Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.04.02, 02:39 PM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default [SR] 2011.11.02 - Carnation (CD) [Single]

カーネーション (Carnation)

01. カーネーション (Carnation)
02. 私の愛するひと (Watashi no Aisuru Hito)
03. 人生は思い通り (Jinsei wa Omoidoori)

Second-Press Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.01, 11:34 AM   #4
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

You can here previews of the b-sides on iTunes.

The second song sounds like a French cafe+samba, and it made me think of Tengoku e Youkoso ~Tokyo bay vers.~

The third song made me think of like... New Orleans+Chicago (the musical)+broadway. Something to that effect. It has TRUMPETS and what sounds like a banjo.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.01, 11:43 AM   #5
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Were these songs holdovers from HF? They sure sound like it.

Regardless, 私の愛するひと and 人生は思い通り are both far better than the title track. 私の愛するひと is the best of the bunch. It's like the cousin of Sakuran. I like how 人生は思い通り spontaneously morphs into Konoyo no Kagiri around the midway point before returning back to form.

I've got no complaints after one complete listen to the single. I'll have to give it a go with some better equipment before final judgement though.

Last edited by Maou : 2011.11.01 at 12:23 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.01, 03:19 PM   #6
baruga

baruga has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The second track seems AWESOME. Can't wait to hear the full single.
baruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.01, 04:32 PM   #7
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

OH WOW
Old 2011.11.01, 04:38 PM   #8
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

this single feels like the spiritual successor to Mayonaka... heres hoping she follows it up with an equally bizarre album.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.01, 05:51 PM   #9
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
this single feels like the spiritual successor to Mayonaka...
I don't know what section the previews are from (I don't have iTunes), but the full songs feel far closer to HF than Mayonaka. I'd say it's more of a spiritual successor to Konoyo no Kagiri. They feel like nu-Shiina while Mayonaka was still classic Shiina. Third track's melody feels like Konoyo around the half-way point while the second track reminds me of Sakuran (Onkyo ver.) more than anything.

Last edited by Maou : 2011.11.01 at 06:00 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.01, 06:20 PM   #10
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I don't know what section the previews are from (I don't have iTunes), but the full songs feel far closer to HF than Mayonaka. I'd say it's more of a spiritual successor to Konoyo no Kagiri. They feel like nu-Shiina while Mayonaka was still classic Shiina. Third track's melody feels like Konoyo around the half-way point while the second track reminds me of Sakuran (Onkyo ver.) more than anything.
aaaannnnd it begins. whoever created the term "nu-ringo" should be shot.

iTunes previews 90 second clips so unless they are significantly longer than 4 minutes I sincerely doubt you can't get a full impression of an overall song from iTune clips. I don't hear ANY Konoyo no Kagiri. I assume you mean the song and not the single?

I am not comparing the melody or the song itself to Mayonaka, I am saying the single, as a whole, feels like a spiritual successor, in that it is three original one-off tracks, almost like a mini 3 song sampler. mayonaka was created just for the heck of it and ultimately she didn't incorporate them into KZK because they were too different in nature. As of now there are no plans that we know of for another solo record so I think it is fair to say she is doing this for the heck of it. I get the comparison to Kagiri's Sakuran, but neither the title track nor Karisome Otome Hitokuchizaka Ver sound much like either b-side on this single, and obviously don't sound anything like the single other than they both incorporate orchestras.

by "spirit" I meant more about the nature of the single as a whole over the sound or direction of the songs. but go ahead, misconstrue and over analyze my post as you will. just my opinion, which doesn't matter for much on these boards.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote