Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions You MUST introduce yourself here before you may post throughout the rest of the community.

Old 2007.04.05, 10:08 PM   #61
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Koh View Post
Im an Art (emphasis photography) major and am very busy and very poor.
hehe photography. we can be good friends.
Old 2007.04.05, 10:22 PM   #62
Fukurou

Fukurou pleased at least somebody

French.
26 years (omg old man)
Likes drawing, plays drums in a metal/rock band just started a few months ago.
Big fan of Shiina since...omg i don't remember...4 years, maybe 5 ?
She's really one of my favorite artist for everything so different she did...(oh and she's sexy on the top of that )

i hope we can discover more and more of her together : )
Fukurou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.06, 07:06 AM   #63
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I've been hooked since April 2006. My conversion (under the user name "Rockist Scientist") is documented on this ILM thread:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...threadid=39358

Preliminary investigation suggests she is the major pop music figure of this decade, but I've only been listening to her for--what?--a week, and then only to online files. But I'll be buying some CDs soon enough.

Anyway, milton parker had been talking about Adult on a different thread and it seemed interesting, which led me to check youtube, and after seeing Himitsu and Kurumaya-san and then solo videos like Ringo No Uta, Honnou, and Yami ni furu ame, I was very very interested in hearing and seeing more.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.06, 02:36 PM   #64
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community
Default greetings from Portugal*

hello, some people may remember me or not, I still managed to do about 50 posts before the last forum sank like Titanic.

I'm Bébio, I've been living in Lisbon for 7 years for university studies (although I originally come from a tiny Portuguese island called Madeira), and I'm doing my last internship period in order to graduate (I'm an Architecture student and my course lasts 6 years + 1 year of internship), and after that, I plan to apply for a scolarship to do a post degree on traditional Japanese architecture and Urbanism studies in Japan. I was there last year for a couple of weeks, sponsored by the Japanese ministry of Foreign Affairs, and it was a great time, so it's only natural for me to want to come back, and improve my Japanese language skills as well.

Besides that, I write and play my own music, and I also ocasionally play in friends' bands. When I have some free time outside of the course and music playing, I do some illustrations and drawings just for fun.
I discovered Shiina Ringo around late 2004, because a Japanese girl on a website called "communities" (a place where I no longer go to) had recommended her music to me. I managed to find a couple of mp3 from KZK, and needless to say I was hooked! It's still my favourite album from her.

Since then, I've been enjoying Tokyo Jihen a lot (my fave album is Otona), and the side projects like Pe'Z, Shiina's collaborations with other people, H Zett M, and so on.
My favourite Japanese music is underground music, like Boris, Envy, Toe, Lite, Garlic Boys, DJ Krush, Zazen Boys, Cornelius and stuff like that, although I certainly don't mind the ocasional listening of more accessible music like Bonnie Pink, Acidman, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and even Halcali and Ryp Slyme. But Morning Musume, or Kumi Koda's type of music are just not my thing

As for non asian music, I enjoy Radiohead, Silverchair, Mr. Bungle, Mike Patton, Refused, Shellac, Sigur Rós, Isis, Mogwai, Archer Prewitt, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Bôa, Beck, Air, among many other things.

Pleased to meet you all again, and sorry for the long introduction... It is said that Portuguese sometimes talk too much...
bebio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.06, 03:06 PM   #65
Fukurou

Sounds true
Welcome, very nice musical tastes !
Envy, Boris, Patton, wow, exactly like me ^^
D'you have some of your own music online, i'm curious ?
Old 2007.04.06, 03:53 PM   #66
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by bebio View Post
My favourite Japanese music is underground music, like Boris, Envy, Toe, Lite, Garlic Boys, DJ Krush, Zazen Boys, Cornelius and stuff like that, although I certainly don't mind the ocasional listening of more accessible music like Bonnie Pink, Acidman, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and even Halcali and Ryp Slyme. But Morning Musume, or Kumi Koda's type of music are just not my thing :p

As for non asian music, I enjoy Radiohead, Silverchair, Mr. Bungle, Mike Patton, Refused, Shellac, Sigur Rós, Isis, Mogwai, Archer Prewitt, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Bôa, Beck, Air, among many other things.
I have a collaboration CD between Boris and Merzbow that I really like (Sun Baked Snow Cave). If you haven't heard them already (and if you like noise...it's noise with a punk rock twist, really), give Melt-Banana a try.

And you're one of the few people I've met who actually likes HALCALI (everyone I've shown them to has hated them). I think the naivety of the group (two high school girls who didn't know each other, and who had never really heard of rap before they were brought together, performing a super-happy kind of J-Pop/Rap mix) is really fun and silly and entertaining. I'm also not much of a "normal" J-Pop person, although I do like Puffy and some of the Hamasaki Ayumi trance remixes.

I gave Mr. Bungle a try several months ago and didn't really like them that much (I wasn't all that fond of the vocals, really...), although they seemed really interesting. And Godspeed You! Black Emperor is excellent as well.

It's not often I find someone with such similar musical tastes to myself.
Old 2007.04.06, 04:58 PM   #67
Mad_Mac

Mad_Mac pleased at least somebody

Hajimemashite......

Septa, 21, Indonesia.

January, 2006 was the first time i heard her music. Her first release single. Koufukuron. My first impression. What a girl!!!! After that i discovered that she made a band, so i started downloading(no original, and money). Hooked up with Toumei, Gunjo, and Sounan like crazy. Again, downloaded Dynamite Out. All of them are amazing in my eyes. So, I start searching all of her work, from her solo. You can say i found my light. I've been desparate to find a music that could move me. I like old2 rock stuff, and music that offered by the television is killing me.

Shiina is already a GOD for my music standing beside Mr. Big at the moment, but i think she will be above Mr. Big in near time.

Do i talk to much????

Anyway, feel so good to be in this forum.

Last edited by Mad_Mac : 2007.04.06 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
Mad_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.06, 05:00 PM   #68
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

Ah, thank you both for your kind replies ^^
It's always a pleasure for me to discuss interesting music with people around the globe.

>Fukurou

Well, yes I have some stuff online. But a warning: The music I have online has nothing to do with the musical tastes I've mentioned haha ^^
My solo project is basically just me and an acoustic guitar, and it's in the vein of solo artists like Nick Drake, Kings of Convenience, Jose Gonzalez, or Vashti Bunyan. But I've been recording some "lo-fi" demos in my bedroom, and some friends are going to add piano and back vocals and percussion later.

I have another project, called Shibuya-K, but so far all I've finished was a remix for a japanese band called M.O.V.E. This is a strange story: I had registered in a website called acidplanet, and they had a remix competition for M.O.V.E. I was excited for this opportunity, even though I had never heard of M.O.V.E. before. And the funny thing is that I downloaded the samples into the computer but because of an internet failure, the connection fell just right after I'd downloaded the last sample. So, I had lots of small samples, but I could not hear the original song to hear how it sounded like. Even so, I decided to go ahead and remix all those bits and pieces without listening to the original. I closed myself in my bedroom for about 3 whole days, and left with a finished remix that I uploaded to the contest. Only after I uploaded the remix I decided to hear the original. And man, I was quite disappointed. My remix is hardly the bees' knees, but with all modesty I think I actually prefer my version over the original.

Now my next plan for Shibuya-K is to do an album that mixes club beats with edgy rock, like Soulwax, LCD Soundsystem, and also other songs that mix dub with traditional Japanese instruments. I already have several ideas, but no finished songs yet. I'm kinda waiting to focus on them after I graduate this year, when I have more free time. I also want to try and contact Japanese musicians and try to convince them to collaborate with me on some of the songs, which would be really exciting for me.
But alas, all I have right now (and will have for some time) is the darn MOVE remix. you can hear it for a bit of a laugh.

And I play with friends, as a bass player, and I think their music is so much better than mine... Now that I've made these warnings, to succesfully lower your expectations, here goes the links:

Lavimpa (my solo acoustic stuff): http://www.myspace.com/lavimpa
Shibuya-K (only a remix): http://www.myspace.com/shibuyak

And for my friends with whom I've collaborated:
http://www.myspace.com/aboutowake
http://www.myspace.com/northernsoundz
http://www.myspace.com/polepole

>CatchFiveBats:

Actually, that split album with Merzbow is missing in my collection. I'd love to listen to it in mp3 eventually.

As for Melt-Banana, I've only heard 2 or 3 mp3 a long time ago. I'm definitely curious to check out more.

For me, the fascination in Halcali is that I can truly feel their "personality" in the songs they make. It's true they have been produced by a lot of people, but their songs don't sound like they came from a mass-production company. A lot of J-pop feels void and empty of feeling for me. But I feel that Halcali is not faking their music. Somehow, their songs feel sincere to me. Their naivety doesn't feel fabricated, or forced. I don't know how to explain it, but I think the girls sound naturally genuine when they sing about their wacky topics. Strawberry Chips could be a really corny song, but it really moves me emotionally. I get all nostalgic about my teenagehood years when I listen to it. And they make a reference to Figo (the portuguese soccer player) in one of the songs of Halcali Bacon. That can only be a plus in my book ^^

And Twinkle Star for me is plain genious, especially the video. That gorilla is priceless.

As for Mr. Bungle, what album did you hear? I'd recommend California as a starting point, because it is their most accessible CD. Disco Volante is just plain crazy. Because Mike Patton is always experimenting with his vocals, liking what he does can be a hit-or-miss affair, but If you listen to California and you don't like it, I'd recommend you listen to Fantômas' "The Director's Cut", or Peeping Tom's self-titled album. In each of those albums Mike sings in completely different ways, and you might like them more.

But it's ok if Mr. Bungle is not quite your cup of tea... They have some songs even I don't listen to all that much.

Sorry for the long post...
Old 2007.04.06, 05:01 PM   #69
Fukurou

Catch >> The collab with Merzbow was pretty interesting yes...but you have to like slow structures to like it ^^
For Melt banana, it's one of my fav' japanese band too, Cell scape is my favorite CD.
About Mr Bungle it's not really easy-listening so you should give them other tries in the future (plus there's one of their album i find not that great, doesnt' remember the name, maybe that's the one you listened to)

Well guys, with tastes like this i'm looking forward to see both of your LastFM pages on the specific thread, if you have one.

Edit : Thanks Bebio, can't listened to it at the moment, since i'm at work, but i'll try later...and don't worry, i'm very open-minded when it comes to music (well music and everything, anyway)

Last edited by Fukurou : 2007.04.06 at 05:13 PM.
Old 2007.04.06, 09:13 PM   #70
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Wow, I can't believe there are 100 members already!! >_<

It's good to see the old members back, and welcome to all the new members--it's great to have you here!!