Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.09, 06:54 AM   #351
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
The saddest part is that there is no really strong opinions either negative or positive this time round. It's just... out. The most heated debate I've gotten into is that I find Reimport is more interesting than Sunny and people disagree.

That's it. No hate, no true love for it. It's just another release that will make no impact on the discography in the end. Nothing awful, nothing brilliant.

I miss my EMF arguments :-(
Why don't you give it some time to let it sink in for people? I know I'm still letting the album seep in myself. Honestly, I enjoy it the more I listen to it and I'm currently in the "love it" camp.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.09, 07:25 AM   #352
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm also in the "love it" camp; but I've only listened to reimport a couple of times and don't remember much of it to be honest. Neglecting Shiina's music slightly ever since variety I think and I thought it wasn't that good (reimport); Hi Izuru Tokoro is something I enjoy listening to without comparing it to nostalgic j-pop or reimport however

I guess I'm too casual a fan to have a solid enough opinion on the album as a whole, like with Carnation; I love her vocals on it but something about the song just makes me want to listen to Pika Pika by Kawamoto Makoto >_>;

edit: Oops, missed Inseu's reply. *Toumei Ningen*

Last edited by NCORE : 2014.11.09 at 07:29 AM.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.09, 05:40 PM   #353
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I guess the main problem I have with it is that the album doesn't really mean anything in the scheme of her albums.

Looking at main solo albums:
MM, SS, KZK and SG.

ALL of these represent a leap or change. Whether you were on board or not, all of them made a a difference and a very strong, unforgetable addition to the catalog.

What does Sunny offer then?

Certainly nothing new. You can pick and compare each and every song on this to something else thats on another one of those 4 albums.

It doesn't mean that Sunny is awful. But for me as a hardcore fan, I feel truly let down for the first time. I know others felt that with Variety, but at least that still sounds like no other release up until that point. SG had it's share of detractors but at least SG was focussed and knew what it was.

Sunny is a collection of songs and how I wish it was labelled as that. Calling it her 5th album is quite brutal to me because it ruins the awesome streak she was on under official studio albums (in my opinion of course). Sure, it offers a pretty decent EP when you focus on the new tracks only, but is it worthy of being lumped with MM, SS, KZK or SG? No way.

Sunny will be forgotten within a year when whatever else comes out by Ringo.

And that's why I'm butthurt.
Old 2014.11.09, 09:41 PM   #354
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Well how do you think I feel waiting to pick up the damn thing in person in 2 weeks? Then I won't be able to give it a proper listen for another week. In the meantime, people are already writing it off.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.09, 09:53 PM   #355
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Give it a couple of months, people will like it. Then give it another couple months and people will dislike it again. Then a few months later back to liking it... and so on... seems to be the pattern.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.10, 01:37 PM   #356
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I like my albums to be cohesive, unified pieces of work with a strong point of view. This does not have that. Most of Shiina's albums have had that. As much as I like the songs individually (and I really, really do), this suffers by the fact that the songs don't interact in any meaningful way. How can they? Some of them were written, recorded, and produced years apart.
That is all.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.10, 02:32 PM   #357
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Maybe some songs just don't feel like interacting with each other in meaning ways. In fact, they suffer more when they interact.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.10, 02:57 PM   #358
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

@turtlefu: What do you mean "strong point of view"... You mean it always has to be a "message" album??? Have fun with that...

Also, I don't think time apart really matters everytime... I mean, look at the first Togawa best of (Tokyo Barbarism) or the Nick Cave best of... They truly work as their own albums.

Sunny doesn't but it doesn't mean it's impossible.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.10 at 03:05 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.10, 04:42 PM   #359
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I like my albums to be cohesive, unified pieces of work with a strong point of view. This does not have that. Most of Shiina's albums have had that. As much as I like the songs individually (and I really, really do), this suffers by the fact that the songs don't interact in any meaningful way. How can they? Some of them were written, recorded, and produced years apart.
That is all.
The entire album flows together really well, especially all the new songs. I'm surprised how well her older songs flow together. How did the songs on MM interact with each other in a meaningful way? Those feel like a collection of songs as well if you ask me.

How can you sit here and fault an album for the songs not interacting in a meaningful way? Sounds absurd. I feel like people are trying to nitpick at this point.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.10, 07:19 PM   #360
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, too much foreknowledge of a product really kills it for some people.

Like, if you didn't know certain tracks were previously released, would you think they were "out of sync" with the rest? And if they aren't in sync, why does their being previously released have to do with that? It's just nit-picking.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote