sounds like it as well) has got to be Cosmicandy from The Orion Experience. I'm not being obscure for the sake of being of being obscure. Orion Experience is a band I found through my radio show and eventually became a staple from both audience and my own damned demand. It's start to finish catchy clever pop songs. If you don't agree then at least consider the first three tracks found here are one of the best best album opens of the decade. Do yourself the favor and go to youtube and check out the songs. I'v tried to pimp them here before, but I guess they're not ridiculous enough for this crowd. Whenever I see a Rhianna or a Phoenix play on SNL or Letterman I can't help but wonder why it's not these guys performing because they definitely have the talent.

What? Two pop albums? Yeah, 00 has been a rough era if you like guitars. Likely most of your fav rock bands broke up or went gay (I'm looking at you Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead!) I feel compelled specifically not to extol flawed albums from great 90's bands just because they were released this decade. With that said I honestly believe Oasis' Dig Out Your Soul belongs in this conversation. While people heralded Don't Believe the Truth as Oasis return to form, I just sorta saw it as them doing the same thing they always did, but even older. DOYS however is almost the sole example of Oasis changing it up and expanding their sound. Yes they've had psychedelic songs in the past, but never did the songs have their own unique sound scape. I'm not pretending Oasis is the first to do this, but they are one of the few to combine it with their quality of songwriting.

Speaking of quality songwriting, one album that seemed to fly under my own radar even as I was listening to it was Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It's not classically what I'd finger to be an album I'd love, it's not quite overtly soft like a Feist or Beth Orton -- nor is it straight out jangly like a Travis or (early) Coldplay. When I was looking up the statistics on my old mp3 player, I was shocked to see just how many plays this album got over more "expected" albums from bands I post about ad nauseum here. On musical merit though, how can you not want to replay it with tracks like "Heavy Metal Drummer" "I'm the Man Who Loves You" and "Jesus, Etc."? I really want to listen through Wilco's other albums, I just need to stop dragging my feet on it.

If Wilco represents my quiet, introspective stage, then Number Girl's Sappukei represents my out-and-out angry stage. (Who doesn't go through high school and college without an angry stage?) The weird thing is, though there is quite a bit of yelling on this record, it doesn't sound overtly angry. This is the album where I felt Number Girl put it all together. They took some of the better composition skills and catchiness from their first two records, shaved off some of the more aimless numbers, went a little experimental -- but not too experimental (like Num Ami Dabutz or worse, Zazen Boys,) and put out a great explosion of an album. I like to think of Sappukei as a musical version of one of those stress balls.

Perhaps the reason I found it so difficult to think of albums I listened to this decade is because my listening habits had been dominated by Shiina Ringo. Like any artist I love, the album I most adore lies in the 90's. So I'm left with my second choice, but that's not to say Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana is a chump of an album. In a decade where you just can't make it with a normal rock album, Shiina Ringo out-"Kid A"s them all with her operatically disguised return to the scene. There's little I need to say here about this album.

This decade we saw the word "Alternative" phased out in favor of "Indie" -- which is an even bigger misnomer. But whatever, I wasn't invited to that meeting. I love my share of 00-brand alternative music. However a band that puts out a great indie song often doesn't put out an equally good album. Which is frustrating. When trying to think of an album, start to finish, that really iconifies the decade from 2000-2009 I keep landing squarely on one album: If it was You by Tegan and Sara. Tegan and Sara have sorta gone from indie-darlings to practically revered within the scene. So Jealous is probably there bigger work, but If it was You is the gem that shines brighter. This album for me captures a very particular era personally (starting college), and maybe by proxy those young folk around me. If It was You exemplifies that young, snappy attitude, yes a little ironic but not nauseatingly so. There's plenty of ways to iconify the decade in a bad way (google: The Shins) but I think this album filters in only the good.