Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.04.02, 02:39 PM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default [Yokoshima] 2002.04.10 - Georgy Porgy (Online) [Single]

Georgy Porgy

Yokoshima (meaning "Evil") was a cover band formed by Ringo and her brother Junpei specifically to cover Toto's song "Georgy Porgy."

It was available for download between April 10 and 17, 2002 and between May 1 and 9, 2002, and was an online exclusive. It can be seen as a lead-in single for Utaite Myouri, which was released in late May 2002; it can also be seen as promotion for Junpei's own cover album, discover, released on the same day as UM.

Takashi Numazawa, the drummer on Utaite Myouri, knew Toto's drummer, Jeff Porcaro, because his father Joe Porcaro had taught him how to drum. Because of this, Ringo conceived the idea to cover a Toto song. At first she was going to sing the whole song herself, but then decided to let Ukigumo sing the male part, originally sung by Toto's vocalist Steve Lukather, because his voice resembled his more, while she sang the female part, guest backing vocals originally sung by Cheryl Lynn.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.06, 10:37 PM   #4
hypercarrots

hypercarrots pleased at least somebody

i was interested in where this song came from, so i did some searching and found toto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWj4iHx6EIY
hypercarrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.06, 10:57 PM   #5
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

thanks for the video link hypercarrots! i've seen other versions of this on youtube before but this particular one is really good.
Old 2007.04.06, 11:03 PM   #6
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yeah, this version was pretty good! Was this song originally from Toto??

I love this song so much!! >_< I've also heard the Faith Evans and Brian something version, but the Ringo & Junpei version is still my favorite. :p
Old 2007.04.07, 06:41 PM   #7
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Actually a lot of people covered Georgy Porgy before. I had 5 versions of it last time (including the SR one), and there's one french version that I really really like. Unfortunately, a virus came and killed my old PC.

Which is why I use a mac now.
Old 2007.04.07, 06:54 PM   #8
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

PCs are mostly a victim of their own success (though they've had some inherent problems regardless). If Macs were more popular there'd be more Mac viruses. It's like getting 802.11a not because it's faster than 802.11b or 802.11g, but because piggybackers can't touch your wireless connection if you're more elitist than they are.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.10, 12:31 AM   #9
hypercarrots

hypercarrots pleased at least somebody

my guess is that toto did this first. shiinas' version's backing track sounds a lot like toto's. i think i might buy the toto album version from itunes. i like the beat. i like how shiina ringo yells "kiss the girls and make them HIGH!" that's what it sounds like to me.
hypercarrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.10, 06:14 AM   #10
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I always heard "made them cry"

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote