Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.09.12, 06:46 PM   #21
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
We've already established that I love Bonnie Pink and Luna Sea, but I also particularly like Japanese Eurobeat artists MAX and Folder 5.
What?! When did we establish this? Maou, let's talk Bonnie Pink. :3 Do you like her new album?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 07:04 PM   #22
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ Well, gee, I thought my "Bonnie Pink > SR" posts kinda got that point out for me. Anywho, yeah, I like the new album, but I don't think it's not quite up to par with some of the older albums. The only time I've been slightly disappointed by her was with Golden Tears. I wasn't feeling that album like the rest of them. My favorite albums are Even So, Let Go, Just a Girl, and Heaven's Kitchen. My absolute favorite works by her though are the tracks on the Daisy EP. Not Ready and Hang Glider just connected perfectly with me.
Old 2007.09.13, 10:54 AM   #23
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Except for some video game music back in the 80s (which doesn't really count IMO), it was Hamasaki's PV "Boys & girls".
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.14, 10:09 AM   #24
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Anywho, yeah, I like the new album, but I don't think it's not quite up to par with some of the older albums. The only time I've been slightly disappointed by her was with Golden Tears. I wasn't feeling that album like the rest of them. My favorite albums are Even So, Let Go, Just a Girl, and Heaven's Kitchen. My absolute favorite works by her though are the tracks on the Daisy EP. Not Ready and Hang Glider just connected perfectly with me.
Whoaaaa... that's my opinion almost exactly. @_@ Except I also consider "Present" to be one my favorite/her best albums. And I'm liking the stuff on the new album more and more!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 08:56 AM   #25
Appeltje

Appeltje pleased at least somebody

1. What was the first Japanese song you heard?
It was a song from a cd I had got from somebody when I started studying Japanese. It was a collection of songs from Japanese TV dramas. I don't remember the title or any of the songs, but I remember one thing - it absolutely sucked Of course I still used it (and other really corny J-pop) to study, and since there was so good Japanese music at hand at the time, I was forced to listen to it a lot. Aargh. Luckily that time is over now and I have discovered a lot of good Japanese music, first and foremost Shena Ringo

2. Which artists got you interested in finding out more about Japanese music?
Well, that would be Shena again
After I had got the Muzai Moratoriamu album from a Japanese exchange student, I had to get more. When I went to Japan the first time, I bought Shoso strip and a song that was popular at the time, Andante by Yaida Hitomi. From then on my Japanese playlist has been growing a lot.
It's fun to listen to, as well as a great tool for learning Japanese.

3. Are there any genres of Japanese music or artists you particularly like?
I basically judge Japanese music the same as any music around the world. I listen to Rock (Shena Ringo, Tokyo Jihen), Ska/Punk (Tokyo Paradise Ska Orchestra, Asian Kung Fu Generation), Funk (Super Butter Dog), somewhat more poppy tunes (Kiroro, some of the Otsuka Ai songs, Miki Dosan, Lindberg, Soul'd out), to as far as a bit of Okinawan (fusion) music (Rinken Band, The Boom). Everything really
Appeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 03:02 PM   #26
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Appeltje View Post
I basically judge Japanese music the same as any music around the world.
I do the same thing when I tag my songs. I know Japanese pop is different then western pop, but its pop at its heart so I just tag the genre as Pop. Same thing for other genres.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 06:50 PM   #27
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

1. Technically, it must have been the theme for Hutchi. The show was dubbed in French and played on Saturday mornings, but the theme song was left in Japanese. Otherwise I got more exposure through the Bemani videogames. DDR/Guitar Freaks/Drummania/Para Para Paradise led me to learn about lots of Japanese artists.

2. I didn't get interested in one particular artist that led me to a lot of things. It was a combination of Bemani music (finding the original songs), Project J's website,(Go!Go!7188, SR, Judy and Mary, Bonnie Pink, Cocco, Yaida Hitomi) random stuff my friend was sending me (Mini Moni, Kiroro).

3. I like good female vocals above all. Mostly pop I'd say, with some melodic-rock, electronica... I don't care about genres much. Favorite artists of the moment: SR/TJ, Go!Go!, Ikimonogakari, Halcali, Ajico, UA, YUI, Yamaguchi Momoe, Amuro Namie
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 07:01 PM   #28
Migoto

Migoto is headed in the right direction

1. What was the first Japanese song you heard?
Like Lena-chan, it was probably the Jaspion soundtrack songs... They're not bad, but they're so overplayed by the otaku bands around here that they started to piss me off. =P

2. Which artists got you interested in finding out more about Japanese music?
L'Arc~en~Ciel. It was probably the first time I realized japanese could do music other than tokusatsu, game and anime soundtracks.

3. Are there any genres of Japanese music or artists you particularly like?
I like artists of pretty different styles, actually. Aina Ougi, Galneryus, Guruguru Eigakan, Hikawa Kiyoshi, Hirama Mikio, Kana, Kazufumi Miyazawa, Klaha, Kokushoku Sumire, Közi, L'Arc~en~Ciel, Linda & The Big King Jive Daddies, Moi dix Mois, Schwarz Stein, S.O.A.P., Yuu... (yes, I wrote it while looking in my music folder, that's why it's in alphabetical order!)

It would be interesting to see what kind of non-japanese music people here listen to...
Migoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.17, 07:15 PM   #29
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Migoto View Post
It would be interesting to see what kind of non-japanese music people here listen to...
Sounds like somebody should create a new topic.
Old 2007.09.17, 08:04 PM   #30
Migoto

Migoto is headed in the right direction

Sounds like somebody should create a new topic.
Voila!
Migoto is offline   Reply With Quote