Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.03.22, 06:07 PM   #81
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Oh, Shinji, you're really confused. XD This isn't about romanization. Furigana (how to read a word) and romanization (how to turn Japanese characters into roman letters) are different. It's not like, "one way or the other is just as good." It's about how you pronounce it, not how you write it. Basically, in this case, "Nihon" is wrong and "Nippon" is right, and you can't really argue that it's not.

For an example, just look at names. Someone's name could be 太陽. Normally, this is read "taiyou," meaning sun. But when it's a person's name, it has all kinds of readings, like "San," "Soru," "Takaharu," "Tahi," "Tsubasa," etc etc. So someone will say to you "My name is 太陽 Tsubasa." You can't be like "NO YOUR NAME IS TAIYOU BECAUSE THAT'S JUST AS VALID!!!!" (but that would be funny XD)

So, basically, certain kanji can be read one way OR another... but not both. If there are multiple readings, a designated reading one way or the other HAS to be given. In this case, for 日本, it's "Nippon." So everyone says "Nippon." End of story. Do you understand now? :/
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.23, 12:11 AM   #82
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Thanks for explaining what I have read countless times on japanese language books or wikipedia. It's never too much to keep learning it again and again.

You said, and I quote:
Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
So turns out it's "Nippon ni Umarete," not "Nihon." Please fix your tags!
How do you want me to fix my tags? Tags don't support furigana, as far as I know. Do you want me to write "Nippon" in the tags? I don't understand, this is getting confusing.

Also, furigana can be romanized in the same way that everything in japanese can, following the same processes (Hepburn, Nihon-shiki, Kunrei-shiki). So even if you want it to be "Nippon" I can totally romanize it "Nipon" and you can't do anything about it because both are correct. It's unrelated to pronounciation of the word.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.23, 12:59 AM   #83
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Freckles probably meant you should fix your tag to look like "日本(にっぽん)に生まれて", but I think it's just as okay to have 日本に生まれて.
Anyway, isn't 日本 THE word that you can read either "nihon" and "nippon" and both would be right? Again I'm just saying what I've heard elsewhere, and that is that "nippon" is just the older form. Furigana is a pronounciation guide, so it doesn't have to be there if you know how the particular word should be read... so I guess the Japanese tag without the parentheses is indeed okay, and it concerns more those who have the tag romanized.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.23, 09:50 AM   #84
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Oh no, I meant if you are using romaji tags. If your tags are in Japanese characters, they are totally fine, and you don't need to insert furigana.

There are lots of words you can read more than one way. LOTS. But generally, if it can be read one way or the other, one is the definite way, the way you pronounce/read it (which is given by the furigana). In this case it's Nippon. It can't "also be Nihon" because that's not what the furigana says. If we could read words however we wanted, there wouldn't be any need for furigana. And there is. I mean this is just the Japanese system, it's How Things Are. If you want to argue against hundreds of years of a writing system, be my guest. XDD

It's the same with the Tokyo Jihen song Jusui Negai. That word "Jusui" can be read either "Nyuusui" or "Jusui" and the official way, as given by furigana, in the case of this song title, is "Jusui," so everyone does it that way (or they should, at least XD).
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.07, 10:59 PM   #85
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

One of my favorite tracks produced by Ringo for other artists is Rie Tomosaka's Ikenai Ko.

Tomosaka Rie - Ikenai Ko
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.09, 04:43 PM   #86
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

This is the first time I've heard that song, and I love it.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.09, 06:13 PM   #87
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Great! I guess you ignored the silly video and focused on the music.

I wish Phase 1 would have performed this song live. It would have fit perfectly on Dynamite Out! with the proper arrangement.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.09, 07:05 PM   #88
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

There's about 5 seconds of what is unmistakably Ikenai Ko, starting at 5:13 in the "making the video" segment of Tokyo Incidents Vol.1.

It's Title #12 on the DVD, or you can reach it through the DVD Menu, following the DVD cursor in these screenshots:
Name:  Tokyo Incidents Vol.1 - Step #1.png
Views: 37
Size:  132.5 KBName:  Tokyo Incidents Vol.1 - Step #2.png
Views: 38
Size:  43.5 KB
Old 2012.09.10, 12:46 AM   #89
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
Great! I guess you ignored the silly video and focused on the music.
There was a video? =P

I don't mind Rie's vocals on both Ikenai Yo and Tokai no Manner. On the other hand, I've just heard Tomosaka Rie murder Nihon ni Umarete (not in a good way). Lord have mercy.

Ikenai Yo is like Ringo slowly morphing from her demo/MM self to her Shouso Strip self, even without her singing.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2012.09.10 at 01:00 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote