Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.12.11, 11:49 AM   #81
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Hmmm... What a complex title. I translated "chalk" into Spanish, and it would only be "tiza" (which is closer to "cement"):

The complete title would be "tiza, semen, flor de castaño (castaña)" -Wow

Last edited by Orenji : 2007.12.11 at 11:53 AM.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.11, 12:31 PM   #82
inaux

inaux pleased at least somebody

http://blog.pixnet.net/hearmhl/post/9940782

According to this blog (it's in chinese), kalk/karuki/加爾基 is a Japanese bleach brand name, which makes sense as it resembles the smell of the latter two.
inaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.11, 12:32 PM   #83
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

In Latin it would be "Calx, Semen, Flores Castaneae". :p
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.11, 01:07 PM   #84
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by madpawn View Post
In Latin it would be "Calx, Semen, Flores Castaneae". :p
What about swahili!!?!?
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.11, 01:29 PM   #85
madpawn

Finnish would be "Kalkki, Siemen, Kastanjan Kukkia", which is pretty cool.
Old 2007.12.11, 02:01 PM   #86
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

this has always been a moot point since Ringo has the furigana for "kalk" written right above the kanji, and then she puts the kanji for what she means below it, much in the same way she writes "zaamen" above the kanji for semen "seieki"

I subscribe to Kalk Semen Chestnut Blossom

edit: did you also know translation in Italian means "treason"? Translating ANY language you are never going to get the exact same meaning, ever. I mean look at how liberally Ringo translates her own titles so as to fit the symmetry and everything.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.11, 02:40 PM   #87
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I just found a pretty cool fact on Wikitheppn about this album:

"over 30 different types of instruments are played on this album"

I don't know if everyone already knew this and I should just read wiki pages more, but I think it's worth repeating at least.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.11, 02:57 PM   #88
madpawn

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
edit: did you also know translation in Italian means "treason"? Translating ANY language you are never going to get the exact same meaning, ever. I mean look at how liberally Ringo translates her own titles so as to fit the symmetry and everything.
Of course—traduttore, tradittore! Which is part of the fun of it, and makes it one of the most rewarding past times I can think of. You wouldn't believe the emotion you feel when you've successfully understood the meaning of something written in Ancient Egyptian—like you've read the thoughts of another human that existed 4000 years ago. That's why Shiina Ringo is cool—if it were all so easy to understand, there'd never be that "aha OMG!" epiphany to it. Things that translate easily can often also be disposed of just as easily, if you know what I mean.
Old 2007.12.11, 06:46 PM   #89
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

And then you have the music, which is universal and does not need to be translated.

For her next album I want SR to write just pure music, and if she insists on showcasing her vocal range let it be just meaningless phonetical syllables that match the music. Then the music will be up to the listener's interpretation, based on the feelings that the music evokes in the listener.

I know she's capable of that.
Old 2007.12.11, 07:15 PM   #90
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
And then you have the music, which is universal and does not need to be translated.

For her next album I want SR to write just pure music, and if she insists on showcasing her vocal range let it be just meaningless phonetical syllables that match the music. Then the music will be up to the listener's interpretation, based on the feelings that the music evokes in the listener.

I know she's capable of that.

I don't believe in literal translation, it is very tricky. You have two options really. Literally translating to the word as close as possible, to retain accuracy, and then translating to keep the concept and the ideas in place, because every culture has its own idioms and expressions. One of my history teachers used to translate Japanese novels and he was the one that would go on the rant about translation. We read this one translated novel and he asked someone what type of novel it was and they said "japanese" and he went on a rant about how it wasn't Japanese, it was translated from Japanese, and how the two mean totally different things.

When I try and translate Japanese to English I feel totally and completely incompetent whereas when I'm just existing inside a Japanese mental space it is much more comfortable. You just switch your brain over, the boundaries and rules are different. It is like Mac and PC. You do one and you do the other, but when you go from one to the other sometimes things get effed up.

And for once in a long time I agree with justriingo

there is the music, and this is really what matters. most of the appeal of Ringo's music is the sound, and while the lyrics do add a great amount, I was a fan of hers long before I ever knew what the hell she was saying and I think it would be kickass if she pulled a Yuki Kajiura and made a song full of nothing but jibberish syllables.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote