Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.01.26, 08:28 AM   #81
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

You know what I find hilarious? The idea that the supposedly edgy, 'rock chick' SR forced her fandom to listen to showtunes.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.26, 09:52 AM   #82
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Nobody is forcing anyone into anything. And Shiina's been doing "showtune"-y stuff since MM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.26, 03:21 PM   #83
red door

red door pleased at least somebody

I see her as a kind of actress who assumes many different personas.
On one song she's an edgy rock chick, and on another song an actress in
a Broadway play, or a television producer, or numerous other roles.
red door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.26, 03:48 PM   #84
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Nobody is forcing anyone into anything. And Shiina's been doing "showtune"-y stuff since MM.
Same thing with the Jihen Phase 2 stuff that's supposedly too "poppy"... she's always been about really great melodies.

There's several examples of a rock song becoming a showtune song (Sid to Hakuchūmu) or vice-versa (Yattsuke Shigoto album version versus the PV version). All based on the arrangement and instrumentations. It's all in how the songs are produced and arranged as to what genre they fall into.

I really enjoy it because I have pretty broad taste in music that happen to overlap with 98% of the body of work that Ringo has put out.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.26, 06:39 PM   #85
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Remember that Ringo was learnt classical piano and ballet in her childhood. She is very fond of her childhood. I don't see why she can't create showtunes. Plus, her dad listened to ALLLLL THE TYPES OF MUSIC!!! *MEME-IMPLIED*
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.27, 05:03 AM   #86
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
The show-tune stuff back then was the exception, not the rule (and by show-tune, I don't mean anything with an orchestra). And I'm guessing that the reason you added the "-y" to showtune because you know that she didn't play it as straight back then as she does now.

Even seeing SR's old music as 'rock' simplifies things, but I imagine that there's loads of people who enjoyed her work in that sense only (and that's why I think the show tune thing is funny, because it's at the opposite end of the spectrum)

I like SR's sound in whatever form it packages itself (which is why I'm still not bored of SG, compared to most of the Jihen work), and when I am disappointed it's only because the song is sloppy, not because it falls into a particular genre.

I wish she'd go further with the show-tunes.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2012.01.27 at 05:07 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.27, 06:26 AM   #87
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I wish she'd make a song like Between Today and Tomorrow. Oh wait, she did.
Old 2012.01.27, 07:02 AM   #88
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of people agreeing that Honto no Tokoro was one of the standout tracks.
Yeah, maybe after it's had time to sink in. It's just so un-Tokyo Jihen (which isn't a bad thing), so I'm sure that's lending to the negative reactions. I love the song, but at the same time I don't think it fits as the band's studio finale. I guess it was their idea of clever, but (without taking it too seriously), it's just not a satisfying way to close the band because that's not what the band was. In fact, most of this EP is good, but it's also all over the place and not really a summary of what Tokyo Jihen was. It's more like a summary of what they could have been and what they withheld from us (whether that stuff is good or bad). Along with that, I think the EP could have been stronger in more ways than one if only one of the guys (preferably Hata) decided that now was the time to experiment by omitting Ringo. One non-Ringo song would have been neat, as long as it wasn't the last track. Two is like they both had the same idea and then neither one would give it up after learning that it was already going to be done. I know they had their intentions for this EP and it wasn't intended to be so polished and some of it worked and it won't matter in a couple of months, but I just see it (Honto, but moreso the EP) as a confusing ending to what I considered a strong band. And confusing endings (along with weak openings) are the reason I never listen to Dai-Hakken as a whole. Anyways, at least they'll be doing the farewell tour. That should make up for all the trauma they've caused me with this EP :p

Oh, so I guess I sorta just typed my review. So I'll give scores or whatever:
Track 1 - 5 (great song... I only really noticed the forced piano part after other people talked about it, so I don't pay it much mind)
Track 2 - 2 (listenable, but not too great. Definitely could have used Ringo's voice. Izawa's isn't horrible, per se, but for their final EP we didn't need to hear this experiment)
Track 3 - 3 (good I guess, but boring. Maybe because I don't know what she's singing about)
Track 4 - 4.5 (one of my favorites, but could have used more variety in the way the vocals were sung... seems a little repetitive, but that may be the point. What am I saying.. I can't complain about this song. I really like it)
Track 5 - 4 (great song, Hata's vocals are awesome, shouldn't have been the closer. Otherwise it's a 4.5)

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2012.01.27 at 07:08 AM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.27, 01:34 PM   #89
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Sorry, Jihad, I still don't like Hata's song.

I warmed up to it though, I don't hate it.

EDIT:
Okay, I'm going to rant now.

It really annoys me that you guys continue to say "showtunes" as if it is 1) a genre of music and 2) somehow an inherently bad genre of music.
Way back in the golden age of Broadway (1930's to 1950's), the songs written were meant to follow the current musical tradition. Most of what you say is "showtunes" are just SWING OR BIG BAND MUSIC (which are based off jazz). Why would you derisively call "Onna no..." a "showtune" but not "The Lady Is a Tramp"? FACT: "The Lady Is a Tramp" is an ACTUAL SHOWTUNE (as in, a song written for a Broadway musical) and "Onna no..." isn't.
It's just ridiculous to use "showtune" as a way of dismissing a song, because "showtune" is not a genre ("showtunes" can differ between jazz, swing, big band, basically ANY GENRE that was popular in the 30's to 50's) and guess what? What we consider "big band" and "traditional pop" classics are mostly SHOWTUNES.
So stop using "showtune" as a way of saying something is bad, and stop acting like something being a "showtune" automatically makes it bad.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.01.27 at 05:15 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.28, 06:20 AM   #90
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I must say, I'm really surprised about Color Bars.

Actually, if this is where TJ's fifth album would've went, I'm sad it never came into being, even if it does feel more like 5 independent artists working together on a single release... this attitude might also be the major reason for their breaking up anyway.

Nevertheless I like the all-in-all dark and gloomy tone, this whole CD has to me and I've got hooked like crazy on sa_i_ta!! One of TJ phase 2's best songs, imho.

I'd kill to see them do honto no tokoro live, with Ringo taking over the drums, so Hata can pull off his bad-ass vocals!!!

Last edited by MBF : 2012.01.28 at 08:06 AM.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote