Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.09.18, 07:46 PM   #101
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Now that I've watched it, I'll chime in some bits that no one else seems to have mentioned yet:

Remote Controller:
I've wanted a complete live performance of this for years, and finally got exactly what I wanted here. I can't imagine Tokyo Jihen doing the song much better, not necessarily because this old band was so awesome, but just because it isn't the kind of song that has much to gain from Tokyo Jihen members being awesome in the ways that only they can be.

Sakana:
In an opinion I have harbored for years, Sakana is one of the most underrated studio songs Shiina Ringo has ever recorded. In Zazen Ecstasy, this is ultimately the song that reveals Yayoshi's weakness as a guitar player. Shiina Ringo should have been knocked up by the studio guitarist instead. I love the original studio track, but I'm a little underwhelmed by this particular performance. The riff starting at 1:39 into this song (to replace the trumpet), is probably the most badass thing I've ever heard from Yayoshi for any song, then in the most stark contrast ever, he fails to deliver on all the other originally-awesome riffs before and after. The rest of the band lived up to their end.

My Luxury Night:
This is getting some replays at home and at work for sure. This is so much nicer than most of the other covers Shiina Ringo has ever done in concert. I've grown a bit weary of Shiina Ringo milking Dynamite in recent years, and this was refreshingly different.

Stoicism:
More of Yayoshi's failure here, keeps me from ranking this alongside the Domestic Virgin Line version of Souretsu. It's still a great performance though, and certainly one of the highlights of the concert.

Nihon Ni Umarete:
Hardly anything I haven't heard from Shiina Ringo's hands before - her piano playing on the studio track was already superb, and she gave it maybe an extra 5% here, so while I won't deny that it's better, the piano playing is not exactly leaps and bounds better (the studio track raised the bar quite high to begin with). The strength of this performance for what was actually added onto the studio track, comes primarily from the whole band atmosphere, then Shiina Ringo's own voice comes second.

As for the rest of the tracks, I don't really have anything to say, that hasn't already been said by other people. This was a better experience than Gekokujyo Xstasy, not only with better music and much better video quality, but also I was pleasantly surprised to find that the audio was 24bit and uncompressed - the rest of the concert DVDs should have been made this way. The PCM concert tracks have always been 16bit before, and going from 16bit to 24bit, makes a more significant difference than going from 48kHz to 96kHz. Some recent nonconcert DVDs have made both of those audio jumps simultaneously, but if you had to choose between one or the other (for the sake of maintaining video quality), the 24bit is going to yield the most improvement for the least amount of data increase, and I'm glad that someone working for EMI finally figured this out. (Tony Bennett's American Classic got the same 48kHz/24bit PCM treatment on DVD a couple of years ago)
Old 2008.09.19, 01:29 PM   #102
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Finally got to see it a second time around, so here's some more thoughts.

I know everyone here loves Yokushitsu (and so do I) but the song I love most here (besides Stoicism) is My Luxury Night. Its one of those songs rthat you can hear how its "supposed" to sound, but its unhinged. And I think thats great.

Akane Sasu and Sakana are songs I always always skip on their respective albums. But here they really shine.

Anyone that says "Shiina's vocals are better now than before" is simply nuts or high off their rocker. She really knocks Memai -- the most vocally of her early songs -- straight outta the park. I'm including ma grrl Justin in there too til she sees the light =(

I kinda wished the set was mixed up a bit tho. Put Identity/Public earlier, move Sid to the middle so then we can end the main set with Yokushitsu>Luxury>Stoicism. Sid gets in my way =(

The problem with watching this makes me curious about the SotC2/RSR boots which never surfaced to my knowledge. But then again, this is a psychological trap. Like after the Mellow pv aired (seems so long ago now) and I was on a high and saw the OSCA pv on my hdd and thought about watching it. -- NOT a fun juxtaposition, kids. So I'll just stay happy living in the past until Shiina gives me a damn reason to move forward.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.09.19 at 01:38 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.19, 02:07 PM   #103
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

nippon ni umarete performance was awesome!! it made me remember of the dead nurse on ichijiku no hana pv

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.19, 03:35 PM   #104
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I watched it last night... sooooooo awesome!
I was mesmerized the whole way through pretty much! I was quite sad when it ended... it was like the last glimpse we'll ever have of our beloved bad ass Ringo. And the crucified life size Ringo doll? I was like o____O. So freaky, yet so fitting.

I still have faith! I loved everything Tokyo Jihen did up until Variety (well up until Killer Tune... I still love OSCA). And while the bas add attitude is gone, I guess it doesn't really work over a 10 year career, without getting monotonous. And I am glad she's grown and developed as an artist. I just pray whatever she releases next (and hopefully there is a next) is written by her, as that was the obvious problem with Variety. I can't see how else I can go from pretty much loving everything she's ever done, to pretty much hating one of her releases.

Oh, and thank god they released Zazen. <3
Can't wait to watch it again!
Old 2008.09.20, 02:03 AM   #105
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm on my first voyage into this young fresh Apple ... again... Memai <3
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.21, 11:23 PM   #106
Jesse

Sorry if this has been brought up before... but does anyone know where this footage is from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMq5oWBUSgQ

(lol @ the rehearsals)
Old 2008.09.21, 11:26 PM   #107
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

That's the bonus clip on Zazen Ecstacy DVD
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.21, 11:36 PM   #108
Jesse

There's a bonus clip!! Why didn't i know this! How do you access it?
Old 2008.09.21, 11:38 PM   #109
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

no big secret, just go to the main menu and pick it! (last on the list) if I remember correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snapshot20080922084010.jpg (34.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2008.09.21 at 11:43 PM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.21, 11:41 PM   #110
Jesse

XD I feel like such an idiot!