Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.14, 09:44 AM   #1
isxahopas

isxahopas pleased at least somebody
Lightbulb Bara no Otona: A Tokyo Jihen Musical Materpiece

Like a Japanese "Dark Side of the Rainbow" plus vampire cheese factor.

(and it's a little rough around the edges, but hopefully by the bloodsucking "Keshou Naoshi" seduction scene I'll have won you over.)

Please enjoy!

Part 1

edit: Oh, and do forgive that horrid typo in the title. I promise that I at least took better care in double-checking the film before I posted it (although, in a way, I find "materpiece" oddly fitting.)

Last edited by isxahopas : 2009.04.14 at 09:51 AM.
isxahopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.14, 10:53 AM   #2
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Are u a malice mizer fan?
Old 2009.04.14, 12:23 PM   #3
isxahopas

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Are u a malice mizer fan?

Well, I suppose I'd be lying if I said that they weren't some sort of guilty pleasure but Malice Mizer isn't a band I consciously consider in that light.
(ie: I don't own any of their albums but after a few drinks I could probably karaoke at least a quarter of their repertoire at will.)

For what it's worth though, I was a big Tetsu fan in high school (both early Mizer and nil material.) After reading your post I thought I ought to give "Memoire" another chance and my favourite song is still the same: "エーゲ海に捧ぐ~the vault of heaven~". Gackt's version just never did it for me.
Old 2009.04.14, 01:21 PM   #4
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think MM had a song called Bara no Seidou, and this vampirish movie called Bara sth sth sth.

That's why I asked.
Old 2009.04.14, 01:32 PM   #5
isxahopas

I think MM had a song called Bara no Seidou, and this vampirish movie called Bara sth sth sth.

"Bara no Konrei"?

That's what it is
Old 2009.04.14, 01:57 PM   #6
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Their album was called Bara no Seidou, but all the songs on the album were titled ridiciously longer.

I don't know if it's just my 9th grade obsession with them still taking hold, but I do still find Malice Mizer to have a really solid catalog. All 4 albums are still listenable 10+ years after the fact. Just because they dress up and spend a lot of time on their image doesn't take away from their musical ability. It's just like Ziggy Stardust cranked up a notch. :/
I haven't really gotten into any recent visual kei bands though. My interest in that "genre" per se kinda stops around 2002.

Anyway, the video's pretty interesting. A Ringo musical would be fantastic. Or at least a running story put to her work.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.15, 05:29 AM   #7
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Yeah, I think they actually did make good music, you don't need to think about the image when you're just listening to an album, right? Sometimes it might be a bit over the top, but I wouldn't know any other band that sounds remotely like them (they themselves had pretty extreme sound changes anyway).
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.15, 01:49 PM   #8
justriiingo

Ah yes Bara no Konrei. It's been a while since I heard any of their songs. I still think they're a super awesome band, I just don't like their crazy dark theatrical music anymore.
Old 2009.04.16, 04:08 AM   #9
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
Their album was called Bara no Seidou, but all the songs on the album were titled ridiciously longer.

I don't know if it's just my 9th grade obsession with them still taking hold, but I do still find Malice Mizer to have a really solid catalog. All 4 albums are still listenable 10+ years after the fact. Just because they dress up and spend a lot of time on their image doesn't take away from their musical ability. It's just like Ziggy Stardust cranked up a notch. :/
I haven't really gotten into any recent visual kei bands though. My interest in that "genre" per se kinda stops around 2002.

Anyway, the video's pretty interesting. A Ringo musical would be fantastic. Or at least a running story put to her work.
Wow I love malice mizer, I questioned my sexuality while under their influence... that was scary, but their music is so great. I can fanboy for hours about them. Although the last malice mizer album was different from the other 2 era... the song titles were too long sure, plus it was far more gothic. I really think that their catalog is varied and very solid as well. I can honestly say that most visual kei bands don't appeal to me, but I just discovered two recent visual kei bands that are really good in my opinion.
Versailles (very similar to khlaha era malice mizer)
Aristocrat's symphony

and
9GOATS BLACK OUT
sink

Originally Posted by isxahopas View Post
Well, I suppose I'd be lying if I said that they weren't some sort of guilty pleasure but Malice Mizer isn't a band I consciously consider in that light.
(ie: I don't own any of their albums but after a few drinks I could probably karaoke at least a quarter of their repertoire at will.)

For what it's worth though, I was a big Tetsu fan in high school (both early Mizer and nil material.) After reading your post I thought I ought to give "Memoire" another chance and my favourite song is still the same: "エーゲ海に捧ぐ~the vault of heaven~". Gackt's version just never did it for me.
Oh I'm a huge tetsu fan too, I really wish he would of did another album with MM He was such an expressive singer! I loved both gackt's and tetsu's version of eege... but I liked gackt's better the lyrics were more romantic, imo. Gackt's best contribution to MM was the song regret, imo... But I'm a fan of all 3

Oh on my vacation I karaoked for hours on end, killing the malice mizer songs, oh the fun. I recorded some of it... I was actually reading the lyrics, so I messed up more than a coulpe times...
shiroi

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 02:18 PM   #10
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

The Adult songs kind of make the video a little humorous (sorry if that wasn't the effect you were going for). It kind of reminds me of those old movies in sepia that have dancy jazz playing and people poking one another in the eye.
JimmyKoria is offline   Reply With Quote